Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 10:10 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Not if you're comparing apples to oranges like in my example. You cannot buy a room.
The way I read what you wrote was that renting out the space you occupied didn't pay for the space. If the owner can't rent out the place at a profit it will correct. Your language wasn't specific enough for me to tell total rent income >,< or = cost of owning the place plus cost of buying it. Sorry.

So can you buy a place in your market and rent it out at a profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:12 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
The way I read what you wrote was that renting out the space you occupied didn't pay for the space. If the owner can't rent out the place at a profit it will correct. Your language wasn't specific enough for me to tell total rent income >,< or = cost of owning the place plus cost of buying it. Sorry.

So can you buy a place in your market and rent it out at a profit?
It's a HCOL area, so it would require significant commitment of time or capital.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:45 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The renter ALWAYS has the option of buying. Granted, it will take commitment, hard work and discipline, but lots of people do it every day.

I rented 5 years ago. Now I own.

My new, young neighbors were in an apartment 3 months ago. Now they own. Single income. Two kids.

We were forced to rent living near NYC. Young couple starting out in that area making less than $100k where apartments cost $500k is not realistic. We got sick of the rent trap and moved a bit further away to deal with a longer commute and keep our costs down, got a little frugal, and saved every time we got a promotion. We were able to put down 10% on a beautiful home we can grow a family in and couldn't be happier. It took a lot of hard work and some sacrifice, but we know it'll be totally worth it.. we walked into instant equity as we got the home below market, and we're building more equity with every payment. We're also getting some amazing tax breaks. All while being cheaper than renting. (We were "kicked out" of 2 apartments we really loved as the owner was looking to sell.. Huge downside to renting)

It can be done.. But its not gonna be fun, gotta sacrifice some stuff.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The renter ALWAYS has the option of buying. Granted, it will take commitment, hard work and discipline, but lots of people do it every day.

I rented 5 years ago. Now I own.

My new, young neighbors were in an apartment 3 months ago. Now they own. Single income. Two kids.
Sounds too good to be true.

Or very low cost of living area.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:53 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

No, sounds like the majority of first time buyers. Rent first, have a child, go buy a house.

Most people do not live in a high cost of living area which makes that step challenging.

I know we keep telling everyone over and over, but it is not hard to buy a home in most areas of the country. Please browse realtors.com and see for yourself.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

As I said earlier, it can be done even in a HCOL area, it just takes much longer to either save the money or manage the job transfer to a LCOL area. In my case, if I stay here after grad school, I could still (eventually) buy property, however, it probably does not make financial sense given that I don't particularly enjoy spending time on DIY stuff. It can happen much faster if I earn the money wherever I can get paid well, and then move to some place where the prices are lower. Even paying full cash could be doable. Staying here, in this HCOL area, I'd take 20-30 years if I wanted to go the cash route. But 20-30 years is not "never".

Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
All I can say is I'm glad I did not listen to the naysayers...

I penciled out my budget and came up with the numbers to make it work...

I did have to sell my prized 1968 Z28 Camaro to a collector... it was not easy but it made it possible to come up with the money... it was as new and a labor of love.

The home I bought had been on the market for sometime... it was a "Rental" and the elderly brother and sister were trying to settle their late brother's estate...

The save real estate broker said I should make an offer... it was a lot less than asking and it worked.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
All I can say is I'm glad I did not listen to the naysayers...

I penciled out my budget and came up with the numbers to make it work...

I did have to sell my prized 1968 Z28 Camaro to a collector... it was not easy but it made it possible to come up with the money... it was as new and a labor of love.

The home I bought had been on the market for sometime... it was a "Rental" and the elderly brother and sister were trying to settle their late brother's estate...

The save real estate broker said I should make an offer... it was a lot less than asking and it worked.

When the naysayers are lenders, people listen.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Or they save up and pay cash.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In my case it was the lenders, family and friends.

I could not qualify for a loan... turned down... not enough steady work and not long enough with employer.

I bought for cash the shack that was going to be torn down...

Spent my life savings and sold my classic car to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics