Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Don't forget Mexico either

Especially with the recent announcements from both Ford and Carrier.
We should rename Labor Day to CEO Day in commemoration of how they destroyed or economy.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:20 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
No. You have merely elaborated on my point. We have become a nation Serfs indebted and dependent upon China on a matter of a few years. How was this accomplished? The Fed have mega-corporations all the money it wanted to build factories wherever there was slave leave available. The U.S. taxpayer was forced to fundethe destruction of its own economy. Now v we have jobs pushing warehouse stock around instead of actually manufacturing it. Junk instead of jobs is what the CEOs and the Fed gave to us.
You just keep repeating hyperbole and dogma and the root causes just keep going right over your head.

Dang it, my bread just fell on the floor...dang you CEOs!!!!!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You just keep repeating hyperbole and dogma and the root causes just keep going right over your head.

Dang it, my bread just fell on the floor...dang you CEOs!!!!!
Oh. Sorry. We should love the CEOs for destroying our economy and looking for slave labor wherever they could find it to build junk for the people in the U S. who can only afford junk on the salaries they are paid.

A big, big Happy Valentines Day for all the CEOs. Smooch for all of you. I really appreciate all you've done - for yourselves.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Don't blame the CEOs because you're jealous and you don't understand how the economy works. You can thank the government for creating this huge income inequality. They did create this inflation of wages, the problem is that they still believe that trickle down economy works.

When the gov gives money to the companies and the elite level to create jobs and lend money to small businesses they should do set expectations on what that translate to our economy. Instead of we have a lying gov about unemployment figures and companies stagnating wages of people who aren't at the top.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Don't blame the CEOs because you're jealous and you don't understand how the economy works. You can thank the government for creating this huge income inequality. They did create this inflation of wages, the problem is that they still believe that trickle down economy works.

When the gov gives money to the companies and the elite level to create jobs and lend money to small businesses they should do set expectations on what that translate to our economy. Instead of we have a lying gov about unemployment figures and companies stagnating wages of people who aren't at the top.
The CEOs own the government. We are living in an Oligarchy

Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That sign was created in France as was the Statue of Liberty. Like the rest of Europe, they used the United States as the dumping ground for their poor people because the United States had a labor shortage and a plethora of natural resources. Fast forward to 2016 and economic conditions have changed.

The Statue of Liberty was given to the American people by the French in 1875 (finished and dedicated in 1886) as a gesture of friendship- they had nothing to do with the poem.

Emma Lazarus's poem was placed at the base of the statue in 1903 by her friends long after her death in 1887.
She was an American poet born in New York City. She was involved in aiding refugees to New York who had fled anti-Semitic pogroms in eastern Europe and she wrote the poem in 1883 for an auction to raise funds for the Statue's pedestal. She was from a large and wealthy Sephardic Jewish family who were originally from Portugal and had settled in New York before the American Revolution.

The US was inviting immigrants to come during the greatest period of migration- it was hardly just "a dumping ground". Read here to see the history of U.S. immigration: the period about 1850-1930- these were the people who built the country into a great nation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

I won't argue, though, that economic conditions have not changed. Although our ruling capitalists have always encouraged cheap labor, it is questionable whether this is a viable attitude any longer since the work force of modern nations must be highly skilled.

Cheap labor today has more of a tendency to need subsidization than to be contributory since there is so much unskilled labor already here. We should only be letting in highly skilled and educated people like most other first world countries do- and it must be that they don't displace American citizens by working more cheaply.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:55 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
We should rename Labor Day to CEO Day in commemoration of how they destroyed or economy.
How about Bastille Day?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
How about Bastille Day?
Ouch.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Consider that wages, are not the big portion of the CEOs pay. Some have even worked for $1 a year salary. Their money is largely earned by the profit they make for the company. They are paid for performance. A salesman working on commission as I did all my working life, gets paid according to the sales they make.

At one time I worked for one of the best department stores in the business. Furniture, major appliances, carpet, and electronics sales people worked strictly on commission. Our income was based strictly on our sales volume. No sales, no pay. We all earned in today's dollars in the $125,000 to $150,000 per year. The other people in the store made minimum wages, plus for long time employees, they were paid longevity raises. Minimum wages were 85 cents an hour. The commission people made considerably more than the assistant manager for the store and near what the manager made. I have made some sales, that I earned as much money in commission, as the regular employees earned in an entire year.

Why were the commission salespeople so rewarded? Because the 10 commission people made more money for the store in profits, than the 200 other employees combined, earned for the store.

The CEO of a major corporation, can make or break the company depending on the decisions they make. There are very few men/women that can successfully keep their corporation making good profits. If they don't make more than a certain amount per year for the company, they don't get those bonuses and other funds that make a lot of money for the CEO. The CEO makes a lot of money, only if their company makes a lot of money.

If the company is not making money, the CEO will not make money, and sometimes the company does so bad they go out of business under a bad CEO.

A man I knew when I was in Michigan for 16 months, was George Romney. He is Mitt's father. American Motors which was the old Nash and Jeep lines was in trouble and going under. They brought George in, and they did very well. It ended up being Chrysler and Jeep in the long run after another merger. They were in trouble and they brought in lee Iacocca who was slated to be top man at Ford. However a Ford wanted the job so he let Iacocca go. Iacocca was the brains behind the Mustang. Iacocca had a vehicle designed and tested which was a mini van. As part of his severance he was given the rights and plans for the Mini Van which Ford did not like, which he put into the Chrysler line up. It saved the company. His salary was $1 per year. If he saved the company and made it a lot of money, he would be a rich man. He did, and he became wealthy.

When Mitt first was shown in the news as a candidate for president, my wife said the way she remembers him, is he would come home from school when a group of women would be at his home, and acted almost like he was starved, and his first words to his mother would be, "Is there anything I can eat".

Romney and Iacocca made a lot of money to save their company, and were worth every penny. Without them, there would be no Chrysler, that is owned by a European auto company today, as Obama sold the company off over seas.

As a man that made my living working on commission, and from a percentage of what my salespeople earned, or a percentage of what the business I managed produced, I say let the top people make a lot of money. If they don't make a lot of money the company is in trouble and everyone may lose their job and have no pay check. Their pay is based largely on he performance of the corporation. And if their pay was divided up for raises for all the employees, it would be as little as 1 Cent an hour rise for everyone else.

Employee pay is based on what the pay is for the particular job, in a particular part of the country. All the companies will be paying in the same neighborhood, for that particular job.

Millennials today, want to start their first job, at the rate that the average worker with 10 years of experience earn. This has never happened in the past, and will not happen today. The company has to look at what is competitive pay for the same job in their part of the country, and be competitive that way for a starting pay. As a worker becomes more valuable to the company they get a raise. And by the time they have worked 10 years, they will be earning what the other people with 10 or more years are earning. They don't start at day 1 receiving the same pay as people that have been there 10 years earn. On the other hand, the real bright and willing to go above and beyond being mediocre will be earning a lot more and have promotions. Many will never work hard enough, to get above bottom run pay however.

It all depends on how much they can prove to a company they are worth paying, as to how fast they will advance and get raises.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Consider that wages, are not the big portion of the CEOs pay. Some have even worked for $1 a year salary. Their money is largely earned by the profit they make for the company. They are paid for performance. A salesman working on commission as I did all my working life, gets paid according to the sales they make.
And considering wages. Why not put a tax penalty on capital gains of 110% if they use labor anywhere in the world at less than US minimum wage? Would that put strong upwards pressure on wages world wide?

Then we could crank our minimum wage and drive global inflation with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics