Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:46 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kevin View Post
Gold is Money. If the FED rebels against Dollar Strength, then oil will rise, stocks will fly, and we will head into negative interest rates and the destruction of all fiat currencies.

Negative interest rates are the final act of the apocalypse. Then gold will rise exponentially. And the only currencies that will survive will be those backed by gold. So, the choice will not be easy for the FED. If they raise interest rates, it will support the US Dollar, save the US Dollar as a world reserve currency, but it will deflate the global economy, brick by brick, oil and commodities first, then multinational corporations, then force foreign defaults of US Dollar debt taken out during the massive QE flood of money that inflated the global debt bubble, then the crash of banks, then the Great Depression (finally).

It seems like the FED has to choose either the Great Depression now, or later, after the complete destruction of the fiat currency system. The strong Dollar begins the deflation now. The weak Dollar begins the deflation after all the currencies have been destroyed. That seems to be the only choice the FED has now. It should have begun raising interest rates (small steady increases) in 2001, making money more expensive and not supporting the debt bubble inflation that has been the new religion of central banks, which I believe will be proven to have been a catastrophe.
What you're saying here is a dated narrative. It already happened, when the precious metals
were bid up years ago. Since then, money expansion has continued, but the metals have
dropped precipitously. That is not a good omen for precious metals because in the face of
massive debt and massive money creation and artificially low to non-existent interest rates,
they haven't had any problem keeping gold in check.
The Fed is most likely to tighten, and rates will creep higher, which will be bad for gold
as it will have to compete with the dollar's yield. Stocks will fall, but gold will not rise
significantly - and may even drop further as interest yields on currencies and debt rise.
Moreover, if there is war, governments tend to protect their currencies.
In today's system, as long as the electrical power is running, they can do whatever
they please with prices. The financial averages and big money data is all run by computers.
These computers are programmed by the Fed's operatives across all markets.
As long as the U.S. can protect itself as a country, the dollar is likely to maintain
use in popular circles which means that gold will be held in check by the establishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:06 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kevin View Post
Gold is Money. If the FED rebels against Dollar Strength, then oil will rise, stocks will fly, and we will head into negative interest rates and the destruction of all fiat currencies.

Negative interest rates are the final act of the apocalypse. Then gold will rise exponentially. And the only currencies that will survive will be those backed by gold. So, the choice will not be easy for the FED. If they raise interest rates, it will support the US Dollar, save the US Dollar as a world reserve currency, but it will deflate the global economy, brick by brick, oil and commodities first, then multinational corporations, then force foreign defaults of US Dollar debt taken out during the massive QE flood of money that inflated the global debt bubble, then the crash of banks, then the Great Depression (finally).

It seems like the FED has to choose either the Great Depression now, or later, after the complete destruction of the fiat currency system. The strong Dollar begins the deflation now. The weak Dollar begins the deflation after all the currencies have been destroyed. That seems to be the only choice the FED has now. It should have begun raising interest rates (small steady increases) in 2001, making money more expensive and not supporting the debt bubble inflation that has been the new religion of central banks, which I believe will be proven to have been a catastrophe.

Gold is still nothing more than a heavily manipulated commodity. Like anything else. Look at the diamond market. Diamonds are plentiful. DeBeers Corp has a death grip on the market. That whole market is manipulated to keep prices up by that company. He'll try own most if not all diamond producing mines. And if they don't I bet they try to buy all diamonds they don't mine. DeBeers started the whole if you love her a diamond ring shows it so buy it to prove it back in the 1900s. Try buying a diamond ring and then try selling it. The second sale price you get is probably 75% over its true worth. Try buying a good ring and try selling it. Same thing.
If you could buy all the copper in the world and create a shortage you would make copper expensive

Old 11-28-2015, 11:26 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I have a number of metals but they are not wealth .
I buy silver for making colloidal silver and silver is a good material for many other things too.
I have steel and brass, aluminum, and coper and lead, for making repairs and developing ideas as well.
Some materials are hard to get when you need them, and having a reserve pays off.
As for gold ,unless it is in bullion form, it's hard to sell, and at that takes some one that has the capacity to prove it's worth.
In the event of economic collapse, one is at the mercy of the assayer to prove it's worth ,and let's face it, trust is going to be hard to find.
I have seen even silver coin been filled with a steel slug.
So unless you know what your looking at, and have the power to prove it ,moving gold, or any precious metal is gong to be tough.
Now if your already worth a few million, then you can afford to own the equipment to assay it your self. own all you want.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:38 AM

233 posts, read 202,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
What you're saying here is a dated narrative. It already happened, when the precious metals
were bid up years ago. Since then, money expansion has continued, but the metals have
dropped precipitously. That is not a good omen for precious metals because in the face of
massive debt and massive money creation and artificially low to non-existent interest rates,
they haven't had any problem keeping gold in check.
The Fed is most likely to tighten, and rates will creep higher, which will be bad for gold
as it will have to compete with the dollar's yield. Stocks will fall, but gold will not rise
significantly - and may even drop further as interest yields on currencies and debt rise.
Moreover, if there is war, governments tend to protect their currencies.
In today's system, as long as the electrical power is running, they can do whatever
they please with prices. The financial averages and big money data is all run by computers.
These computers are programmed by the Fed's operatives across all markets.
As long as the U.S. can protect itself as a country, the dollar is likely to maintain
use in popular circles which means that gold will be held in check by the establishment.
Yes, as the dollar keep rising into a cyclical economic downturn that is way overdue, gold and silver will still be adversely affected. however, their decline will moderate as the rest of the economy starts suffering. I'd be worried more right now owning property and stocks than gold and silver.

Gold prices are based on paper gold. I don't see a strong recovery anytime soon, but long run gold prices will rise simply because paper prices can never solve physical demand issues long term. Like a game of musical chairs, someone holding paper solver in the future will find he's holding nothing but paper of bankrupt gold contact writers and holding company firms with no assets.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:40 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times
Depends on what you would consider an emergency. Standard 3-4 day wait for emergency services vs. week(s) long self-sufficiency vs. SHTF. As everyone else has pointed out, you can't eat precious metals, nor will they keep you warm, but in a short case scenario, they would have a limited value. As long as someone thinks it has value, it does. A quarter ounce of gold might buy you enough staples to get through an emergency if the other person thinks the gold will have value after the event.

How much value does 5 gallons of gas hold? If you only have a hand saw, not much. Chain saw, a bit more. Generator, maybe even more. Trying to get your family to the next exit on the freeway, who is to say?

I would say if you feel the need for gold, make sure it's marked (bullion, coins) and keep it on the small side. Same for silver. It should not take the place of better survival items, but if you thinking you might be in a barter environment, having a diversified compliment of items to barter with could be the tipping point.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:49 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No. Gold is worthless. I rather stock food, tp, ammo, guns, fuel, shelter, stuff that actually has value and helps you survive. Gold can't feed you, keep you warm or dry.
Gold helps if you have some sort of trading/civilization and need a item as currency everyone agrees on. And if you're talking total global collapse there are millions of pounds of gold in houses, in banks, etc. it won't be rare.
Right now you got 3 billion people and 10 million pounds of gold. Apocalypse you have 10 million pounds of gold and 5 million people

If you're talking a regular local emergency no. I have cash and a few silver coins I collected but IMO aren't hugely valuable. Enough to get by for a while. Otherwise it's cc or I'll go to the bank and get more. If the world ends cash is worthless but so its gold.

Gold is NEVER going to be worthless. The problem with gold is that it would be confiscated by the government, or outlawed as a form of currency in the event of an economic emergency. And the reason it would be confiscated by the government is because.... gold is never worthless.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:00 PM

233 posts, read 202,209 times
It's important to understand that Gold is strong in comparison to all other currencies but the dollar. If the Fed tightens the dollar will rise even further and gold will fall not as much but third world countries will buy more as a hedge against their falling currency.

Dollar up; gold down; oil down; stocks down. Long live the Strong US Dollar!!!!!

Old 11-28-2015, 12:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
No I stock seeds so I can survive in a long term case of apocalypse situation.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:18 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Gold is still nothing more than a heavily manipulated commodity. Like anything else.
Bingo. In a SHTF scenario, there's no particular reason gold would be worth more than any other element on the periodic table.

Paranoid people who listen to scam artists stock up on it out of some irrational belief that it'll save them when the apocalypse comes. Those people then lose their shirts when the price falls.

If you want to be prepared, stock up on food and water. You know, things people can actually use.
Quote:
If you could buy all the copper in the world and create a shortage you would make copper expensive
Copper runs actually happen on occasion. When I was in grad school we used lots of copper (ultra high vacuum systems) and the price would occasionally soar.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Gold is NEVER going to be worthless. The problem with gold is that it would be confiscated by the government, or outlawed as a form of currency in the event of an economic emergency. And the reason it would be confiscated by the government is because.... gold is never worthless.

Ok let's put this scenario

I have two cans of food. You have a pound of gold and you offer me your gold to feed your starving kids with my can of food. I say no it's not worth it to me. Your gold is worthless in this scenario.

You're thinking that there is a government and its just a emergency. Food and help will be coming. Ok that's one thing. Let's say it's a temporary emergency like a earthquake or flood. Even then how are you going to spend your gold. You're sure as hell not standing in line at the supermarket and cutting up a bar of gold for your groceries. Again while there may be a agreed united agreement it has a value who gives it it's monetary value?

Gold only has a value because people agree it has a value. At one point sea shells were used for money because people agreed it had a value. Heck Roman soldiers got paid in salt because it was rare. Bitcoin has a value to some because someone agreed that it has a value yet most people don't use it.

Gold was at one point up in the what? Pumped in the 1550 dollar range. What's it worth now 1050? So it dropped about a third if it's " value". I know gold bugs got the stuffing beat out of them a few years back. Anyone who bought back then lost their azz. Again it's no longer a true conveyance of monetary value like it as it was. It's nothing more than something to invest in like oil, food housing etc.
I just don't believe in investing in precious metals. If someone wants to that's fine. It just doesn't interest me.

Keep some around if you think it has some value to someone. The problem may come when they see the bottle of water or can of food as being worth twice the gold you have on hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics