Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Eh...I think I will continue bemoaning the evils of corporations

Because quite frankly, they DESERVE every single bit of criticism/bashing that they have gotten lately.
Not suggesting anyone embrace anything...

Only ask is it helpful on a personal level to say the die is cast and except for winning the lottery of life an individual's prospects are downhill going forward.

There are plenty of corporations I am no fan of and for the life of me can't understand why people line up to do business with them...

One is Comcast... it's as if life as we know will come to an end if the cable goes out of heaven forbid simply isn't available.

Comcast is consistently rated tops of worst customer service and I have people almost livid if they can't get it...

Never having lived in a home with Comcast or any cable or satellite... I'll just keep the $1500 to $2,000 annual cost in my pocket.

Cell phones are another... don't own one and don't plan on owning one... I see too many teens spending all the money they have for the latest phones and data plans... why???

So there are two examples right there...

I simply choose not to do business with a company I take issue with and vote with my dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
India had a Caste system where the wealthy class will stay wealthy and their children will stay in the class and those born to poor parents will always be poor. We are not far away from adopting the Caste system.

The American establishment from big corporations to government have always made it nearly impossible for someone to move up.

You don't get rich working for someone and starting a small business is impossible because you get taxed to death while the big corporations pay no taxes with all their HQs overseas.

We have a system setup that prevents anyone that isn't part of the establishment from ever succeeding and we keep voting for people who keeps the status quo.

The rich and big biz always gets a bail out if they fail, the people always lose and never gets a bail out.
Out of topic but you have no idea what the caste system in India is about.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would trade all the effing iPhones in the world for the proportional college tuition rates my mom paid. She paid about $2500 a year in the early 1970s to go to Notre Dame, about 1/3rd of a year's salary for the average person back then (her dad was an accountant pulling in above 10K a year and could afford it). Today, that is one of the most expensive colleges in the country costing more per year than the average household makes in a year. Legacy admissions did me no good since there was no hope for affording anything close to that.

Not going to college today means you won't get squat for a job. You can become a retail manager, essentially working a crap job your whole life, working every holiday and every weekend for 50 years. No thanks. Most of us under 40 DID work at Petco, Dollar Tree, Safeway, whatever, or we waited tables or tended bar. I worked at Wal-Mart for 4 years and worked at various restaurants for 4 years prior to that, then after college was a temp for 2 years. 10 years of hell. We do not want to do that serf-work where people treat you like crap your entire life. The big million-dollar jobs go to the big contractors. That is not a path paved with gold.

I see the popular internet meme that we need more plumbers or whatever and I call total BS on that. My friend is a contractor and he has to hustle for EVERY job he gets and the competition is cutthroat. If he screws up one job, he's finished, forever. They'll slime him on the internet and he'll never get another job. He's doing okay for himself; gets at least 1 big job annually that pretty much pays his bills for the entire year and then a smattering of small jobs the rest of the time that pay for his hunting trips. But he's also in his upper 30s and lives with a roommate, so life is not perfect.

The local plumbing and electrical businesses are not hiring. Whenever I call them, they are pretty quick to come out to the house so there is not a shortage of them. If they do have a position, it's as a $12 an hour laborer, but you won't move up much. It's going to be the boss's son who gets the journeyman position or son-in-law who takes over the business. NOT YOU. Add to that, if you're in that line of work and your knee or back goes bad, you're screwed.

That's a real good posting.
I'll add one other item -- the cost of daycare is also out of control, providing yet another kick in the teeth to middle class America.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I absolutely agree.

Between globalism and illegal immigration the job market is dismal.
And even if you get a job there's a high chance it won't be for decades.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosken Powell View Post
Nurse will be a fine career until the baby boomers die off. (most growth in nursing is because of so many old people)

Gen X is much smaller and has much less money. Thus, demand for nursing will greatly contract in 20 years.

Then Millenials, who are huge in number, will get old and require more nurses once again. However, they are so broke they won't be able to pay for it. It is likely a great shift in health care funding will occur again, due to the limited finances of the millennials. Medicine in this country will look much different in 30 years.

yes, SF Bay is a place of excellence. It has seen the most economic growth of anywhere over the past 20 years.

Parts of the country are indeed in a death spiral. the low performing areas of the midwest, Hawaii, low performing areas of the south (i.e. most of it outside of Texas) , New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, Appalachia etc.

The economy of the future will look quite a bit like Hunger Games. There will be few jobs simply because they aren't needed anymore due to efficiency and technological improvements. The jobs available are determined via contest. It's already like this in many industries. Obviously entertainment and sports, which were already mentioned. However, most STEM careers are already very much like a contest, but nobody wants to admit it. Even medical doctor is like a contest to a degree. A student can jump through the hoops and excel, but there's still no guarantee you'll get admitted to med school or a residency. There's limited spots, at the discretion of a committee.
What happens to high net worth people with government jobs who live at home?

Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I absolutely agree.

Between globalism and illegal immigration the job market is dismal.
And even if you get a job there's a high chance it won't be for decades.
Thanks for telling as it is

Old 02-25-2016, 07:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That's a real good posting.
I'll add one other item -- the cost of daycare is also out of control, providing yet another kick in the teeth to middle class America.

Now this is something I don't understand. I have a friend who has a home daycare in Ann Arbor. Not a cheap place to live and she lives well. One might expect competition to reduce the costs and profits to something more manageable but it doesn't seem to be happening. WHY is daycare so expensive?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:03 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They are much more diversified versus the do com bust. Plus companies have lots of cash.
Maybe. But another tech crash is still going to have huge repercussions (same like the oil/commodities crash elsewhere).

Old 02-29-2016, 09:55 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Warren Buffett: Quit your crying, the US is fine

Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Now this is something I don't understand. I have a friend who has a home daycare in Ann Arbor. Not a cheap place to live and she lives well. One might expect competition to reduce the costs and profits to something more manageable but it doesn't seem to be happening. WHY is daycare so expensive?
When considering a place to leave your child for 8 or more hours a day, for many people the quality of the care is far more important than the cost. The better day care/preschool centers have waiting lists as long as 2 years, people get on the list when they become pregnant. Ours are averaging $600/month for 9am-1pm preschool, $2,000/month for all day care now. There are less expensive ones, but when people see the lower cost and that they can get in right away it raises a red flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics