Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 03:00 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times

Advertisements

Devastating critique of the Federal Reserve, the US government, the Banks, corporate/financial elites etc...

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/angry...n-m-cunningham

Quote:
In 2009, President Obama had an opportunity to become an American presidential legend. That opportunity was lost. The “Hope and Change” mantra is now tired, old and empty phrase, and the American people are angry.

The American people are angry because they have been “Doped and Chained” to the post of business as usual since the first flashes of the global financial crisis. This anger seems to have been missed by the out of touch political/financial class in the United States as they continue the charade of financial reform, while doing nothing to reform themselves and the system that serves them. As such, the same political/financial class has been slow to accept that they are in trouble.

The political/financial class has spent seven years failing to reinvigorate a moribund economy. Why seven years? I contend that real change was never in their interests. Power, wealth and status quo are core American values.
The rest of the article provides some great analysis of the CPI, unemployment figures, GDP, debt levels, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:05 PM

374 posts, read 492,255 times
Good luck, the thread sitters will be on shortly to tell you:

You are crazy

The restaurants are full

My Aunt Tilles friend is making so much, same for everyone in my knitting circle. In fact my Uncles third cousin removed best friend just got a raise. Or my neighborhood is so rocking with money, and so is My WHOLE area..... so sorry for you peasants anywhere else in the country.

Anyone who agrees with this doesn't know ( you fill in the blank) what I know that shows you are inferior.

The agenda people will be on to bash the article, who it is from, linked from where, or the color of your hair.

Or worse some nice poster here who agrees with the article and links others will be made fun of, laughed at and told in a condescending way how clueless but nicely enough that they don't get banned. They need for everything to be fine in their world. Which I am a positive person too, want every to do well, and all to be great. But....

Also love the ones who tell us why be mad, build a bridge let more come take your jobs, you pay for them, let them not be taxed ( or worse you fill in blank) and stop being mad, privileged or complain I am doing well. So you should be happy. Talk about narcissists.

In seriousness thanks for the article and thread. Have a great week ahead.

Last edited by AngelWingDesigns; 02-19-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 03:19 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
In 1988 the national debt of the United States stood at $2.6 Trillion, today it is over $19.0 Trillion-- an increase of 635% (and projected to reach $29.0 Trillion by 2026). On the other hand the debt of all the nations on earth has grown by only 135% since 1988.

Moderator cut: copyright

From: Articles: The United States at the Point of No Return

Last edited by yellowbelle; 02-20-2016 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: please refer to TOS about copyright - copy/paste only a sentence or two and provide the link. thanks

Old 02-19-2016, 03:36 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Good luck, the thread sitters will be on shortly to tell you:

You are crazy

The restaurants are full

My Aunt Tilles friend is making so much, same for everyone in my knitting circle. In fact my Uncles third cousin removed best friend just got a raise. Or my neighborhood is so rocking with money, and so is My WHOLE area..... so sorry for you peasants anywhere else in the country.

Anyone who agrees with this doesn't know ( you fill in the blank) what I know that shows you are inferior.

The agenda people will be on to bash the article, who it is from, linked from where, or the color of your hair.

Or worse some nice poster here who agrees with the article and links others will be made fun of, laughed at and told in a condescending way how clueless but nicely enough that they don't get banned. They need for everything to be fine in their world. Which I am a positive person too, want every to do well, and all to be great. But....

Also love the ones who tell us why be mad, build a bridge let more come take your jobs, you pay for them, let them not be taxed ( or worse you fill in blank) and stop being mad, privileged or complain I am doing well. So you should be happy. Talk about narcissists.

In seriousness thanks for the article and thread. Have a great week ahead.
I have a general feeling who the usual suspects will be

Old 02-19-2016, 04:25 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Why SOME Americans are Angry about the Economy. Fixed it for you.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
College is too expensive - when before people got the same product for less

Health care is too expensive - when before people got the same product for less (exceptions for some specific issues)

Wages are stagnant but we're working harder and longer

Housing in about half the metro areas of the country is spiraling upward well beyond wages.

There are seemingly 200 applicants for every decent job that exists out there. Some employers complain of a job shortage but it's because they want skill sets that are so damn specific no one can do it without going back and getting 6 years of school and then 3 years of entry level experience.

There is a general sense we're getting worse off as a country.

That's it.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
I'm one of those jerks who is going to oppose the predicates of this thread.

Everywhere that I travel, with the exception of small and homogenous countries like Sweden or New Zealand, I find conditions to be more strained and more stagnant than in the US. Many first-world nations have stronger worker-protections and safety-nets than in the US, and that is of considerable importance to persons who have fallen through the proverbial cracks. But that's of no consolation to the traditional middle-classes: managers, accountants, engineers, lawyers, architects, small-businessmen, college professors and so forth. Those persons, as far as I can discern, remain better off in the US, than in England, Germany, Australia and the like. So if the US is in trouble, the rest of the world is in bigger trouble.

Second, while indeed the present administration isn't much different from the one preceding it, which in turn isn't much different from the prior one, what exactly is it that the US federal government could possibly do, to tangibly and seriously improve the economy? Repeal Glass-Steagel? I'm not even sure what that entails. Change the income tax code? Maybe, but given the intransigent network of entrenched interests, how is real change going to happen? Whether the person in the White house is a fool or a sage, ultimately matters quite little.

Third, no nation that's turned itself into a fortress will long remain prosperous. America's great strength isn't bald eagles or powerful rivers or high mountains. Other nations have that too. It's not an industrious populace and pluralistic rule of law. Other nations have that too, at least starting in the past 50 years or so. America's strength is its openness, whether it be to immigration or to trade. Americans have been good not only a generating good ideas, but in borrowing and improving other people's ideas, and in welcoming people who bring good ideas. Curbing that openness would be the height of bullheaded idiocy.

My main gripe with the modern economy is the extreme volatility and persistent long-term stagnation of global stock markets. We've really made no progress since 2000, and many stock markets are cumulatively-negative since then, if adjusted for inflation. Worldwide, corporate profits are in stagnation or retreat, and without profit-growth, equities can't sustainably rise. Worldwide, the problem is how to generate sustainable growth. Without growth, deficits will never be paid back, pensions funds will default, infrastructure investment can't materialize, and national willpower will be sapped.

So, then: how to we bring back growth?

Old 02-19-2016, 05:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
I am angry.

Cause economy is very unfriendly to start a business.

Total stagnation in Main Street.

Maybe financial companies are doing good but that's an almost artificial flow.

Industrials are also in a recession.

Not to mention energy.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
College is too expensive - when before people got the same product for less

Health care is too expensive - when before people got the same product for less (exceptions for some specific issues)

Wages are stagnant but we're working harder and longer

Housing in about half the metro areas of the country is spiraling upward well beyond wages.

There are seemingly 200 applicants for every decent job that exists out there. Some employers complain of a job shortage but it's because they want skill sets that are so damn specific no one can do it without going back and getting 6 years of school and then 3 years of entry level experience.

There is a general sense we're getting worse off as a country.

That's it.
I absolutely agree with your post, but I didn't vote for Dope and Chained, I'm trying my best to survive with all these problems. My kid voted for Obama and she now faced all these problems.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:03 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Too many takers and unproductive leeches. They are holding everyone else back. Economics is just a class of theories used to explain and justify this phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics