Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,355,743 times

Advertisements

In my experience, this is not the twenty somethings complaining. It's the older folks who have been living close to everything for decades at a low cost, now upset that twenty somethings and thirty somethings with ten times as many skills as them are now able to pay higher rent than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,350,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
So again back to my first question. If "No One" could afford to pay or qualify to take out a mortgage on this home then how come the home does SELL at the above price and usually in a bidding war. I think alot of this is just envy

Income inequality, baby. Top 20% are lifting off into the stratosphere.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,355,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The problem with renting is that you don't control your destiny, your landlord does.

Renting means being able to live somewhere ONLY as long as nobody else is willing to pay more to live there. As soon as someone else is willing to pay more than you, you're out.

My solution to this is to ALLOW - less government, more liberty - ownership of tiny properties, so that low-wage workers can buy property and thereby control their housing destiny.

Zoning rarely if ever allows this, because nobody wants poor people owning property in 'their' neighborhood.
Agreed.

Even if song permits housing, navigating the bureaucracy to be able to build new units is long, tedious and expensive. After going through all that, it's not really surprising that developers are marketing towards the luxury demand. They wanna see some pay off.

Loosen zoning laws, loosen building permit regulations and the sky high rents will come down. Obviously, if you wanna live in downtown Boston, you're gonna still pay more, but overall the vas majority of people will be much better off.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I came to the economics forum to find out what economics is all about. It seems to be mostly about communism, liberalism, Marxism, sarcasm, fertilizer, estrogen, and a pathological sense of entitlement. How long would it take me to learn all that stuff and become an economics expert?

It should also be about freedom, liberty, limited government, and property rights.

But the inconvenient truth is that homeowners want government to restrict property rights in order to prop up their property values.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,180,500 times
Higher rents where I live also means less dangerous and quiet.

They also don't build affordable rental housing anymore. Any place "affordable" is old and falling apart with no amenities really.

I pay more for the peace where I live, even though I have no extras.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Actually, the same tax break on mortgage interest that homeowners enjoy is also enjoyed by owners of apartment buildings.

So if they lost that tax break, guess who would have to make up the difference....Yes, you, the renter. The landlord would simply increase your rent.

Your mileage may vary.

If landlords lost their tax breaks, there would be limited impact on rents.

Truth is, the only thing preventing rents from going through the roof is the inability or renters to pay more.

Renter median income is HALF median homeowner income. Renters pay twice as large a proportion of their income on housing as do homeowners.

in other words, renters are financially tapped out and at the limit of what they can afford to pay.

Where rents are soaring, it's largely due to higher-income outsiders moving into an area.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Higher rents where I live also means less dangerous and quiet.

They also don't build affordable rental housing anymore. Any place "affordable" is old and falling apart with no amenities really.

I pay more for the peace where I live, even though I have no extras.

NOBODY builds affordable housing as long as there are more profitable market segments to build for.

Income inequality means an inexhaustible supply of market segments more profitable than the poor.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
And renters are paying five-figure annual rents. So by the same logic, they have the right to demand lax zoning rules, right?

The prevailing homeowner mindset appears to believe that "renters don't have skin in the game and therefore deserve no consideration in zoning rules".

I regard zoning as protectionism for incumbent homeowners, without regard for anyone else - certainly without regard for renters.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,170,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It is fair, because you are benefiting from lower rent due to the owner deducting the mortgage interest on their loan. They also get deductions that homeowners do not, including maintenance costs, depreciation, utilities, and even travel costs.

Your logic is faulty. You are assuming the landlord is basing what he charges for rent as "cost plus", when in fact he is charging what the market will bear. If the landlord pays off the mortgage and no longer has that expense, he is not going to "lower" the rents because his "costs" went down. He is going to charge what the market will bear.

Same with a declining market. His costs may remain the same, but if no one is willing to rent at that price, he must reduce the ask. I have owned commercial rental property and after the financial disaster of 2008, we had to lower our commercial ask or the tenants would have found another lower cost place to rent. Lots of vacancies = lower rents. Nothing to do from benefiting from the deductions. And remember whether the property is commercial or residential, the landlord is in business. The homeowner is not.

So the homeowner does benefit from mortgage and tax deductions, where the renter does not.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:02 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,333,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I came to the economics forum to find out what economics is all about. It seems to be mostly about communism, liberalism, Marxism, sarcasm, fertilizer, estrogen, and a pathological sense of entitlement. How long would it take me to learn all that stuff and become an economics expert?

Like the old saying, you're looking for love in all the wrong places.
Shift your focus over to this.
https://www.aeaweb.org/students/WhatIsEconomics.php

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=economics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics