Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
They go into debt like everyone else in this nation. No different than college loans that can't be paid back, auto loans, and home loans that are far in excess of what a family can afford. It's called indentured servitude. Most families are into the game, not just the poor. The savings ethic has vanished in lieu of immediate satisfaction.
Doesn't anyone save anymore??? The stores all offered layaway plans and I know plenty that used them...

The only debt I have ever had is a first mortgage... my Grandmother would start every market day at the bank saying if she did not have the cash in hand... she couldn't afford to buy.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:38 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Doesn't anyone save anymore??? The stores all offered layaway plans and I know plenty that used them...

The only debt I have ever had is a first mortgage... my Grandmother would start every market day at the bank saying if she did not have the cash in hand... she couldn't afford to buy.
Some people can't save because of miserable slave wages. Others don't care about saving. But for sure the concept has become antiquated.

Throughout history the most important goal of the ruling class was to make the workers forever in debt to them. Hence the coal miner's song of the past:

Sixteen tons and what to you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go.
I owe my soul to the company store.

We are all complicit in the destruction of our children's future.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
They spent the same because things cost THE SAME for everyone else. The electric company won't lower someone's bills because they make $15k per year instead of $50k!

How do you not know that?

The again, we're comparing OLD MEN/Who had careers and had TIME to save a lot of money with females? Who aren't even paid the same as men, and who are too young to have had time to save a lot of money? WOW! This thread is mod edit: not intellectually stimulating!

Apple products are expensive, and a lot of young people are LOCKED into contracts too, they can't change phones like underwear!
If you are low income on Section 8 you automatically qualify for reduced rate utilities... at least his is how it works in my California utility district.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 11-06-2015 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: edited quoted text which has been moderated

Old 11-05-2015, 11:42 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
In Africa, this is how the thugs and foreign nations raise armies. They starve the population until they are ready to fight for the ruling Juntas.
I've been curious how tyrants come into power, read about it, watched documentaries about it and most times it's when the people are in poverty and become convinced that one man, a government can save them.

They say that it takes compassion, and a strong pursuit of justice, they'll blame everyone else for the people's suffering. They may start out in the right place but decide to do things their own way (much to the dismay of the masses). There is a PC or anyone who speaks out against them pay. They do not care for the value of life as much as they do achieving their selfish motives of domination, power, and immortality.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Some people can't save because of miserable slave wages. Others don't care about saving. But for sure the concept has become antiquated.

Throughout history the most important goal of the ruling class was to make the workers forever in debt to them. Hence the coal miner's song of the past:

I hear what you are saying and don't know how to respond... had my first Social Security payroll job at age 12... it paid $50 a week and needed to get a work permit from the Oakland School District.

Of that $50, Mom got $20 every Friday for room and board, $20 went into my Bank Savings Account that I could walk to from work... about $4 was used for withholding and I had a little more than $5 left over that was all mine and I did spend it... bought a burger everyday for lunch and it cost a $1... after all I was working and earning $1.25 an hour!

What I did not do was buy expensive concert tickets or spend money on sound systems and music... which is exactly what 99% of my friends did.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I've been curious how tyrants come into power, read about it, watched documentaries about it and most times it's when the people are in poverty and become convinced that one man, a government can save them.

They say that it takes compassion, and a strong pursuit of justice, they'll blame everyone else for the people's suffering. They may start out in the right place but decide to do things their own way (much to the dismay of the masses). There is a PC or anyone who speaks out against them pay. They do not care for the value of life as much as they do achieving their selfish motives of domination, power, and immortality.
Brewing fear of each other and of outsiders as well as impoverishing the populace always work well. Observe the demogogue Trump at work.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I hear what you are saying and don't know how to respond... had my first Social Security payroll job at age 12... it paid $50 a week and needed to get a work permit from the Oakland School District.

Of that $50, Mom got $20 every Friday for room and board, $20 went into my Bank Savings Account that I could walk to from work... about $4 was used for withholding and I had a little more than $5 left over that was all mine and I did spend it... bought a burger everyday for lunch and it cost a $1... after all I was working and earning $1.25 an hour!
I too worked from nothing as did my parents. But everything has changed. The government and the sort-wealthy have successfully scared everyone into a condition of permanent debt and indentured slavery.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:50 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:

This is what I am talking about when I say, the middle class, as they become more successful they waste their money foolishly, instead of buying that used car they could have paid cash for they use debt to buy new, they buy liabilities, things that take money out of their pocket, they exchange their time for a wage to pay their debt.

They've become wage slaves to the corporations. Some will work longer hours or get a higher education to make more money. They now pay higher taxes, the more you make the more the government takes. Congrats, they are now corporate and government slaves. Instead when they earn money they should be saving and investing it so they can buy their own freedom.

People think you have to have chains around their ankles to be a slave but they are wrong.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:58 AM

I drove the same $800 car I bought in High School for 21 years and still have the 1972 Plymouth Valiant... only let me down once in all those years... timing chain let go at 212,000 miles and had a auto club tow home

Less than $50 for parts and a Saturday morning and I was back on the road.

Owning that car was not without controversy... even the CEO pulled my aside and said she knew my salary and couldn't for the life of her understand why I drive such an old car... mind you... no rust, good paint and no accident damage...

Told her it has been very reliable and saved me a lot of money... just like the equipment I keep running for the company and she had to agree.

Some are savers and make do and others are consumers and well... consume.

One of my good friends is a family with good income... they need 12k a month just to pay the bills... new car payments, private schools, mortage, health club... etc... good thing they make good money!

Where I am the kind of person that sends in a little extra each month on the mortgage to pay it off sooner...

Old 11-05-2015, 12:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Most of the well off folks get their iPhones from work for free. It's essentially a work requirement.

Many bosses pay nothing for their personal expenses all paid for by the firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics