Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:26 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
And why would the financial/corporate/govt elites want to crash the market? Probably most of there wealth comes from it!!!
I don't know. I'm not adept at hawking conspiracy-theories.

But one possibility is that "the financial industry" (whatever that means) makes its money by convincing investors that buy-and-hold is stupid, that only active-trading and expert-advice can assure genuine profits. A solidly ascendant market, of the type that we had say in 2013, is great for small investors and for pension-funds, but not so great for investment-pros. Pros want volatility.

That's the fee-side of it. The other side is direct investment. A volatile market can be exploited on both the upside and the downside, by those who know what they're doing. For this reason, insiders from time to time manufacture phony crises, getting the retail investor addled and thus generating trading-opportunities.

So that's my attempt at conspiracy-theories. How am I doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
There is a website run by a trader/investor who talks about this sort of thing:

pebblewriter | technical analysis, economics and occasional rants on financial markets

But, in a nutshell, the manipulation of the stock market has been going on for many months (since late last year).

And I don't think it has anything to do with protecting Obama's legacy lmao...

Here are my theories for why it is happening:

1) To prevent stock-market collapse
2) To prevent economic crash (related to point #1; see also Great Depression)
3) To prevent Donald from winning the Presidency. Points 1 and 2 above would almost guarantee this.

And I honestly believe point #3 is the biggest driver in all of this.

The elites in the media, finance, government, etc., are absolutely TERRIFIED of Donald Trump IMHO. Also true of Bernie Sanders; unfortunately, his chances of winning are remote at this point
I've heard of the rumors of Fed selling the VIX futures to push up the market in the past. It was back in 2014 and last year. They may have reported it on CNBC during the day, most visibly in the last 30 minutes of the day. It provides liquidity to large traders who short the VIX and go long the SP contract,.

Most likely, there's collusion among large traders in stocks and stock index futures, just as it's been shown to exist in several other markets (interest rates, debt, metals, currencies, etc.) and has resulted in price-fixing charges. The collusion is directed toward moving prices in both directions.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 AM

4,898 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I don't know. I'm not adept at hawking conspiracy-theories.

But one possibility is that "the financial industry" (whatever that means) makes its money by convincing investors that buy-and-hold is stupid, that only active-trading and expert-advice can assure genuine profits. A solidly ascendant market, of the type that we had say in 2013, is great for small investors and for pension-funds, but not so great for investment-pros. Pros want volatility.

That's the fee-side of it. The other side is direct investment. A volatile market can be exploited on both the upside and the downside, by those who know what they're doing. For this reason, insiders from time to time manufacture phony crises, getting the retail investor addled and thus generating trading-opportunities.

So that's my attempt at conspiracy-theories. How am I doing?
Eh...not buying it, sorry. At least not enough people to affect it to that degree.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I think the US markets have been very suspicious the last few months.

-Every other market in the world is getting hammered. Routinely down 2.5, 3 or 3.5% in a day. Yet the S&P has only closed down more than 2% in a day a few times!

On CNBC Asia or when they look at the European markets at night, some of the days are down 3 or 3.5%. Yet somehow.....miraculously.....the next day, the S&P isn't down as much?? It makes you wonder. Is there artificial support? What's going on?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:17 AM

106,562 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we are still that best house in the worst neighborhood .

one of the numbers i watch is the Chicago National Activity Index which monitors 85 different monthly indicators. numbers above zero indicate above trend
growth and negative readings mean below trend growth. Its latest reading was 0.28. The three-month moving average of this index, used to forecast recessions is
currently at -0.15, whereas a reading below -0.70 indicates the likely hood of a recession is high .

so while we are not doing great we certainly are doing a whole lot less bad compared to the rest of the world .

on the other hand bond and stock markets have just about been pricing in a recession so you have a divergence here with the markets realizing they may have been wrong the past month .

Old 03-05-2016, 09:49 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think the US markets have been very suspicious the last few months.

-Every other market in the world is getting hammered. Routinely down 2.5, 3 or 3.5% in a day. Yet the S&P has only closed down more than 2% in a day a few times!

On CNBC Asia or when they look at the European markets at night, some of the days are down 3 or 3.5%. Yet somehow.....miraculously.....the next day, the S&P isn't down as much?? It makes you wonder. Is there artificial support? What's going on?
Betting against the FED's printing press is a net loss operation in the short run, in the long run, something will interrupt the printing, or it will go wrong.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are still that best house in the worst neighborhood .

one of the numbers i watch is the Chicago National Activity Index which monitors 85 different monthly indicators. numbers above zero indicate above trend
growth and negative readings mean below trend growth. Its latest reading was 0.28. The three-month moving average of this index, used to forecast recessions is
currently at -0.15, whereas a reading below -0.70 indicates the likely hood of a recession is high .

so while we are not doing great we certainly are doing a whole lot less bad compared to the rest of the world .

on the other hand bond and stock markets have just about been pricing in a recession so you have a divergence here with the markets realizing they may have been wrong the past month .
I look at two things Baltic Dry and credit card delinquencies. Both of those number can't be fudged. Two quarters in row credit card delinquencies are up, the last time they stopped dropping and started climbing was 2007 2nd & 3rd qt. The Baltic is at an all time low.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:01 AM

well i think you will find the indicators all over the place but general consensus i find is no recession at this point .

Old 03-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well i think you will find the indicators all over the place but general consensus i find is no recession at this point .
No recession, but economic depression. CCs are a leading indictor, 6 months till it gets bad.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 PM

i learned decades ago to stop trying call this stuff . things not even on the radar usually alter what we all think anyway .

hell , i was sure we were headed for another great depression back in 1987 when markets lost 26% in one session and real estate collapsed here in nyc .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics