Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 03:42 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times

Advertisements

Ok, my buddy told me this (as i hardly watch TV anymore---). BUT, I HEARD THAT "Kmart is leasing Toys" for this Christmas season.
"Wat did he say???"
That's right!

Now, what does this mean?
  1. -the working poor can't even afford to purchase toys for their kids
  2. -the working poor are spoiling their kids
  3. -the working poor are not smart buying things they can't afford
  4. -Big Corps are now targeting the working poor and sucking the blood right out their veins
I SERIOUSLY doubt that on a "lease to own" toy purchase, many of them will have to give BACK THE TOYS or, will end up paying 3 times the original costs of the product.

Thoughts, opinions ?

LINK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
It's probably the same scam as rent to own tv appliances electronics or furniture. Have you read those contracts and the fine print on those things? Holy Jesus talk about loan sparking. You'll crap bricks of you see the rates. Personally I can't believe those places stay in business. But lots of people have no clue how to save and rely on these financial traps.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:59 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Ok, my buddy told me this (as i hardly watch TV anymore---). BUT, I HEARD THAT "Kmart is leasing Toys" for this Christmas season.
"Wat did he say???"
That's right!

Now, what does this mean?
  1. -the working poor can't even afford to purchase toys for their kids
  2. -the working poor are spoiling their kids
  3. -the working poor are not smart buying things they can't afford
  4. -Big Corps are now targeting the working poor and sucking the blood right out their veins
I SERIOUSLY doubt that on a "lease to own" toy purchase, many of them will have to give BACK THE TOYS or, will end up paying 3 times the original costs of the product.

Thoughts, opinions ?

LINK
Interesting. I think a lot of their clientele are the same type who use lease to own appliances and furniture, so they may have really tapped into something there. I will have to watch them and see if this last ditch effort to keep afloat actually works.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:00 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
I didn't seen anything there that made it look like businesses are forcing anyone to do this. It would appear to be something people can choose to do or choose not to do, all on their own. Did I miss something?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:01 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Sort of like Christmas layaway but it doesn't take up storage space at the store?

Probably better for the poor than their usual practice which is to use the December rent money for presents and then have to fight off eviction because they didn't pay the rent.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The thread title is a bit misleading, not that many "toys" are going to be over $150. From the link this definitely appears to be aimed at the consumer who would normally be buying appliances and electronics for the holidays, as many people get a new stove, refrigerator or TV before having all of the family and friends over for holiday celebrations. I'm sure there will be some people buying electronics as gifts, but other than maybe a kids electric car, most toys will not qualify for this program.
Kmart.com

Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times
My household income is far above working poor status, some would even say I'm solid middle class, but my kids have never received $150 in total toys on a holiday, let alone a single toy valued at more than $150.

I could see a bike (we buy used, but I can see not having $50 for a used bike and instead leasing a $200 bike), but not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics