Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
That's right. I will continue to refuse to allow the government to dictate what they think I should do with my money (or refuse to support such idiocy at least). I earned my money and I should do what I think is appropriate with it. What moral claim do you have that would send an agency of force (the government) to take of my substance to alleviate your real and/or perceived problem? Slavery ended in this country a long time ago. That's what you're advocating, a return to it: that I should work to provide for you. If you think that's selfish, so be it. I for one do not need a government entity to dictate morals to me nor do I need to defend my own morals before others when it's none of their d--- business.
You want to take government services without paying for them? Police, fire, etc.....?

How is that not simply transferring the "slavery" from one person to another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:00 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You want to take government services without paying for them? Police, fire, etc.....?

Agreed.

I truly don't understand the thought process of people who don't think they should have to pay any taxes at all. I can see complaining about how much they pay, but, come on, taxes have always been and always will be. It's called society. It's not new.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
middle class are people who are stuck in the middle, like a middle child, like a middle finger. they're pulled between two different forces, and have always been unhappy throughout the history of mankind.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
middle class are people who are stuck in the middle, like a middle child, like a middle finger. they're pulled between two different forces, and have always been unhappy throughout the history of mankind.
This totally sidesteps the issue of why the middle class is angry - yes, there has always been a middle, but the gaps and differences in income were not so huge. Now it is out of control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ymNmttW34

Old 04-02-2016, 05:40 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:

Where did I say that in my argument? I said very simply I think I should do with my money what I think is appropriate. You re-stated that as taking government services without paying for them. You've re-defined my argument and rejected your own definition. Do you always make strawmans out of discussions?

Also, how else would you define slavery outside of making someone else work for you? That is a clear form of slavery. Bottom line is someone else's rights do not cost me anything. If it costs me something, it is not a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I truly don't understand the thought process of people who don't think they should have to pay any taxes at all. I can see complaining about how much they pay, but, come on, taxes have always been and always will be. It's called society. It's not new.
I don't understand the thought process of people who think government should have power over matters that it was not constitutionally granted such education, energy, healthcare, marriage, food and drug administration.

I also don't understand the thought process of people who jump to conclusions that cannot be derived from the argument.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 04-02-2016 at 05:49 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
This totally sidesteps the issue of why the middle class is angry - yes, there has always been a middle, but the gaps and differences in income were not so huge. Now it is out of control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ymNmttW34
That video is accurate.

Perhaps the American electorate can be awakened but I doubt it.

Most people are fully consumed in their day to day struggles just trying to solve their own and family problems. They don't have the time to become politically engaged.

I remember the 50s and 60s. Teachers could actually buy a new house and have enough income to raise a family and take an annual vacation.

Most people I know have become cynical. They have totally given up on politics. That's why the force to change needs to come from the young people. It's their future that is at risk.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Where did I say that in my argument? I said very simply I think I should do with my money what I think is appropriate. You re-stated that as taking government services without paying for them. You've re-defined my argument and rejected your own definition. Do you always make strawmans out of discussions?

Also, how else would you define slavery outside of making someone else work for you? That is a clear form of slavery. Bottom line is someone else's rights do not cost me anything. If it costs me something, it is not a right.

I don't understand the thought process of people who think government should have power over matters that it was not constitutionally granted such education, energy, healthcare, marriage, food and drug administration.

I also don't understand the thought process of people who jump to conclusions that cannot be derived from the argument.
None of this makes any sense at all. The 16th Amendment to the US constitution allows them to collect income taxes. Lower class, middle class, angry middle class, upper class, does not matter.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:49 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
None of this makes any sense at all. The 16th Amendment to the US constitution allows them to collect income taxes.
What's that got to do with anything I said?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
What's that got to do with anything I said?
Why don't you specify what you think taxes should be levied to pay for and what they shouldn't?

Old 04-02-2016, 02:08 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Why don't you specify what you think taxes should be levied to pay for and what they shouldn't?
I believe he/she was replying specifically to your post about not getting funding for your research projects:

<Originally Posted by ncole1
so I can find out yet again that there is no research funding, because people like you refuse to chip in?>

And I have to agree. "People like us" may have other priorities besides your lab's projects. Times are tough. Budgets are tight. Might need to get back to basics and you may want to look for work that is not dependent on government funding. Or find a lab that is doing critical work that the government wants to fund. There is only so much tax money to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics