Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 04:07 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times

Advertisements

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3860...flation-coming

Is danger of deflation real? What can you do?

Zero Percent Inflation: Next Up, Deflation

Why deflation trends are here to stay: Expert

There is a lot of talk of deflation. The reason is simple, with rates already at zero or close to it what can the FED do to get things moving in the eventuality of a slow down? The short answer is not very much.

One thing that can be done is increasing the minimum wage. The FED may not have the answer this time around. Higher wages and the expectation of them create the expectation of higher future prices and tend to get money spent now. Deflation means that the longer you sit on cash the more it is worth later. Increasing wage means spending money now before the cost of labor will be higher later.

Deflation sucks. High unemployment, loss of equity in Real Estate, Stocks, bonds etc. The loans against commodities are going to have a high default rate, home mortgages may very well follow suet. Underwriting is going to slow way down. Negative interest rates don't make bad loans good. Wages and more of them make bad loans good. If you want to stop the coming deleveraging, up wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
The Fed never had the answer or fix. They merely delayed the pain, and prolonged the suffering, while enriching the already filthy rich. Nice work

Government and central bankers are not the solution, but the problem.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:19 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i am no economist nor do i even take an interest but it seems to me raising the minimum wage won't do much at all . all it does it redistribute the same available dollars a company has for spending .

instead of it being spent one way it would be spent another . if they raise prices to do it then we all have less to spend ourselves

Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am no economist nor do i even take an interest but it seems to me raising the minimum wage won't do much at all . all it does it redistribute the same available dollars a company has for spending .

instead of it being spent one way it would be spent another . if they raise prices to do it then we all have less to spend ourselves
That redistribution means this. They are sitting on cash not spending it. A lot of people are doing this. Put it in the hands of those that will spend it and it will move. Moving money grows the economy. Idol money kills it. All the printing the FED did didn't Fix the underlying problem of too much debt and not enough income. With no one to take on more debt, the growth stops and the contraction begins. You think 2008 was bad, the coming contraction will be worse it may be more orderly but it will be longer and deeper. As long as you keep your job you will do OK, but what if your boss asks you to take a pay cut or get laid off? Will you still make your mortgage payment? Will you still have extra money to spend? That pay cut will hurt. Getting laid off will hurt worse.

The economy is headed into a big contraction.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:47 PM

company's likely will just pull from other areas or put on hold some spending to compensate and odds are i would bet nothing comes out of it .

by the same token increased labor costs increases expenses , hurts profits and in return share prices , so the dollars that get sucked out of shareholder pockets again create less spending money for some and more for others .

also one big factor is lower earning folks may be carrying high debt . increased pay would likely go to pay old debt and not increase spending or new consumption .

that is just what we saw when the stimulus checks were given out . it was a flop . the lower income folks used it for old debt or banked it for a rainy day , it never got spent .

the higher earners like myself who would have spent it never were allowed to receive it .

Old 02-04-2016, 04:54 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
I thought hyperinflation was imminent.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:56 PM

you know these amateur economists . things can only play out per their own vision .

they are usually wrong , but what the heck let them play with each other . .

one good thing about being an economist . when you are out of work and on the unemployment line at least you understand why

Old 02-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
company's likely will just pull from other areas or put on hold some spending to compensate and odds are i would bet nothing comes out of it .
It would be an interesting experiment.
Quote:

by the same token increased labor costs increases expenses , hurts profits and in return share prices , so the dollars that get sucked out of shareholder pockets again create less spending money for some and more for others .
The FED is likely to make up the losses for the Share holders.
Quote:

also one big factor is lower earning folks may be carrying high debt . increased pay would likely go to pay old debt and not increase spending or new consumption .
And those aren't spending. Too much is going to service existing debts. Not enough for new purchases.
Quote:

that is just what we saw when the stimulus checks were given out . it was a flop . the lower income folks used it for old debt or banked it for a rainy day , it never got spent .
Gorge W's got spent, Obama's came in a little at a time and didn't.
Quote:

the higher earners like myself who would have spent it never were allowed to receive it .
Maxed out on debt. You want more spending you need more income.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I thought hyperinflation was imminent.
After six years of zero prime and not much inflation we can rule out hyperinflation, however. What the FED can do about a slowdown is limited and we are headed into one.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
we can rule out hyperinflation
WHAT???

Hold your tongue, Ron Paul and Peter Schfiff are never wrong! They are geniuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics