Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
American Rents Through The Roof | On Point with Tom Ashbrook

I was only able to listen to half this podcast before changing the station in disgust.
All this talk about "rents thru the roof", "affordable housing" sounds like people have a major sense of entitlement. The "callers" on this podcast and that bleeding heart Mayor in Seattle think that people should have the right to live "close" to their jobs in the city. The take away from listening to this (and hearing all this bleeding heart talk about affordable housing) is not that people are really struggling to pay rent and on the verge of getting evicted But that they can't live in the part of the city of their choosing.
Clearly you haven't experienced the issue first hand.

Imagine living in the perfect small town. You are happy. Life is good. Your rent is comfortable and you're close to your job.

Then imagine for whatever reason lots of people want to live in your perfect small town. Maybe it's the car plant that opened in the next town.

At first you love the new vibrancy and all the new people checking out the town and driving around.

Then the homes start getting snatched up and the next thing you know, your landlord wants to increase your rent because there's serious demand for housing in the place you love so much.

The next year the rent goes up again only now you're not so comfortable anymore and your job's 2% raise is not enough to keep you comfortable.

The home are now too expensive to buy and you can see that you won't be able to afford rent next year.

Before you know it, people are labeling you an entitled bleeding heart liberal because you don't want to move, but can no longer afford to stay put.

BTDT, got the Tshirt. Now it's happening again in my new town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 06:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I don't want to live that way, which is why I made it a priority to purchase a home in an environment that I prefer. If I can do it, with no college degree and being a woman, there's no reason you can't.
As a woman without a college degree, did your path to real estate success also involve marrying someone with a significantly higher income and benefits package? If so, I guess I should stop being lazy, pick myself up by my bootstraps, and marry rich.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Clearly you haven't experienced the issue first hand.

Imagine living in the perfect small town. You are happy. Life is good. Your rent is comfortable and you're close to your job.

Then imagine for whatever reason lots of people want to live in your perfect small town. Maybe it's the car plant that opened in the next town.

At first you love the new vibrancy and all the new people checking out the town and driving around.

Then the homes start getting snatched up and the next thing you know, your landlord wants to increase your rent because there's serious demand for housing in the place you love so much.

The next year the rent goes up again only now you're not so comfortable anymore and your job's 2% raise is not enough to keep you comfortable.

The home are now too expensive to buy and you can see that you won't be able to afford rent next year.

Before you know it, people are labeling you an entitled bleeding heart liberal because you don't want to move, but can no longer afford to stay put.

BTDT, got the Tshirt. Now it's happening again in my new town.
Well, you move to a place you can afford, I fail to see what is so difficult to understand about that. It is not my responsibility as a taxpayer to subsidize your lifestyle. So when rent increases, you either find a way to make more money, or you move to a place with lower rents, it is a simple concept.

But instead, you want either the government to subsidize your rent, or you want the government to prevent the landlord from asking what he/she wants for the rent.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I will defend the principles that people should be able to make enough to put a roof over their heads and have food to eat, however, when it comes to living where this person lives (1/3 to 1 acre zoning), you have to earn that. Get educated, start a business, do what is necessary to move up the ladder.

I never asked for 1/3 acre, all I ask is the opportunity to buy 2500 sq ft, which is less than 6/100th of an acre. I can't find zoning which allows that except perhaps in BFE.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
As a woman without a college degree, did your path to real estate success also involve marrying someone with a significantly higher income and benefits package? If so, I guess I should stop being lazy, pick myself up by my bootstraps, and marry rich.

I don't know how they did it - I wasn't born yet but my father's two sisters each married future top 1%ers.

Clearly, this is much much easier for women than it is for men.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You realize, of course, that large-lot zoning of a finite land area necessarily means that your ability to have what you want precludes others from having that they want - unlike widgets where your widget doesn't stop me from acquiring a widget.

I don't want high density and I don't particularly want more or fewer rentals, just enough space to have a sense of some control over my living environment, which I can't get with seven people sharing a crowded house with one bathroom.
But others having what THEY want, even though it precludes me from having what I want, is OK? Let me spell it out for you - having what I want doesn't preclude anyone from having what I have. Period. And that's the issue. What they "want" doesn't matter, because chances are what they "want" is more than what they're willing to pay for or work for. Otherwise, they'd have it, right?

As for land being finite, again - I don't care. It's an established neighborhood, and shouldn't change just because a bunch of losers want what they aren't willing to work for.

And yes, you DO want high density. What else is it to divide a lot to a tiny spot that you believe you can afford, but high density? Because others should have that right, too, correct? Or is it only you that deserves what you want, not anyone else?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Not at all. I didn't say I don't have an education, it's just not a college degree.

And yes, please stop being lazy and make something of yourself. If I can do it, anyone can.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I never asked for 1/3 acre, all I ask is the opportunity to buy 2500 sq ft, which is less than 6/100th of an acre. I can't find zoning which allows that except perhaps in BFE.
I thought you didn't want high density. If 6/100th of an acre isn't high, then nothing is.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Yes, freemkt is rather contradicting himself. A small amount of space per person is the same thing as a high number of people per unit area (i.e. high density).

Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
You realize, of course, that small-lot zoning of a finite land area necessarily means that your ability to have what you want precludes others from having that they want, right?

See how that works? You have no problem with others not getting what they want, as long as you get what you want. You think you should be free to waltz into a neighborhood people have worked hard and sacrificed to get into and divide it up into tiny little lots and turn the place into a modern day Hooverville inhabited by lazy people who can't be bothered to make any effort whatsoever to improve their lives.

But your laziness and desire to turn close in neighborhoods in giant slums is a different issue from what the OP is ranting about. Rents going through the roof is an actual issue. When rents climb 9% and incomes climb 2,3,4%, that's a problem. It makes it harder and harder for people who do work hard to get ahead - harder to save up to buy a house, harder to participate in the consumer economy. Ultimately that hurts everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics