Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 10:17 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
In life as in archetypical myths there are the heroes and the lackies. Glad that we are on opposite sides.
Hint: Yours isn't the right one. Food banks intercept mass quantities of fresh and healthful food that would otherwise simply end up in the waste stream. This includes fruits, vegetable, grains, and meats that come from upscale grocers and 5-star restaurants and are of considerably better quality and nutritional value than what would be expected to be part of your own daily diet.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:41 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Serious question, are flip phones also smart phones? Because that is what they give out in Colorado, I'm not sure what brand/model they are because I don't have one. I have a flip phone, no data, $25 a month.
There isn't a phone included, lifeline is a discount of about $9 off of landline or cellphone service, the free phone is offered by the phone service provider probably because they know that most people will exceed the very limited minutes/data that are offered in the 'free plan' and they will make up the cost of a crappy cheap phone very quickly. Boost mobile doesn't provide lifeline but here's an example of the kind of "smartphone" that lifeline services provide (out of their own pocket, not ours)
Refurbished Certified Pre-Owned ZTE Warp Sequent | Boost Mobile

Old 11-06-2015, 10:52 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Hint: Yours isn't the right one. Food banks intercept mass quantities of fresh and healthful food that would otherwise simply end up in the waste stream. This includes fruits, vegetable, grains, and meats that come from upscale grocers and 5-star restaurants and are of considerably better quality and nutritional value than what would be expected to be part of your own daily diet.
Since I worked at a food bank, I can safely say that you are once again totally, unequivocally wrong. But that's what happens when one tries to understand real life by reading government propaganda sheets.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:58 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
This morning I ate a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and a cup of greek yogurt. It cost me about $1.50. There no doubt I could have eaten something healthier... a few ounces of organic free-ranging turkey and a green smoothie made from organic produce and yogurt. But my meal was a hell of a lot better than a Coke and half a box of cookies, and probably cheaper.

I won't even set foot in a Wal-Mart. If that is the only place available for some people to shop then I agree there is a real problem. And if it were up to me, people would not be able to buy things like soda and cookies using SNAP. I'm not sure it would do much good though, as I believe people will inevitably find a way to buy what they want.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
This morning I ate a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and a cup of greek yogurt. It cost me about $1.50. There no doubt I could have eaten something healthier... a few ounces of organic free-ranging turkey and a green smoothie made from organic produce and yogurt. But my meal was a hell of a lot better than a Coke and half a box of cookies, and probably cheaper.

I won't even set foot in a Wal-Mart. If that is the only place available for some people to shop then I agree there is a real problem. And if it were up to me, people would not be able to buy things like soda and cookies using SNAP. I'm not sure it would do much good though, as I believe people will inevitably find a way to buy what they want.
In most poor neighbors even good oatmeal is hard to find. The cheap instant oatmeal they can find is worthless (or practically so).

I agree though that it is quite alarming that on one hand society funds the purchase of junk food which makes them ill and then funds pharmaceuticals and medicine which ultimately does nothing for them.

I would like to think that this catastrophic situation is just an example of unintended consequences, but the reality is that super-corporations control all government programs and dumping junk food and tons of medicine into poor neighborhoods is highly planned. They do the same thing in most of Africa. Slavery never died, it just took on a different form.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:17 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I hear what you are saying and don't know how to respond... had my first Social Security payroll job at age 12... it paid $50 a week and needed to get a work permit from the Oakland School District.

Of that $50, Mom got $20 every Friday for room and board, $20 went into my Bank Savings Account that I could walk to from work... about $4 was used for withholding and I had a little more than $5 left over that was all mine and I did spend it... bought a burger everyday for lunch and it cost a $1... after all I was working and earning $1.25 an hour!

What I did not do was buy expensive concert tickets or spend money on sound systems and music... which is exactly what 99% of my friends did.
Really, charging your 12 year old child 40% of their gross wages for room and board? I would have learned a very different lesson.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:20 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Since I worked at a food bank, I can safely say that you are once again totally, unequivocally wrong. But that's what happens when one tries to understand real life by reading government propaganda sheets.
LOL! Since I have long involvements with upscale restaurants and currently work in the charitable sector, I have little trouble at all in recognizing stories such as these as nothing but poorly invented hogwash.

By the way, the nutritional value of cheap instant oatmeal is apt to be about the same or better than that of even not-cheap regular oatmeal.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
And if it were up to me, people would not be able to buy things like soda and cookies using SNAP. I'm not sure it would do much good though, as I believe people will inevitably find a way to buy what they want.
What's your reasoning? Is it that only people who receive SNAP benefits have crappy diets, or is it that since the program is funded by taxes we have a right to decide what they should eat? If you use any one of a number of deductions in order to reduce the amount you pay for income tax, you are in essence depriving the government of revenue that could be used for something else, so does that convey a right for the government to impose restrictions on the kinds of food that you can buy?

The diets of the poor people who I have worked with are impacted more by limited access to grocery stores (frequently the only stores within walking distance are liquor or convenience stores) and limited or no access to a place to store and cook food than by a desire to live on junk food.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
How long have you lived in Beverly Hills?

Our food bank receives its pallet loads of canned and boxed goods from overstocks at the wholesale level (think 500 cases of asparagus), which is combined with contributions made by individuals collected in food drives run by outside organizations. Food banks have little to no use for perishable foods. They rarely have the facilities or budget to freeze or refrigerate perishable items. Perhaps you are thinking of a food rescue organization?

Old 11-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
How long have you lived in Beverly Hills?
Our food bank receives its pallet loads of canned and boxed goods from overstocks at the wholesale level (think 500 cases of asparagus), which is combined with contributions made by individuals collected in food drives run by outside organizations. Food banks have little to no use for perishable foods. They rarely have the facilities or budget to freeze or refrigerate perishable items. Perhaps you are thinking of a food rescue organization?
^ That was my experience too, I used to drive people to food banks and they would come out with a loaf of stale bread and 6 cans of green beans. Once all they had was coffee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics