U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2016, 07:47 AM
 
23,885 posts, read 14,324,061 times
Reputation: 14643

Advertisements

With the "rally" in the market of late, there are very unusual S&P 500 futures trades that are being executed in large volume with no apparent news at all that defy the "algorithm triggers" that usually intiate options purchases, based on oil and the VIX.

Now what the hell is going on? Are the Feds, in an attempt to save Obama's legacy, putting off the eventual decline?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM
 
86,080 posts, read 83,614,883 times
Reputation: 61827
they certainly wouldn't have markets where we stood 16 years ago if that was the case . on an inflation adjusted basis we barely moved.

like when oil was rising and folks were screaming price fixing .

if that is the case then the oil company's and the plunge team are the worst price fixers in history .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 11:01 AM
 
4,231 posts, read 2,985,222 times
Reputation: 2207
Can they even do that

I mean is that legal??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 AM
 
22,110 posts, read 16,124,611 times
Reputation: 17155
Where are you seeing these trades? Where is it being reported if there isn't anything in the news?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,541 posts, read 2,426,595 times
Reputation: 1962
There is a website run by a trader/investor who talks about this sort of thing:

pebblewriter | technical analysis, economics and occasional rants on financial markets

But, in a nutshell, the manipulation of the stock market has been going on for many months (since late last year).

And I don't think it has anything to do with protecting Obama's legacy lmao...

Here are my theories for why it is happening:

1) To prevent stock-market collapse
2) To prevent economic crash (related to point #1; see also Great Depression)
3) To prevent Donald from winning the Presidency. Points 1 and 2 above would almost guarantee this.

And I honestly believe point #3 is the biggest driver in all of this.

The elites in the media, finance, government, etc., are absolutely TERRIFIED of Donald Trump IMHO. Also true of Bernie Sanders; unfortunately, his chances of winning are remote at this point

Last edited by Lycanmaster; 03-02-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 03:07 PM
 
3,792 posts, read 2,059,486 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Can they even do that

I mean is that legal??
Secrets Of The Plunge Protection Team


yes it is legal. Ronald Reagan made it law.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 03:15 PM
 
4,231 posts, read 2,985,222 times
Reputation: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Secrets Of The Plunge Protection Team


yes it is legal. Ronald Reagan made it law.
I never thought PPT was government

Obviously "some" buyers were saving indexes in interesting times.

I remember couple of months ago stocks fell like 6% and intraday they saved it and day closed positive

I believe it was on a Monday
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 03:19 PM
 
3,792 posts, read 2,059,486 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I never thought PPT was government
The FED isn't government
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

Obviously "some" buyers were saving indexes in interesting times.

I remember couple of months ago stocks fell like 6% and intraday they saved it and day closed positive

I believe it was on a Monday
Hmm is correct.


hard to bet against the FED's printing press short term. Long term?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
 
Location: moved
10,458 posts, read 6,387,095 times
Reputation: 17600
A complementary argument can be made from the opposite side: fundamentally, want went wrong, starting 30 December 2015? Nothing. And yet the market foreswore its almost perennial "Santa Claus Rally", and began instead a harrowing slide. Why? The "Manipulation" shout applies to the downside, just as much as to the upside.

Between Super Tuesday and the Syrian refugee crisis and whatnot, is anyone still paying attention to the latest unemployment numbers? February was another smashing month - despite winter doldrums and the usual post-Christmas layoff season. So why isn't the stock market thundering to new all-time highs? Why is nobody shrieking that nefarious string-pullers are jerking the market downward, preventing the S&P 500 from reaching a more natural position, say at 2500 or 2800?

I'm not saying that stocks are a screaming bargain. But I AM saying that if something is off-kilter, that if we have manipulation and dirty tricks and so forth, that we could make a credible case for a "crash incitement team", just as much as for a "plunge protection team".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,541 posts, read 2,426,595 times
Reputation: 1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A complementary argument can be made from the opposite side: fundamentally, want went wrong, starting 30 December 2015? Nothing. And yet the market foreswore its almost perennial "Santa Claus Rally", and began instead a harrowing slide. Why? The "Manipulation" shout applies to the downside, just as much as to the upside.

Between Super Tuesday and the Syrian refugee crisis and whatnot, is anyone still paying attention to the latest unemployment numbers? February was another smashing month - despite winter doldrums and the usual post-Christmas layoff season. So why isn't the stock market thundering to new all-time highs? Why is nobody shrieking that nefarious string-pullers are jerking the market downward, preventing the S&P 500 from reaching a more natural position, say at 2500 or 2800?

I'm not saying that stocks are a screaming bargain. But I AM saying that if something is off-kilter, that if we have manipulation and dirty tricks and so forth, that we could make a credible case for a "crash incitement team", just as much as for a "plunge protection team".
The only problem is that people don't believe those reports...

Angry Americans: How the 2008 Crash Fueled a Political Rebellion - Bloomberg Politics

Quote:
The one story about the U.S. economy that has virtually no traction among American voters right now is that it’s doing OK.
...
Anyone inclined to tell that story, as President Barack Obama did in his final State of the Union address in January, can find headline data to back it up. But primary-season revolts -- the Donald Trump mutiny against the Republican establishment, and the fiercer-than-expected challenge from Bernie Sanders against a Democratic frontrunner with all the advantages -- are driven by fed-up Americans saying it isn’t so...
And why would the financial/corporate/govt elites want to crash the market? Probably most of there wealth comes from it!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top