Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:08 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As opposed to the thieving, irresponsible, deadbeat bankers and corporations who are robbing us blind and using legal loopholes to avoid paying their fair share of taxes, courtesy of their bought-and-and-paid-for legislators.

You may want to go see The Big Short one of these afternoons. Bunch of thieving, irresponsible, deadbeats robbed people of their savings and crashed the economy. And now we blame the students for not realizing it's all a scam and they are going to be left holding the bag.

There was a saying about when you sit down to play poker and you can't figure out who the sucker is, you're the sucker.
You should learn how to argue instead of falsely assuming that your opponent (me, in this case) supports something that he doesn't support.

The students are not two years old.

They took money that they promised to pay back.

Not paying it back makes them thieves.

Any really smart or talented student can get a free ride through college.

And any poor student can go to junior college and live at home for the first two years and then go to the state university where they live.

I just watched the CNN Republican debate tonight, held in the opera house at the University of Houston.

Wow, every college it seems is now building giant auditoriums and even specialized ones for producing operas in front of thousands of people.

How do you think that happened?

It happened because the federal government -- by guaranteeing repayment of student loans via the taxpayer -- has caused colleges and universities to go on a spending spree.

I don't think the next Luciano Pavarotti is going to come from the University of Houston, which strikes me as a school to go to if you want to get into the oil business, not into La Scala.

But I could be wrong....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

I just watched the CNN Republican debate tonight, held in the opera house at the University of Houston.

Wow, every college it seems is now building giant auditoriums and even specialized ones for producing operas in front of thousands of people.

Because, according to an old New York Times article, a wealthy donor that wanted to support the arts at the school gave the first $10+ million for the facility in exchange for naming rights.

Wealthy Couple Repays Alma Mater - $51.4 Million to University of Houston - NYTimes.com

And another source I found says that a private endowment established in about 1897 provides about 35% of the operating expenses for the performing arts program. If Texas is typical in how it funds higher education compared to national averages, it gives colleges and universities about 30% of the cost to educate, expecting the schools to make up the rest through a mix of donations and tuition payments.

I don't know much about U of Houston but at a glance it seems like their fundraising department is doing a good job of getting money from private sources.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
You should learn how to argue instead of falsely assuming that your opponent (me, in this case) supports something that he doesn't support.

The students are not two years old.

They took money that they promised to pay back.

Not paying it back makes them thieves.

Any really smart or talented student can get a free ride through college.

And any poor student can go to junior college and live at home for the first two years and then go to the state university where they live.

It happened because the federal government -- by guaranteeing repayment of student loans via the taxpayer -- has caused colleges and universities to go on a spending spree.

I don't think the next Luciano Pavarotti is going to come from the University of Houston, which strikes me as a school to go to if you want to get into the oil business, not into La Scala.

But I could be wrong....

Define "really smart or talented". I graduated with a 3.9 and in the top 3% of my class. Also my SAT scores were top 3% nationally. Apparently that is not sufficiently smart or talented since i did not get a free ride.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:36 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Because, according to an old New York Times article, a wealthy donor that wanted to support the arts at the school gave the first $10+ million for the facility in exchange for naming rights.

Wealthy Couple Repays Alma Mater - $51.4 Million to University of Houston - NYTimes.com

And another source I found says that a private endowment established in about 1897 provides about 35% of the operating expenses for the performing arts program. If Texas is typical in how it funds higher education compared to national averages, it gives colleges and universities about 30% of the cost to educate, expecting the schools to make up the rest through a mix of donations and tuition payments.

I don't know much about U of Houston but at a glance it seems like their fundraising department is doing a good job of getting money from private sources.
Ah, well.

I guess the oil guys are culture vultures.

Good for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Define "really smart or talented". I graduated with a 3.9 and in the top 3% of my class. Also my SAT scores were top 3% nationally. Apparently that is not sufficiently smart or talented since i did not get a free ride.
You didn't try hard enough to get a free ride, obviously.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 498,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
That's part of what I don't get... EU isn't "cheaper" to live in, and sure they might have higher minimum wage, but that's only if people insist on working minimum wage jobs. US jobs still pay more than EU for higher skilled jobs.
My guess, they are going on a "working holiday" visa then not leaving after it expires? A LA, "illegals"... Maybe they are teaching English in Asia under a proper work visa?

American Corporations have an income stream when they move , these people don't
Actually EU can be a lot cheaper to live in, ex. in eastern Germany rents are a lot cheaper and jobs are reasonably plentiful so long as a person learns at least some German. Trnslation jobs especially are very plentiful. Not saying I condone this action but a lot of Americans (and Aussies and Canadians) are doing it. So long as US education costs keep rising and student loans are so ridiculously high with so much interest more will do this. Though a better option is to just go overseas for education in the first place.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:16 PM

Frankly though there are very good options outside EU too, in Asia and South America. Plus EU has tons of countries, like in eastern Europe or Scandinavia, that are low-cost to live in.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This. Just a fantasy that even the best and brightest American students can get free rides or full scholarships anymore. Even they have student loan costs mounting for their studies.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Most of the debt dodgers won't be able to successful dodge the loans for the rest of their lives, assuming they're from the US and all their family is in the US.

Sooner or later one of the following will happen: (1) if this idea takes hold and becomes more popular there will be so many of these debt dodgers leaving the US that the US will have a serious incentive to find and start using various methods of tracking these folks and making them pay even if they never come back to the US. With technology and a global economy, it's only a matter of time before this becomes more and more possible and likely to happen. (2) Most of these debt dodgers will not be able to stay out of the US for the rest of their lives. Most of them will want to come back eventually and once they do the loans will still be waiting there for them, only with a much bigger balance from many years of unpaid interest and penalties. Unless they can survive for the rest of their lives once back in the USA without working, opening a bank account, inheriting anything, borrowing money from a bank or ever needing any kind of assistance from the government. (3) Foreign countries will get tired of all these deadbeats moving in. They will make it more difficult if not impossible for these folks to continue to stay in these countries. Most countries have enough of their own deadbeat citizens to support, they sure don't want to be known as attractive destinations for foreign deadbeats.

This is like any abuse of the system - the first people to figure out and use a loophole to game the system get lucky. Then the government figures out that the abuse is happening and getting too popular to be allowed to continue, so the rules are changed and the loophole closed. This is why the laws were changed so you can't bankrupt out of student loans except in extreme cases. Enough able-bodied people did or were expected to bankrupt out of their big student loans so the laws were changed to prevent it.

Really I'm not sure if we should care too much if these people leave the US. People who would do this in the first place aren't exactly the cream of the crop as far as future productive members of society so it's unlikely we would miss them.
No, most likely what'll happen first is that the whole student loan debt bubble in the US will collapse and the US will be forced to offer low cost education again, just like most of Europe. We have $1.3 trillion in debt and most of the debt isn't held by dodgers overseas, but Americans trapped in the US with no ability to oever buy homes, cars or contribute to the economy. IOW the student loans are utterly strangling the US economy, and as the amount rises, the strangulation will get ever worse. Let's get serious, $1.3 trillion is never gonna get paid back. Ever. I don't like the idea of debt forgiveness but it was stupid to allow educational institutions to push the price up so high to begin with. So there's gonna be no choice but for the lenders to eat the debt, causing another crash. Thing is, the alternative-- basically a permanent depression in the US economy deprived of consumer spending-- is even worse.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Indeed.

I'm sure all of them are in the EU illegally.

They will be caught and sent home eventually.

That's their mentality.

Just starting?

These scams have been going on for as long as I can remember -- all the way back to the 1970s.

And they've been well-publicized.

I bet most of these "students" just went to "school" in order to live off the free money that we taxpayers are on the hook to pay back.

That's because they buy our politicians -- both Democrats and Republicans.

Well said.

No, they are thieving, irresponsible, deadbeat trash.

No one forced them to take out those loans.

Exactly.
When students are told from Day One that they must, must, must get a college degree for anything other than burger flipping jobs, don't be surprised when they go for a college degree, esp when companies throw out their applications without it. And when the US cuts funding to even state universities, don't be surprised that students wind up in loans for their degrees. So yeah, society kinda did force them to take on these loans, because the alternative is to basically be unemployable. And no, they will not be "caught" in the EU, especially out in eastern Europe it's not that hard to get short-term visas that can be extended, and eventually get citizenship, provided that one learns the language, or something like French or esp German that's used for business in many EU countries. Besides they also have options in South America or Asia.

Big picture is that $1.3 trillion in student loans will crash the US economy, which will wreck the finances of everyone here including smug fools like you. So a much better idea would be to design our higher education system to avoid the damn loans in the first place.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Big picture is that $1.3 trillion in student loans will crash the US economy, which will wreck the finances of everyone here including smug fools like you. So a much better idea would be to design our higher education system to avoid the damn loans in the first place.
if you really think that the student debt will crash the economy, then you should be encouraging them to pay it back, not offering free college...

Writing off the debts would be defaulting on them since they would not be repaid...

And making it free would just add to the debt, and increase risk to economy or else being taxed on it for rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics