Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 11:37 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Where you at man??

Which brand??

Let's buy it!!!
Brands owners normally dont manufacture anything, they are in business of creating an image and a want for the product. Actual manufacturing is done by the nameless contract manufacturers that dont put their name/location on a package. Usually, there is more than one contract manufacturer making the same branded product. Shop at Aldis, buy more junk, all I can say. We also manufacture authentic Michigan and Indiana chips, so packages says, for the lovers of local goods and traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 11:54 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Brands owners normally dont manufacture anything, they are in business of creating an image and a want for the product. Actual manufacturing is done by the nameless contract manufacturers that dont put their name/location on a package. Usually, there is more than one contract manufacturer making the same branded product. Shop at Aldis, buy more junk, all I can say. We also manufacture authentic Michigan and Indiana chips, so packages says, for the lovers of local goods and traditions.
Aldi corn chips.

I'll bear that in mind

Actually i'm surprised, snack manufacturing isn't shipped overseas yet

Old 11-15-2015, 12:12 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
China? Plastic Walmart crap, junk food of suspect origin, clothing from sweatshops, so......do you really need this stuff???
Who cares what the GDP is when it's all bamboo mixed drink umbrellas??
This is totally delusional. China has a world class manufacturing economy. Huawei has put US telecom out of business. Good luck finding any consumer electronics that doesn't come from China. China is on the bleeding edge in many technologies. You're not going to find a solar panel that isn't from China. China has been at it long enough that they have the institutional knowledge to stay on the leading edge. It's actually tough to manufacture electronics in the United States these days. All the infrastructure is in China.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:22 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Quote:
Aldi corn chips.

I'll bear that in mind

Actually i'm surprised, snack manufacturing isn't shipped overseas yet
Once in a while we ship the junk to China, so the Chinese could have some authentic American experience.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is totally delusional. China has a world class manufacturing economy. Huawei has put US telecom out of business. Good luck finding any consumer electronics that doesn't come from China. China is on the bleeding edge in many technologies. You're not going to find a solar panel that isn't from China. China has been at it long enough that they have the institutional knowledge to stay on the leading edge. It's actually tough to manufacture electronics in the United States these days. All the infrastructure is in China.
Ericsson and Cisco are still huge in telecom. Solar panels are often manufactured in the US (there's a factory right by where I work) and Germany as well as China.

Final assembly of electronics and making enclosures and such is often done in China because it's cheap. Some more complex manufacturing is done in China and Taiwan, but quite a lot of it is still done in the US.

In general though, yes, people vastly underrate the ability of China to churn out quality products.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Some people are really having difficulty understanding retail sales.

I'll give you an example.

A decade ago let's say you bought 10 cartoons of milk, a dollar each, $10 spent.

Fast forward to now.

$3 each and $30 spent.

You can't just make stuff up. The data totally refutes everything you write.

This chart shows that the retail price of milk has gone from $3.00 to $3.50 in a decade. Milk is a horrible example because of all the dairy industry subsidies. We had a new farm bill in 2014. Pick something that doesn't have the industry sucking at the teat of the Federal government.

Here's a recent article from a few days ago talking about the price collapse of milk
Plunge In Milk Prices Stresses Dairy Farmers - Dairy - News | Agweb.com

Quote:
Milk prices that were at record-high levels in 2014 have abruptly plunged this winter, bringing new economic pressures on the region's dairy farmers.

Milk prices that exceeded $24 per 100 lbs. — roughly 9 gallons — at times in 2014 have dropped into the $15 range, reminding farmers of 2009, the year prices fell below $12 and many farms lost money.

I see $12.00 and losing money in 2009. $15.00 and the risk of losing money today.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

You can't just make stuff up. The data totally refutes everything you write.

This chart shows that the retail price of milk has gone from $3.00 to $3.50 in a decade. Milk is a horrible example because of all the dairy industry subsidies. We had a new farm bill in 2014. Pick something that doesn't have the industry sucking at the teat of the Federal government.

Here's a recent article from a few days ago talking about the price collapse of milk
Plunge In Milk Prices Stresses Dairy Farmers - Dairy - News | Agweb.com

I see $12.00 and losing money in 2009. $15.00 and the risk of losing money today.
I totally used milk as an example.

Just made up the price, not related to actual price of milk.

Only a product.

But people are obsessed with data

Comparing to a decade before price of every good is higher.

That's what i meant.

Don't get carried by the example

But you are right i shouldn't have used milk.

Commodities are also down but you don't see that reflecting to consumer prices.

This is another major issue

Old 11-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Ericsson and Cisco are still huge in telecom. Solar panels are often manufactured in the US (there's a factory right by where I work) and Germany as well as China.

Final assembly of electronics and making enclosures and such is often done in China because it's cheap. Some more complex manufacturing is done in China and Taiwan, but quite a lot of it is still done in the US.

In general though, yes, people vastly underrate the ability of China to churn out quality products.

Err... Ericsson is a Swedish company. I've done a ton of business with them and spent a lot of time in Stockholm. I know a ton of people who work in their Plano (Dallas) facility. They don't do much R&D or manufacturing in the United States and only about 10% of their employees are in the US. They have 20,000+ people in India. Executive row is in Stockholm.

All the recent news about Cisco is layoffs and restructuring. They are feeling enormous pressure in their core switch business. They're swimming in cash so they've been buying back their stock to prop up stock prices. The handwriting is clearly on the wall.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I totally used milk as an example.

Just made up the price, not related to actual price of milk.

Only a product.

But people are obsessed with data

And some people just make things up. Stating an incorrect and unsubstantiated opinion over and over doesn't make you correct.

The world I live in professionally, I use data to invalidate or invalidate my assumptions about things. If my assumption is wrong and somebody can show me the data, I have no ego in admitting I had it wrong and change to a new set of assumptions. I can't afford to be intellectually dishonest and cling to false beliefs. I'd get fired. I apply that process to the rest of my life.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:52 PM

Then we should support Cisco.

Let's buy more Cisco stuff.

I don't understand how Cisco is doing bad especially in a time when all infrastructure is being updated??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics