Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:25 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you look in the back room of any large supermarket, you will find that most of the produce boxes are labeled "Product of Mexico." With the shortage of farm workers in California already, and many of them afraid of being deported, I would expect a shortage with much higher prices if those tariffs are implemented. Yes, in the end we will pay for the wall.
This is so very true. There was a story here on the news recently about farmers in the central valley concerned that they were going to have enough workers this year to harvest. The bottom line is that if they don't there will be substantially less product and it will all cost more.

I think we all need to recognize that the tariffs and farm labor shortage will cost more for all of us.

Here's the story: President Trump immigration plan stirs concern on California farms - Story | KTVU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:39 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Don't they have job programs for farm workers to bring them in from Mexico?

If we deport more, and shut down illegals from working other jobs in America through mandating E-Verify, they won't have much choice but to take the farm jobs.

We can create supply of workers for these type of jobs if we really wanted to.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Don't they have job programs for farm workers to bring them in from Mexico?

If we deport more, and shut down illegals from working other jobs in America through mandating E-Verify, they won't have much choice but to take the farm jobs.

We can create supply of workers for these type of jobs if we really wanted to.
There used to be a farm worker program called the Bracero program. It's been gone for 40-45 years. Maybe more.

How do you believe we could create a supply of workers? I saw another article a few weeks ago about a farming area in the south. A neighboring county had an incredibly high unemployment rate (I'm thinking 10% or higher). The farm worker jobs were opened to them. I think a couple hundred people applied. Maybe 50 or so showed up for the 2nd day. I believe it was 9 people actually finished the growing season. I'd have to find the exact article for the specific numbers but I believe I'm close.

Workers that might be available for this kind of work are mostly unwilling to do it. To force them is illegal.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Here's a pretty good recap of what started the Bracero program, how it morphed into illegal immigration and the program eventually ended. It's a pretty quick read.

The Bracero Program

If you do a search for UNCO Bracero program you'll find the pdf. It's much easier to read.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
There used to be a farm worker program called the Bracero program. It's been gone for 40-45 years. Maybe more.

How do you believe we could create a supply of workers? I saw another article a few weeks ago about a farming area in the south. A neighboring county had an incredibly high unemployment rate (I'm thinking 10% or higher). The farm worker jobs were opened to them. I think a couple hundred people applied. Maybe 50 or so showed up for the 2nd day. I believe it was 9 people actually finished the growing season. I'd have to find the exact article for the specific numbers but I believe I'm close.

Workers that might be available for this kind of work are mostly unwilling to do it. To force them is illegal.
I am talking about getting workers from South of the border to work the farm jobs on temporary visa programs if we can't find Americans willing to do the job.

If there aren't enough illegal immigrants to fill the jobs we can create supply. We close off the better paying jobs to them in America, through deportations and mandating E-verify, so they won't have a choice but to either take their chances back home or work the farm jobs here through the temporary visa programs.

I do believe farm work/picking etc... is the one job Americans won't do.

Everything else can be filled IMO with Americans or legal workers.

We had a meat packing plant in CO that was raided by ICE. Mostly illegals worked there. The company was able to replace the workers with Americans or legal workers no problem so that completely blew out the talk that no Americans where willing to work there.

Construction is currently employing about 1 million less workers today compared to the peak. Those people are out there.

Fast-food workers where I live are almost all Americans, mostly kids or people establishing themselves back into society etc......

The only illegals I see around here work construction and some landscaping, but still lots of Americans working these same jobs where I live.

I also think we are going to have to accept that people smoke weed and still hire these people for these low level jobs. We will have to learn to treat it like alcohol, only on your own time etc....

Old 03-07-2017, 06:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
No, the government is already too big. They exist on the back of taxpayers. Government jobs are just another form of welfare.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
I am talking about getting workers from South of the border to work the farm jobs on temporary visa programs if we can't find Americans willing to do the job.

If there aren't enough illegal immigrants to fill the jobs we can create supply. We close off the better paying jobs to them in America, through deportations and mandating E-verify, so they won't have a choice but to either take their chances back home or work the farm jobs here through the temporary visa programs.

We had a meat packing plant in CO that was raided by ICE. Mostly illegals worked there. The company was able to replace the workers with Americans or legal workers no problem so that completely blew out the talk that no Americans where willing to work there.

Construction is currently employing about 1 million less workers today compared to the peak. Those people are out there.

Fast-food workers where I live are almost all Americans, mostly kids or people establishing themselves back into society etc......

The only illegals I see around here work construction and some landscaping, but still lots of Americans working these same jobs where I live.

I also think we are going to have to accept that people smoke weed and still hire these people for these low level jobs. We will have to learn to treat it like alcohol, only on your own time etc....
Most of them are not taking the higher paying jobs to begin with.

Why not just grant the immigrants already working on these farms temporary visas instead of going through the motions?

Last edited by Ro2113; 03-07-2017 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:

You've essentially just described the Bracero program. What happened was that the jobs were highly valued. There was a lot of bribery to get a small number of jobs. So immigrants overstayed their VISA or came in illegally. Employers figured out they could employ the NON Braceros for a lot less $$ and a lot fewer restrictions. So they did.

Of course the meat packing plant had no problem finding Americans to do the work. I'd be willing to bet they're paying substantially more per hour than they were to those deported. That's eventually going to flow thru to the end product.

As long as we Americans keep demanding high wages and low prices, employers and suppliers are going to do whatever they have to do to keep their costs down.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
You've essentially just described the Bracero program. What happened was that the jobs were highly valued. There was a lot of bribery to get a small number of jobs. So immigrants overstayed their VISA or came in illegally. Employers figured out they could employ the NON Braceros for a lot less $$ and a lot fewer restrictions. So they did.

Of course the meat packing plant had no problem finding Americans to do the work. I'd be willing to bet they're paying substantially more per hour than they were to those deported. That's eventually going to flow thru to the end product.

As long as we Americans keep demanding high wages and low prices, employers and suppliers are going to do whatever they have to do to keep their costs down.
Or raise the prices of their products. To approach the same profit margin.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or raise the prices of their products. To approach the same profit margin.
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics