Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:16 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times

Advertisements

We need as many FICA payers as we can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 11:18 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tired and angry View Post
When I was born in the 1950s America had about 150 million people, now we have over 320 million. Because people are living longer and we are being flooded with immigrants who have larger families, America will have over 500 million people when my kids are my age. After that, who knows. The more people there is the more woman there is to have babies and population growth will build on an ever larger group of people. Compounding on it self until eventually we are going to be just like India and China with over a billion people.

The good news for me is I am old and will not have to face an America with a billion people, but my grandchild who was just born may see it, or his children may. What a scary thought.

Economists tell us a rapidly growing population helps our economy. So when we have a billion people, everyone in America will be rich?
We don't need a rapidly increasing population, but one increasing at a slightly faster rate would be a good thing, IMO.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Quote:
Economists tell us a rapidly growing population helps our economy. So when we have a billion people, everyone in America will be rich?
The Americans now are hardly all rich. More people doesn't mean they'll be more resources available. It just means more of them will be fighting over what limited ones are left. If anything, it should get worse, as 80% something of the country's wealth is already concentrated into the 1%.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:14 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
When I was born in the 1950s America had about 150 million people, now we have over 320 million. Because people are living longer and we are being flooded with immigrants who have larger families, America will have over 500 million people when my kids are my age. After that, who knows. The more people there is the more woman there is to have babies and population growth will build on an ever larger group of people. Compounding on it self until eventually we are going to be just like India and China with over a billion people.

The good news for me is I am old and will not have to face an America with a billion people, but my grandchild who was just born may see it, or his children may. What a scary thought.

No. The world is overpopulated as a whole.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:35 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
US Could Be World

WE may be the world's most populated country in a hundred years.
IIRC, when you and I were in school in the 1960s, I think the world population in 2000 was projected to be at least 50% higher than it is today because demographers went by data from the Baby Boom years and couldn't anticipate how urbanization, education, and opportunities for women would change world wide population growth. Europe, Japan, and China are all either at negative population growth or just barely above it. Nobody anticipated that at all. The only reason that the US, Canada, and Australia aren't in negative territory is immigration.

It's likely that as the world continues to urbanize, birth rates will continue to drop. Children are not an economic asset to urban families, only to rural families dependent upon subsistence agriculture.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:49 PM

374 posts, read 492,415 times
There is an agenda with the rapidly increasing population, they even say what they want to do with it in the UK, and here. With old weak or many having one child here they think they can impose that on us and we pay, so no we don't need to import those willing to have 10 -20 with many wives and us paying for. Just saying. And stop with the baby boomer insults they worked and had the right to have the amount of kids they wanted. No one funded them, as we are being asked to now.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
There is an agenda with the rapidly increasing population, they even say what they want to do with it in the UK, and here. With old weak or many having one child here they think they can impose that on us and we pay, so no we don't need to import those willing to have 10 -20 with many wives and us paying for. Just saying. And stop with the baby boomer insults they worked and had the right to have the amount of kids they wanted. No one funded them, as we are being asked to now.
Immigrants aren't bringing multiple wives into the US, so stop spreading xenophobic propaganda. I will diss Boomers if I want because I am a Boomer. Of course, if you actually understood what I wrote in my post, you would know that I didn't insult Boomers but I did blame their parents for having lots of kids in the 1950s and early 1960s. Moreover, you are being required to fund Boomers' retirement -- and so are immigrants.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:04 PM

50 posts, read 53,820 times
The trouble is because people are living longer and are leaving the workforce up to 30 years before they are dying, they are on Social Security for up to 35 years after retiring. This causes a need to bring in millions of baby popping immigrants to support Social Security. So our population keeps going up and up and up. I cry when I see all the track housing taking the place of so much land that was once forest and meadow.

The rapidly growing population of California sure is causing a boom??? Not really, the median income has dropped along with the huge growth in population. If rapid population growth brings a boom in the economy everyone in Phoenix, Las Vegas and Orlando must be millionaires by now!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM

374 posts, read 492,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Immigrants aren't bringing multiple wives into the US, so stop spreading xenophobic propaganda. I will diss Boomers if I want because I am a Boomer. Of course, if you actually understood what I wrote in my post, you would know that I didn't insult Boomers but I did blame their parents for having lots of kids in the 1950s and early 1960s. Moreover, you are being required to fund Boomers' retirement -- and so are immigrants.

Don't you dare insult me again.... it is not spreading anything. They are and being given welfare for the second wife, as she is listed as single mom. There is proof I am not your assistant to teach you or find info for you. As for spreading things those with an agenda sit on these boards to do it enough.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Don't you dare insult me again.... it is not spreading anything. They are and being given welfare for the second wife, as she is listed as single mom. There is proof I am not your assistant to teach you or find info for you. As for spreading things those with an agenda sit on these boards to do it enough.
If you make the assertion or claim it's your task to back it up. I can't claim there are green Martians in houston and when questioned tell that person to go find proof. Show proof of how many immigrants are bringing multiple wives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics