Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumcity View Post
........ at same time they give you cashback, travel, etc rewards too. What are the catch behind such lucrative offer and sustain business too?
The average credit card debt in the USA is north of $7,000. I keep getting these nice money back credit card offers and the interest rate is 28%-35%. Gee, no thanks. But I am not the average household that carries credit card debt. I suspect that people see the cash back, think it is a great idea, yet still can't figure out how to manage their credit cards. They spend because they are "making money" when they spend. You'd better believe that those credit companies are making money at 30% interest.

For those who don't carry a balance, the fee to the seller covers the cash back to the buyer. No profit in it, but it breaks even, so there is no loss.

Veering slightly off topic, those high interest rates used to be in violation of usury laws. Apparently, not any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:44 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Interest. Overdraft fees, late fees, HIDDEN fees...They are all scam as far as I'm concerned. I don't use any sort of credit cards. Cash is king.
I use credit cards and never pay any of those fees you mentioned. I build up credit and at the same time getting huge sign-up bonuses for travel.

If you can pay in full every time, you'll be reaping the rewards of free travel.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:53 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The average credit card debt in the USA is north of $7,000. I keep getting these nice money back credit card offers and the interest rate is 28%-35%. Gee, no thanks. But I am not the average household that carries credit card debt. I suspect that people see the cash back, think it is a great idea, yet still can't figure out how to manage their credit cards. They spend because they are "making money" when they spend. You'd better believe that those credit companies are making money at 30% interest.

For those who don't carry a balance, the fee to the seller covers the cash back to the buyer. No profit in it, but it breaks even, so there is no loss.

Veering slightly off topic, those high interest rates used to be in violation of usury laws. Apparently, not any more.
That's playing fast & loose with "average". The average credit card debt for households carrying credit card debt is about $15,000. There are a relatively small fraction of people with huge credit card debt who skew the average. Only 34% of people with credit cards carry debt month to month. That's down from 44% in 2009 at the peak of the Great Recession unemployment spike.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually that's all you can call them. You don't go on vacations, you don't go buying stuff using cc when you're financially on the rocks. But most need to hide the fact they are in financial hell so they keep hurting themselves by borrowing more. All because of some ego r gotta keep looking successful. If people just stopped believing in this gotta keep some appearance of wealth when you truthfully are eating top ramen to afford that 60k whatever on wheels or have a fancy zip code THEY would be better off.

Years and years ago we had a rough patch financially. I won't lie it sucked. I think around 97-98 I couldn't get a lot of work, my wife was working for less money and we could do two things. We could give everyone the appearance we were doing fine go to dinners buy stuff live like nothing was wrong and live off credit cards or we could tighten the belt and tread carefully. Guess which we did. I realized back then how little I really cared what someone thought about what I drive wear or live. I have never felt the need to play keep up with the Jones game.
Yep. I was unemployed for 14 1/2 months back in 2008-2009. At the time, I had zero debt. I dialed my spending back dramatically and lived off an unemployment check. I came up maybe $5K short but I had a substantial amount of cash reserves and spent the interest income from that. With today's crap interest rates, that wouldn't be possible but it was certainly possible in normal interest rate times.

And yeah, the 34% of people who have credit cards and carry debt month to month really are morons. If you're playing games with 0% introductory rate balance transfers, fine. If you're paying 18% interest on that money, you should be taken out to the woodshed and beaten to your senses.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:04 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Interest. Overdraft fees, late fees, HIDDEN fees...They are all scam as far as I'm concerned. I don't use any sort of credit cards. Cash is king.

What hidden fees are you referring to?

Old 01-09-2016, 01:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What hidden fees are you referring to?
The "I didn't pay my bill on time, ran over my limit, and didn't bother to read the paperwork" fee.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The "I didn't pay my bill on time, ran over my limit, and didn't bother to read the paperwork" fee.
A.K.A. the "I am a moron" fee.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
It is universal fact that no company operate in loss otherwise they will not exist in business. So how the credit cards companies make money to sustain themselves at same time they give you cashback, travel, etc rewards too. What are the catch behind such lucrative offer and sustain business too?

1) They make money on merchant fees every time you make a credit card purchase, e.g. you spend $100, the CCC makes say $3 and pays you back $1, net $2 for CCC. (Beats cash or debit, you get back squat.)

2) MOST CC users do not pay in full every month and therefore carry a balance. CCC makes money every time their customers pay interest on their purchases.

3) Some CC users incur fees for late payment, going over their credit limit, etc - CCC makes money every time customers pay these fees.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A.K.A. the "I am a moron" fee.

Dave Ramsey calls it "Stupid Tax".

Old 01-09-2016, 02:21 PM

278 posts, read 336,034 times
Have you ever heard of the term 'interest'? Let me google that for you

Quote:
It is universal fact that no company operate in loss otherwise they will not exist in business. So how the credit cards companies make money to sustain themselves at same time they give you cashback, travel, etc rewards too. What are the catch behind such lucrative offer and sustain business too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics