Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 02:31 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about a dip in auto sales anyways. Suppliers are much more diversified today, meaning they can simply move on to manufacturing components needed in other sectors. We shouldn't expect to see massive layoffs of workers and bankruptcies of automotive suppliers. The industry as a whole is much more flexible and capable of adjusting to market demands than pre recession.

So while I do not think the present level of automobile sales are sustainable, I wouldn't worry about a drop in demand having a huge impact. Many automotive workers are tired of 10-12 hour workdays anyhow.
Me neither.

But it is obvious sales can not last much longer.

Car makers are bringing record numbers of models to market.

Obviously feeling the bubble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 05:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Me neither.

But it is obvious sales can not last much longer.

Car makers are bringing record numbers of models to market.

Obviously feeling the bubble
Trolololololololol. So I should buy gold now?!??!!!?!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I wouldn't.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
With practically every commodity near their 2009 lows, the world is obviously in another Great Recession thanks to the Central Banks. Could be why Draghi was told to take a cold shower.

In any case, what is obvious to most of the world will soon become obvious to the stock market junkies and addicts. The economy is in the pits and no amount of government statistical junk data and money printing binges can hide it much longer from the uber-rich controlled media.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
With practically every commodity near their 2009 lows, the world is obviously in another Great Recession thanks to the Central Banks. Could be why Draghi was told to take a cold shower.

In any case, what is obvious to most of the world will soon become obvious to the stock market junkies and addicts. The economy is in the pits and no amount of government statistical junk data and money printing binges can hide it much longer from the uber-rich controlled media.
The price of commodities isn't what determines whether economies are in recession or not. The definition of recession is two successive quarters of GDP decline. This isn't happening.

Of course, you seem to have decided that the government makes up statistics, even if there is no evidence of such. Those who champion their own world-view often dismiss inconvenient facts that undercut that view.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:56 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The price of commodities isn't what determines whether economies are in recession or not. The definition of recession is two successive quarters of GDP decline. This isn't happening.

Of course, you seem to have decided that the government makes up statistics, even if there is no evidence of such. Those who champion their own world-view often dismiss inconvenient facts that undercut that view.
I love definitions. They are great for propaganda.

"We're not in a recession because the government says we're not".

Last edited by richrf; 12-08-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 07:04 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Pre-Great Recession, gold was below $800. $1,070-ish doesn't look like a buying opportunity. I'm all-in on tin foil hat futures, myself.

I think our continued income stratification and middle class erosion problem is going to have a long-term impact on certain sectors in retail. If you have to pick between food and $200 LeBron James basketball shoes, you're going to pick food.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Pre-Great Recession, gold was below $800. $1,070-ish doesn't look like a buying opportunity. I'm all-in on tin foil hat futures, myself.

I think our continued income stratification and middle class erosion problem is going to have a long-term impact on certain sectors in retail. If you have to pick between food and $200 LeBron James basketball shoes, you're going to pick food.
I agree with that choice, but there are still a lot of people that would go for the shoes - or the latest i-phone.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:57 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:

Um, no. We're not in a recession because GDP is rising not falling.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:

Well then we should all subscribe to the richrf school of economics, where definition of an economic measure is that which matches your rhetoric, and all others must be dismissed as lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics