Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

How are Americans likely to spend their tax rebates? Expect sellers of food and clothing, such as Wal-Mart, Kohl's and Target, to be the biggest beneficiaries.

Politicians know how to do one thing well: hand out money.

With a possible recession looming, politicos in Washington, D.C., are rushing through a tax-rebate package twice as big as any cash giveaway in the past four decades.

Bush's big gift to Wal-Mart - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
How are Americans likely to spend their tax rebates? Expect sellers of food and clothing, such as Wal-Mart, Kohl's and Target, to be the biggest beneficiaries.

Bush's big gift to Wal-Mart - MSN Money
I guess I do not understand the title of the thread. You cite an article which discusses the fact that people will probably spend the money that they receive. That's a news flash?

Then it seems as there is an implication that a proposed stimulus package may force people to spend it at Walmart so there must be some giant conspiracy between Walmart and the federal government. Can't they spend it at the corner grocery store?

I know - steel cannot melt either.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I'm putting mine into savings. So is my mom. Too bad for Wal-Mart.If you noticed on page two of that same article ....Smarter ways to spend your tax rebate - MSN Money

Old 02-08-2008, 05:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm putting mine into savings. So is my mom. Too bad for Wal-Mart.If you noticed on page two of that same article ....Smarter ways to spend your tax rebate - MSN Money
Are family is with you 70Ford. Why spend money that isn't in the budget? That means it is money that we don't need now, but could use at a later date. How many of you have a financial cushion to fall on? Are you a paycheck away from financial ruin? My thought is that you need at least a 3 month supply for bills and exspenses. A year of reserves would be better. If you just have to spend it, how about on something that will help you out. Do you have a 72 hour emergency kit? With all the things that are happening in the nation you may want to make sure that if there is an emergency in your area, that you have food, water, clothes, and other items that can get you by for at least 3 days.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You know, its about stimulating the economy, not hoarding the money.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Heh. I didn't make people buy overpriced things. Why should I subsidize that?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Assuming people hoard the money in a Bank it will also stimulate the economy because it will increase the reserves of the bank and hence increase what they can loan out.

Regardless, I'll probably spend my rebate on a short vacation or some toys. Those "smarter" ways to spend your rebate all seem rather stupid. Why would you save money for retirement in a savings account?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Well I won't be spending my money at Wal-Mart or Target if that makes you feel any better.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:42 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
The money won't arrive until may, by which time the economy should be reeling. Too little, too late. Most people will probably just save their money or pay off debt, totally the opposite of a stimulus. The government should have used the money instead to extend unemployment or create government jobs (maybe building roads or fixing failing bridges).

Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Anyone who decides to spend the money should make sure that whatever the money is spent on goes to workers and business in the USA. It won't do us any good if the money goes to China or other third world countries to stimulate their economy.

Me, I'll probably put it on a credit card to pay down my debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics