Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think your terminology was of the poorest kind and one that disingenuously labels a group based on your perception

What you might have seen were some cases and you clearly ally that label to others you observe and feel would be in that class

Conceptually your point is irrelevant IMO of course. I understand fungibility just as well as I understand if someone has an xbox they aren't denied EBT benefits because you simply don't like it

It absolutely is because this topic is societal and not one I could solve with a check. Furthermore what is being discussed here is changes that would impact an entire society not just myself or my checkbook

You are incorrect they are both parts of the same issue

I don't recall saying that at all

I believe higher earners should pay more both in dollar terms and percentage terms than lower wage earners
As I said earlier, come out of your ivory tower sometime, and get a better understanding of what's actually happening. Until you do, you will never understand (or believe) what I have described. And without that understanding, it would be of no use to continue this discussion with you.

Thanks, I've enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
the same "middle class" that gets lifestyle "boosts" to deduct children, education expenses, home mortgage interest, etc etc paid for by others?
?

or were you discussing a different middle class?
Oh, you mean those from AGI deductions, both itemized and standard, that are available to all, not just the middle class?

Yeah, I thought that was what you were talking about.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I rented a house that was taxed an extra $1,500 because it was a rental. Is it fair to tax lower earners more?
Given that you could choose not to rent the house, it's a non-issue. It seems rather silly to complain about something that you are free to opt-out of.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Given that you could choose not to rent the house, it's a non-issue. It seems rather silly to complain about something that you are free to opt-out of.

??? ??? and the alternative was what? Homelessness? Buying a home certainly was not an option.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Nothing fallacious about it. It would clearly support your position that you believe that you aren't taxed enough.

You are attempting to make this personal where it is not. Where did I say I persoanlly do not pay enough?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Oh, you mean those from AGI deductions, both itemized and standard, that are available to all, not just the middle class?

Yeah, I thought that was what you were talking about.

Itemization isn't available to all in reality which is clearly demonstrated by the mortgage interest deduction benefit distribution on the income scale, and by the amount of homeowners who see no benefit from the Mortgage interest deduction

Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
The choice not to rent isn't an actual choice for a lot of people. Maybe that ivory tower you thought I was in, in fact is where you reside if you don't realize this

Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? and the alternative was what? Homelessness? Buying a home certainly was not an option.
The poor often lament that they have no choices in the decisions that they make. This is one of the many reasons that they are poor.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Itemization isn't available to all in reality which is clearly demonstrated by the mortgage interest deduction benefit distribution on the income scale, and by the amount of homeowners who see no benefit from the Mortgage interest deduction
Itemized deductions ARE available to all. Not having an income level high enough to take advantage of that doesn't change their availability.

I included the standard deduction in my post, for just such a reason.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The choice not to rent isn't an actual choice for a lot of people. Maybe that ivory tower you thought I was in, in fact is where you reside if you don't realize this
Lots of choices available. Renting or homelessness (or whatever alternative you envision) is a false dichotomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics