Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 10:56 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Zerohedge is...well...
Its not ALWAYS wrong. just 95% or 99% of the time. But its a good place to read to start investigating things. Because if they are wrong 95% of the time, then finding out WHY they are wrong is educational. All too often the answer comes down to "The world isn't that simple". And its those complexities that are worth understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 03:54 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Insightful? Like all the stuff from the Tyler Durden author(s) over the years on the stock market?
You posted several links that were supposed to prove your point and it all boiled down to 1 sentence in 1 story out of all the ones you put forth. W/E.

Today is a good example.

"Nobody Could Have Possibly Seen This Coming" | Zero Hedge

That story has about a dozen links from stories over the last 6 months that predicted the high yield aka junk bond mess.

Camera-On-A-Stick Goes Full Kodak - Crashes 16% To Record Lows | Zero Hedge

Here is a story about GO-Pro crashing below its IPO price, Zerohedge had a few good articles out back before the IPO about why to stay clear of it.

I could keep going but I have a feeling that facts don't really matter to you.

Yes there are a ton of really stupid comments, yes the contributing authors from other blogs are mostly crazy, yes they like to point out doom and gloom scenarios. None of that should distract you from the really useful information that is available.

YOU TAKE THAT INFO AND DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER INVESTMENT ADVICE.

Don't believe me though.

Zero Hedge: Wall Street's daily dose of doom and gloom - Sep. 25, 2014

Quote:
Even though stocks have zoomed to record highs since Zero Hedge launched in 2009, the site continues to hold serious sway among hedge funds, traders and others in finance. That's because Zero Hedge's dark perspective has struck a chord with the sizable portion of the public who remain deeply skeptical of the stock market and economy.
Sometimes the site gets it right before everyone else. Zero Hedge is credited with flagging financial issues like high-frequency trading before they became sexy mainstream stories.
"It's extremely influential in the New York, London and global hedge fund community. I meet clients in London and they mention it, and I meet regulators in Washington and they mention it," said Nicholas Colas, chief market strategist at ConvergEx Group, a brokerage firm.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Zerohedge is...well...
Its not ALWAYS wrong. just 95% or 99% of the time. But its a good place to read to start investigating things. Because if they are wrong 95% of the time, then finding out WHY they are wrong is educational. All too often the answer comes down to "The world isn't that simple". And its those complexities that are worth understanding.

lol, they arent even wrong close to 95% of the time. Go find me 95 out of any 100 articles that have been proven wrong.

Most of the stuff they write isn't even predictions as in "this is gonna happen" its more of a keep your eye on this development as this might happen.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
You posted several links that were supposed to prove your point and it all boiled down to 1 sentence in 1 story out of all the ones you put forth. W/E.

Today is a good example.

"Nobody Could Have Possibly Seen This Coming" | Zero Hedge

That story has about a dozen links from stories over the last 6 months that predicted the high yield aka junk bond mess.

Camera-On-A-Stick Goes Full Kodak - Crashes 16% To Record Lows | Zero Hedge

Here is a story about GO-Pro crashing below its IPO price, Zerohedge had a few good articles out back before the IPO about why to stay clear of it.

Yes there are a ton of really stupid comments, yes the contributing authors from other blogs are mostly crazy, yes they like to point out doom and gloom scenarios. None of that should distract you from the really useful information that is available.

YOU TAKE THAT INFO AND DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER INVESTMENT ADVICE.

Don't believe me though.

Zero Hedge: Wall Street's daily dose of doom and gloom - Sep. 25, 2014
Thread destroyed.

Great job.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
No, I demonstrated they endorsed the opinions, using it as a source.

When the author(s) Tyler Durden links to an article about the hyperinflation in Belarus and says coming to a developed country near you, what do you think they are implying? Hyperinflation, which is what they've been incorrectly calling for every year.

Quote:
I have a feeling you're a zerohedge fanboy that is butthurt.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:

When the author(s) Tyler Durden links to an article about the hyperinflation in Belarus and says coming to a developed country near you, what do you think they are implying? Hyperinflation, which is what they've been incorrectly calling for every year.

It appears as if you're the one that's "butthurt."

You made a statement and the majority of the responders in this thread disagree with you. Are people not allowed to have their own opinion?

If you choose to ignore everything from that website, that's your prerogative, and you are entitled to that decision, but don't throw a temper tantrum when people don't agree with you.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
If you choose to ignore everything from that website, that's your prerogative, and you are entitled to that decision, but don't throw a temper tantrum when people don't agree with you.
Temper tantrum? Interesting interpretation you have of this thread.

From what I can tell people are desperately trying to pass off content ZeroHedge puts on their site, which has consistently claimed impending hyperinflation for years now, as not really anything to do with ZeroHedge despite the authors commentary endorsing the content.

Can do no wrong then eh?

Old 12-14-2015, 05:20 PM

US Inflation On Track To Hit 8.3% In 2011 | Zero Hedge
Quote:
US Inflation On Track To Hit 8.3% In 2011
Government Shutdown: The Next Step In The Collapse Of The Dollar? | Zero Hedge
Quote:
Devaluation seems to be inevitable regardless of the outcome of the funding debate.
All day boys...

Old 12-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Temper tantrum? Interesting interpretation you have of this thread.

From what I can tell people are desperately trying to pass off content ZeroHedge puts on their site, which has consistently claimed impending hyperinflation for years now, as not really anything to do with ZeroHedge despite the authors commentary endorsing the content.

Can do no wrong then eh?
No publication is always right. Forecasting is very difficult.

If you don't want to forecast, then an easy answer would be to use the Markowitz approach, and create an efficient portfolio where approximately 80% of your portfolio is allocated in investment grade bonds and 20% of your portfolio is allocated in a market instrument with no diversifiable risk.

For others who wish to make decisions based on forecasts, zerohedge is another source of information they can utilize to obtain additional information in order to make the best possible informed decision.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:

Go ahead and ignore everything I posted. Thats fine.

And your wrong about them simply calling for hyperinflation every year. Here is their view repeated just last month.

What's Next: Deflation, Inflation, Or Hyperinflation? | Zero Hedge

Quote:
Our view is that Taleb will be proved right. Back in 2009, we predicted “Tokyo… then Buenos Aires” – a Japan-like deflation, followed by Argentine-like hyperinflation. Most likely, there will be no stop in between for moderate levels of inflation. Inflation, as economist Milton Friedman observed, is “always and everywhere” a monetary phenomenon.

We’re still in a Japan-like long, slow slump. And it looks as though we’re going to be there a while longer.
Did you catch that? Back in 2009 they predicted this. They haven't changed their view. Not that they can't. Everyone has view until they find enough evidence to either support it or change it. They still haven't been proven incorrect.

Quote:

Sure....The last resort of all who cannot win their arguments with facts....start with the name calling and insults.

lol.

Look you are free to believe whatever you want. If you feel like Zerohedge is a waste of your time by all means, steer clear of it. I really don't care what you do. Just don't start making up stuff trying to convince other people of your view. Anyone who is interested can read your arguments and my arguments and decide for themselves.

Last edited by justanokie; 12-15-2015 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics