Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
But specialties like that almost all require a masters degree.

The median salary for an RN in the US is ~67k.

Registered Nurse Salary Information | Best Jobs | US News Careers

As mentioned above Nurse Anesthetists aren't just specialized RNs they have at least a Master's in anesthesiology

Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists Fact Sheet
This is a lot more in-line with my understanding. I remember having a discussion awhile back with someone about it, thinking they made a LOT more coming out the gate. Turns out they don't, with some exceptions like the ones mentioned in California.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:25 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
This is a lot more in-line with my understanding. I remember having a discussion awhile back with someone about it, thinking they made a LOT more coming out the gate. Turns out they don't, with some exceptions like the ones mentioned in California.
It really depends. They can.Traveling nurses make more, working overnight's will get you significantly more, and there is usually OT pretty readily available, which can get you more. But for standard starting pay in most moderate COL areas in the US I think they typically start based on a 36 hour work week ~$45-55k.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Avocado View Post
That chart puts me, my husband and son in the upper class. I sure don't feel like our income is upper class though!!!
It's kind of a strange phenomenon, isn't it? Lots of people in this thread struggle with that concept, refusing to admit that they are upper class. They've been entrenched in their finances so much that they think having millions in the bank is still on par class-wise with those that have $10k in the bank and social security as their sole income.

This seems to be the common theme for many people's perception of class:

Lower class: poor people, low credit, living paycheck to paycheck, typically renters, might be in varying levels of debt. Filthy living conditions, run down old appliances, etc.
Middle class: regular joes, good credit, typically homeowners, 2 cars and a yearly vacation, saves some for retirement
Upper class: wear monacles and tophats, ride their golden helicopters over their caviar factories

Everybody wants to be a regular joe for some reason. A big problem with these definitions are how subjective they are. You can own an $80k home and two 15 year old cars, then take a trip each year to a waterpark. Are they in the same class as someone that owns an $800k home and 2 late-model luxury vehicles, and take a yearly trip to Europe? Of course not. Quality defines the difference.

In the end, it doesn't really matter though. It's not like you get an Upper Class Certification Card, with perks to skip waiting in lines, get free meals, complimentary cars, etc. Money just opens up more options.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Everybody wants to be a regular joe for some reason. A big problem with these definitions are how subjective they are. You can own an $80k home and two 15 year old cars, then take a trip each year to a waterpark. Are they in the same class as someone that owns an $800k home and 2 late-model luxury vehicles, and take a yearly trip to Europe? Of course not. Quality defines the difference.

In the end, it doesn't really matter though. It's not like you get an Upper Class Certification Card, with perks to skip waiting in lines, get free meals, complimentary cars, etc. Money just opens up more options.
the bolded is why I think 90% of our society believes they are middle class. Lifestyle inflation and your reference point. There are very few people making $500k/yr living in $140k homes and driving a 15 yr old Camry with insane amount of disposable income every month. Most people making $500k/yr are driving 70k Yukons with a mortgage payment on an $800k 3.5k sq ft home in a very nice neighborhood, a home that is nowhere close to being the biggest in the neighborhood. They are middle class when they look at their neighbors.

I also think this is part of the reason we are seeing the degradation of the "middle class", because we have become very consumeristic as a society. It's tough for a lot of people to not live paycheck to paycheck when you have to have a 2.5-3k sq ft house, with 4-5 bedrooms, 2 relatively new cars, cable television, 2 new Iphones, keep your home at 68 degrees year round, eat out 3-4x a week, go to the movies, and other social events, send your kids to summer camps, spend $300/month per person on groceries, and go to a foreign country every year on vacation. If I ask my parents what that lifestyle was when they were growing up (born in the late 50s), they definitely would not have considered it middle class, but for some reason we do now. My generation (millennials) seems to be the worst about it.

People make fun of me because I go to the library to get my books, I keep my house at 78-80 in the summer and 62-63 in the winter, I bring my lunch to work every day, I go hiking, kayaking, etc. for fun because its inexpensive. But I don't care because I'm the "middle class" person that isn't living near paycheck to paycheck and the millennial that is managing to save 33% of their income for retirement even with a baby in daycare.

If people actually stopped and looked at their habits they could find so much money. I know of several people I work with that eat out for breakfast and lunch almost every day and get 2-3 Starbucks coffees every day.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:02 PM

Is it lifestyle creep or inflation that's causing the spikes in costs? Look at three of the largest expenditures we face, their costs are skyrocketing...

Quote:
As Table 5 indicates, the actual price of the median house has increased by 150%, from $79,100 to $197,600 over the past two decades. The last column indicates that this was 56% faster than the
overall rate of inflation.

This means that the equivalent down-payment and mortgage payments for a house have gone up at a rate faster than the increase in family incomes for many families.

As many have noted, the price of health care expenditures paid by families, including both premiums and out-of-pocket medical expenditures has soared over the past two decades. We estimate this has gone from $1,200/year to $5,100/year, a 325% increase in price. This is 155% more than the overall rate of inflation and far above the rate of increase in incomes.

Finally, the price of college has also gone up rapidly. Tuition, fees, and room and board at four-year public colleges have increased 60% faster than the overall rate of inflation over this time period, while they have increased 43% faster at four-year private schools.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:06 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Wow, nurses in my area, east, don't make anything near that.
The SF Bay Area is near the pinnacle for RN's...

There was a time when every soon to be grad had a job locked up and sign on with relocation bonuses were common... not quite so much.

One of our RN's has family in Hawaii and decided she would look for a nursing job there... she asked for a got a 5k relocation assistance.

I had a friend that was a charge nurse a few years back in Cedar City Utah... her compensation was about 40% of the SF Bay Area...

Old 12-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see. Yeah, if you pick one of the highest salaried areas for that, it makes sense.

National averages are much lower, it just depends on where they go for their first job. A $100k starting salary isn't a guarantee everywhere.
The SF Bay Area just happens to be where I am... including myself, there have been 5 generations of my family living in Oakland CA...

Old 12-21-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I salute you sir!!

They're not making those decent vans anymore
I hope to keep it as long as possible... the one aggravation is having to take a 30 year old vehicle in for treadmill smog checks... actually required going back 40 years.

Last time I brought in my 1976 Triumph the smog tech had never seen dual Zenith Stromberg carburetors and really did not have a clue...

The middle class needs to be resourceful... simply because resources are limited...

Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Is it lifestyle creep or inflation that's causing the spikes in costs? Look at three of the largest expenditures we face, their costs are skyrocketing...
The price of the median home has gone up a lot, but the size of the median home has doubled as well, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. For college I would be interested to see the cost of tuition vs tuition and room and board, so how fast has tuition alone increased and college is only a major expense for 4 years and only for about 60% of people. Health care there really isn't anything I can say that has outpaced inflation drastically, which is why people should focus on their health and take advantage of Lower cost plans and HSAs.

And holy cow on that articles assumptions on 2 cars @ 25k miles/yr/car. Where do they go? We put on about 20k miles/yr on 2 cars (7 and 13).

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 12-21-2015 at 04:28 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 06:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Lets take something incredibly complex, the entire economy of a country with over 300 million people and boil it down to 'they deserved it'.

Good God.
ya think? I'll never forget when Bill Clinton was president and Hillary was trying to push through Hillarycare.

I walked in for morning report and the nurses were really *****!!! They were talking about what Hillary said about nurses. Someone cut out the article from the newspaper and put on the bulletin board. It quoted Hillary who said that nurses were under educated and over paid. I read the article and wasn't too happy about it either.

They didn't have internet at the time but other nurses remember it too.
http://allnurses.com/general-nursing...132-page7.html

After that her dad became ill and she had a whole hospital wing of nurses to take care of him.

Last edited by petch751; 12-21-2015 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics