Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
In the case of Germany, they did not have the housing bubble we did.
With 1/3rd of Germans living with their adult children, why would they?

As for the rest of Europe...

Quote:
Among Europeans ages 25-34, nearly one-in-three men and one-in-five women lived with at least one of their parents in 2008, according to a recent report from the European Commission. The highest shares were in Bulgaria for men (61%) and in Slovakia for women (42%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:11 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Interesting. I would have thought it would have been the reverse, higher percentage of women living at home than men, or at least more equal. Actually that's less then the US though so I'm not sure what it has to do with not having a housing bubble.

More Millennials Living With Family Despite Improved Job Market | Pew Research Center

Of course, they're excluding college students 18-24, not sure about in your case.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:15 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
Everything you read about the millennial generation is depressing.

I feel for them, lots can't even get into the game.

I hope we move forward quickly and not be stagnant for decades.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Interesting. I would have thought it would have been the reverse, higher percentage of women living at home than men, or at least more equal. Actually that's less then the US though so I'm not sure what it has to do with not having a housing bubble.

More Millennials Living With Family Despite Improved Job Market | Pew Research Center

Of course, they're excluding college students 18-24, not sure about in your case.
Of course they are.

Are you guys checking home prices??

Even with better wages you can't afford a decent home.

And don't forget about college debt.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:59 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Of course they are.

Are you guys checking home prices??

Even with better wages you can't afford a decent home.

And don't forget about college debt.
When I first went to school here was my situation.

Tuition for the year, just under $1,000, I believe I paid $963 for the first year tuition
Min. wage in CA $4.25/hr
Typical starting wage for people out of college (4yr degree) $38k/yr
First house I bought, $205k

Today I would of been in this situation.

Tuition same school, $9,000/yr
Min. Wage now in CA $10/hr (just changed this year, was $9/hr)
Starting wage hasn't changed much, might be a little higher
Same exact house, $700-750k

Old 03-05-2016, 09:44 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
With 1/3rd of Germans living with their adult children, why would they?

As for the rest of Europe...

The percentage of young adults (18-29 years old) living with their parents is relatively low in Germany:

Europe's young adults living with parents - a country by country breakdown | News | The Guardian

It's 23% in Germany.

Finland: 15%
Austria, Denmark, Germany: 23%
UK: 26%
France: 28%
EU: 48%
Spain: 49%
Italy: 79%

It's 31% for the U.S. but this figure is for young adults ranging from 18-34 years old. So the number for young adults (18-29 years old) will be significant higher.

More Young Adults Live With Their Parents Now Than During the Recession - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Rents are relatively inexpensive in Germany, so it's very easy for young adults to move out.

There was no housing bubble in Germany, because house prices were falling in Germany in inflation adjusted terms, because that's what house prices are supposed to do:

http://media1.faz.net/ppmedia/aktuel...uroraum-st.jpg

When a house is getting older it becomes less livable and it needs more upkeeping. Therefore house prices should fall over time. Rising house prices are an absurdity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics