Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 07:58 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,372,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Been there done that. Trickle down supply side has been tried before, didn't work then and won't work now.
Can you say deflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,172,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Been there done that. Trickle down supply side has been tried before, didn't work then and won't work now.
Your right, it doesn't work. All they do is keep their money.

What this country needs is wage inflation.

Hand every business a bag of cash tomorrow and they wouldn't change a thing for the most part. They are already sitting on tons of cash.

Hand every consumer a bag of cash tomorrow and the economy would explode.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Your right, it doesn't work. All they do is keep their money.

What this country needs is wage inflation.

Hand every business a bag of cash tomorrow and they wouldn't change a thing for the most part. They are already sitting on tons of cash.

Hand every consumer a bag of cash tomorrow and the economy would explode.
You said it.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:28 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,938,995 times
Don't people realize if minimum wage was $15 hr everything around them would just become more expensive. Food, Clothes, Rent.. they'd all increase as businesses would have to raise prices to pay employees higher wages. Plus people would be very aware that minimum wage doubled and now people have higher incomes, so prices will rise simply because they can. There is always going to be someone at the bottom that's just the way it is.. It stinks.. but there's very little that can be done about that.

And you can't just make it $15hr overnight. Imagine I run a small company and I make $50k a year. My 10 employees each make $24k a year (around $10.50hr). If minimum wage suddenly went to $15 I'd have to come up with an extra $45 every hour. That comes out to an extra $93,000 a year... Where in the world am I supposed to come up with that when its already about double my salary and I'm the owner!!???? I'd be forced to fire a few of my guys, that or close down the business and go get a job flipping burgers at $15hr.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:26 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,172,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Don't people realize if minimum wage was $15 hr everything around them would just become more expensive. Food, Clothes, Rent.. they'd all increase as businesses would have to raise prices to pay employees higher wages. Plus people would be very aware that minimum wage doubled and now people have higher incomes, so prices will rise simply because they can. There is always going to be someone at the bottom that's just the way it is.. It stinks.. but there's very little that can be done about that.

And you can't just make it $15hr overnight. Imagine I run a small company and I make $50k a year. My 10 employees each make $24k a year (around $10.50hr). If minimum wage suddenly went to $15 I'd have to come up with an extra $45 every hour. That comes out to an extra $93,000 a year... Where in the world am I supposed to come up with that when its already about double my salary and I'm the owner!!???? I'd be forced to fire a few of my guys, that or close down the business and go get a job flipping burgers at $15hr.
I don't think it would be an equal increase if you keep earning the same profit amount in dollars.

Price vs labor is not a 1 to 1 ratio. Labor is only about 15-50% of total expenses depending on industry.

Raising labor only partially raises total expenses so prices only partially go up. In other words people would be paid a larger percent than the percent increase in prices.

Of course that would mean businesses would have to give employees a larger percent of revenue, but companies are doing just the opposite right now. They are giving employees a smaller and smaller piece of the pie so I doubt it would actually work out.

Businesses need to be careful though, if they get too greedy they will end up like businesses in Seattle where the government starts to dictate more and more on how you run your business.

When you have price inflation without wage inflation the system starts to break down.

Last edited by High Altitude; 03-02-2016 at 08:57 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 08:45 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,653,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I don't think it would be an equal increase if you keep earning the same profit amount in dollars.

Price vs labor is not a 1 to 1 ratio. Labor is only about 15-50% of total expenses depending on industry.

Raising labor only partially raises total expenses so prices only partially go up. In other words people would be paid a larger percent than the percent increase in prices.

Of course that would mean businesses would have to give employees a larger percent of revenue, but companies are doing just the opposite right now. They are giving employees a smaller and smaller piece of the pie so I doubt it would actually work out.

Businesses need to be careful though, if they get too greedy they will end up like businesses in Seattle where the government starts to dictate more and more on how you run your business.

When you have price inflation without wage inflation the system starts to break down.
Your factual post really serves to deny the propaganda regarding labor's piece of the price puzzle. No low wage business wants to be forced to pay more, and it is the low wage businesses that are leading the opposition to a higher min wage by frightening claims of much higher prices for ALL. Prices have always been rising throughout my lifetime, unlike wages that rise mostly in response. Like so much of the frictional politics we all suffer this will become another exercise in democracy VS special interest..

Old 03-03-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Don't people realize if minimum wage was $15 hr everything around them would just become more expensive....
And people don't realize that everything getting more expensive is called inflation and if you have that instead of stagflation you have full employment. That is the point.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:07 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,813,168 times
Why should people who do not deserve $15 per hour, as they are not worth it, be rewarded for their inability to contribute to society? That's moral hazard.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:49 PM

18,498 posts, read 15,487,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Why should people who do not deserve $15 per hour, as they are not worth it, be rewarded for their inability to contribute to society? That's moral hazard.
The minimum wage should be set to minimize the amount of moral hazard. The question is what amount is that? On the one hand, yes, excessively high minimum wage is a moral hazard in regards to developing the personal skills needed to earn more "fairly". On the contrary, a minimum wage that is too low is also a moral hazard - when employers have the upper hand and can exploit employees until it becomes a race to the bottom.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:00 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,813,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The minimum wage should be set to minimize the amount of moral hazard. The question is what amount is that? On the one hand, yes, excessively high minimum wage is a moral hazard in regards to developing the personal skills needed to earn more "fairly". On the contrary, a minimum wage that is too low is also a moral hazard - when employers have the upper hand and can exploit employees until it becomes a race to the bottom.
There is no such thing as "exploit" in economics. It is a free market exchange of labor for wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics