Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 05:49 PM

387 posts, read 515,461 times

Advertisements

US economy is too complicated for a sentence or 2. But, when you elect someone with a background in community organizing it's all down hill from there.Looking further back some would say NAFTA has done more damage than good.Also, Big US tech companies stockpile profits offshore to avoid US Tax bite,that needs to be fixed.Billions wasted on Obamacare start-up and his underperforming mess needs to be fixed. Along with Employer related healthcare mandates that punish full time employment. US 18+ Trillion in Debt much in thanks to Obama/house/senate wasteful spending. Could go on & on, took years to make this mess, same to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:23 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
?? That is pretty inaccurate. Countless reports show the US as the best or among the best business environment in the world. Some far right wing people clamor for lower corporate taxes, saying we have the highest corporate tax rate- well in reality, when including deductions and loop holes that businesses are able to take advantage of, we actually have one of the LOWEST effective corporate tax rates in the world.
bingo

Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
?? That is pretty inaccurate. Countless reports show the US as the best or among the best business environment in the world. Some far right wing people clamor for lower corporate taxes, saying we have the highest corporate tax rate- well in reality, when including deductions and loop holes that businesses are able to take advantage of, we actually have one of the LOWEST effective corporate tax rates in the world. So what do we really want to do- charge no taxes at all on business? Companies are not moving operations overseas because they are mad they have to pay some taxes - they are moving work overseas where they still pay lots of corporate taxes but the difference is they are moving because they can pay less in salaries in poorer countries. How do we really compete with that? Do we want to race to the bottom, lowering pay here to compete???
Do you own a business? Do you pay corporate and personal taxes of an S-Corp?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:45 PM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Sorry, but I can't read past the first page of this. There was no actual data or even working goals there, just some continued confusion about who the "takers" are.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
US economy is too complicated for a sentence or 2. But, when you elect someone with a background in community organizing it's all down hill from there.Looking further back some would say NAFTA has done more damage than good.Also, Big US tech companies stockpile profits offshore to avoid US Tax bite,that needs to be fixed.Billions wasted on Obamacare start-up and his underperforming mess needs to be fixed. Along with Employer related healthcare mandates that punish full time employment. US 18+ Trillion in Debt much in thanks to Obama/house/senate wasteful spending. Could go on & on, took years to make this mess, same to fix it.
You are correct, wars and our bulging military cost more than most think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you own a business? Do you pay corporate and personal taxes of an S-Corp?
I do and I agree with the poster above you.

I have also always thought that the definition of "small business" needs to be scaled back from 50+ employees to more like 1-10 employees.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You are correct, wars and our bulging military cost more than most think.

I do and I agree with the poster above you.

I have also always thought that the definition of "small business" needs to be scaled back from 50+ employees to more like 1-10 employees.
I don't agree that we pay the lowest corporate tax. Busting my butt, taking on a lot of debt, responsibility, long hours, and it finally took off after years of living on little, not to mention the paperwork involved, dealing with employees, after I found out how much the government grabs, I have no desire to grow, take on more risk and responsibility. For what? So government takes a bigger chunk? No thanks.

The poor can wait for other poor people to hire them. Lets see how that goes.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Good luck, the thread sitters will be on shortly to tell you:

You are crazy

The restaurants are full

My Aunt Tilles friend is making so much, same for everyone in my knitting circle. In fact my Uncles third cousin removed best friend just got a raise. Or my neighborhood is so rocking with money, and so is My WHOLE area..... so sorry for you peasants anywhere else in the country.

Anyone who agrees with this doesn't know ( you fill in the blank) what I know that shows you are inferior.

The agenda people will be on to bash the article, who it is from, linked from where, or the color of your hair.

Or worse some nice poster here who agrees with the article and links others will be made fun of, laughed at and told in a condescending way how clueless but nicely enough that they don't get banned. They need for everything to be fine in their world. Which I am a positive person too, want every to do well, and all to be great. But....

Also love the ones who tell us why be mad, build a bridge let more come take your jobs, you pay for them, let them not be taxed ( or worse you fill in blank) and stop being mad, privileged or complain I am doing well. So you should be happy. Talk about narcissists.

In seriousness thanks for the article and thread. Have a great week ahead.
Here's the thing. Personally, our family is doing well. Good jobs, good income, steady pay raises, etc.

However, I'm still disgusted by the way our economy is now circling the drain. We (this country) are in very serious financial trouble.

Health care is simply unaffordable for most Americans. Just visited with a friend who is severely disabled (due to a terrible injury) and his health insurance is refusing to pay for a medical device that will probably restore his ability to walk.

On a related note, there's no reason on this earth that a orthopedic pad for a wheelchair costs more than $200. Medical industries are the 21st Century robber barons. They're the railroad tycoons becoming obscenely wealthy at the expense of America's tired, sick souls.

I'm angry and disgusted with where this nation has gone in the last seven years, and when I see Obama's face on TV, I feel enraged and disgusted. He is unilaterally the worst president in the history of these United States, and I'm sure Warren G. Harding is very pleased that someone finally moved him off that mark.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:05 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I don't agree that we pay the lowest corporate tax. Busting my butt, taking on a lot of debt, responsibility, long hours, and it finally took off after years of living on little, not to mention the paperwork involved, dealing with employees, after I found out how much the government grabs, I have no desire to grow, take on more risk and responsibility. For what? So government takes a bigger chunk? No thanks.

The poor can wait for other poor people to hire them. Lets see how that goes.
This is one side of the story.

What about all the people who own businesses on government contracts? If taxes and spending are lowered, all of a sudden they have to lay their workers off.

Your one-sided view doesn't do justice.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:16 AM

572 posts, read 279,974 times
I agree that Obama wasn't the great redeemer he was marketed as, but I don't know how anyone could expect anything different from what we got, or what sort of action they think would have made everything better while also preventing a massive global depression back in 2009.

Ron Paul can sit back and jeer as much as he wants, his plan would have guaranteed a severe depression. Radical reforms are toxic in a panic situation... and actively ATTACKING the pillars of your economy during such a panic is insanity. You can't completely hamstring yourself and hope that some other country doesn't manage to replace you as the world's dominant superpower while you're figuring out how to make everyone happier.

Maybe in the aftermath of an economic apocalypse, where everything had completely collapsed and people were growing their own crops because they couldn't afford food things would have been different... but as far as I can tell, Obama's actions were the least unpleasant way to avert a major crisis.

Centralized power is more stable than decentralized power, so if the US government doesn't accept that we're living in a world of massive, multinational companies that put profits/the interests of their investors over people/employees, then some other country that doesn't have a conscience either will simply steal away all of their investors.

The problem is that people are becoming less and less relevant to their own economies. The system that provided so many people with everything they could dream of is now turning against them. They are being replaced in any way they can be in order to save money, because this is what capitalism demands-- greater efficiency, greater profit margins, more growth, etc... people are merely another resource whose value is determined by supply and demand, and if they are burdening the system or threatening the stability of the central power, then they will either be assimliated, rejected, crushed or ignored. Capitalism is not and has never been humane... it's certainly not about helping the weak or making life easier for everyone. It is everyone for themselves, trying to get as much as they can in any way they can.

There will be another crisis in the coming years... and it will probably be bigger and scarier than the last one, but that's the world we're living in and it's not going to change without people having to experience something they REALLY won't like... and by that I mean serious global turmoil and depression.

The president doesn't control the direction of the country any more than you or I... it's much bigger than any one person or even any one group of people, and sooner or later the runaway train is going to hit the wall. It can't be stopped or slowed down, the best anyone can do is steer it well enough to prevent it from derailing and hope that they don't get blamed for when it inevitably crashes.

The only person who is capable of affecting massive amounts of change is whoever is in power when everything comes crashing down... and the problem there is that you could just as easily get Hitler as you could FDR.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This is one side of the story.

What about all the people who own businesses on government contracts? If taxes and spending are lowered, all of a sudden they have to lay their workers off.

Your one-sided view doesn't do justice.
Oh so you mean if the government "cuts spending" and you lose the contract?

How about if government doesn't take such a huge chunk, I'm now incentives to grow the business so I invest, buy more product and hire more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics