Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 12:11 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You go to a brick and mortar store to try on the clothes, then order it online.
Similar thing happened to small/local camera shops when WalMarts came to town.

People would come in and handle the cameras, pick our brains about what would work best for their needs and then run over to WalMart to pick it up cheaper and sometimes even bring the cameras purchased at WalMart to us to ask for further instruction.

Did not make many sales once WalMart came to town, but kept busy with that (which seemed to translate to more film processing for us - our processor was much better than WalMart at the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Looks like closer to 200 - 250 stores
George Zimmer was the soul of Men's Warehouse... his ouster is being felt... no longer the family feel working there.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Looks like closer to 200 - 250 stores
As i said something else is goin' on.

None of these store closures make sense.

Do people buy clothing online??

This is becoming something interesting.

We'll see how it turns out.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:39 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Is he the fellow with the well trimmed beard in the television commercial?
He could be the new "Most Interesting Man In The World"

Dos Equis retiring its 'Most Interesting Man in the World'

Old 03-10-2016, 02:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
He could be the new "Most Interesting Man In The World"

Dos Equis retiring its 'Most Interesting Man in the World'
I searched and found it is that guy so I deleted my post.

I thought he had wonderful presence in those commercials. Made one wish they had a reason to purchase a suit.

I did purchase a new one last year and was well treated by the staff.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You go to a brick and mortar store to try on the clothes, then order it online.
The batch run could still be different. I have three sets of trousers which are from the same manufacturer and indicated size but vary considerable in the waist.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:48 PM

132 posts, read 153,915 times
I buy nearly everything I can online. Clothing included. I use Trunk Club and have a stylist select items and ship them to me about once a month. I keep what I like and only pay for that, the rest are returned. The personal service is there and it is excellent. Zappos is also good with excellent service and free shipping both ways. I'm not surprised Men's Wearhouse is closing many stores. The majority of their items were unfashionable, ugly, and dated.

I make a grocery list, order online, and it is delivered later the same day. Easy and I only get what is on my list, not all the impulse crap I would probably buy if I went to the store myself.

I do occasionally stop in a local CVS to pickup items I need quickly. Usually because I ran out and wasn't paying enough attention to get them within the Amazon 2 day shipping timeframe. I also have monthly dermatology prescriptions I pickup there, but once again it is easy to go online and setup the refill and they have it ready and waiting when I walk in the door.

I tried to purchase a replacement battery for my laptop from a local store and it was a mess. First I called them and gave them the model number and they said they had a battery in stock that would work. Perfect, I wanted it in time for a work trip the next day because my battery had stopped holding a charge beyond 15 minutes or so. Went to the store, nope didn't actually have the right one, but they could order it and have it there in a week or so. They wanted nearly $80 more than what the same battery costs on Amazon. I said no thanks and left.

There is little value-added incentive for me to visit a brick and mortar store most of the time. Probably a generational thing (I'm 30), but I'm very comfortable ordering almost anything online and doing the research myself. I don't really need to talk to a biased store associate about which item is better because I can find reviews and advice all over the internet.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:54 PM

Amazon does not respect manufacturer's MAP. So if one company elects to undercut the obtain the business then other E-Commerce sellers follow suit. Becomes a dive to the lowest price. Terrible for manufacturers. And physical stores.

I think parent's of young kids will probably still go to physical stores because the ever changing size of their children. And the usual immediate need for clothing. Same with cosmetics/perfume/cologne. etc.

There are some products a person needs to handle/touch to assess value. Housewares being one. I guess stores focus on the impulse rather than wait for an online search for pricing. That "Anticipation" theme from Heinz comes to mind.

I am interested in this thread for business reasons BTW. The more input from you folks the better. I train folks to sell and business owner improre their efficiency.

I think except for shallow customers. Outstanding customer service is always the key to having a sale executed in store rather than online. That and the coupons.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-10-2016 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,019 times
I don't know about the wind, but some of those chain stores (I) think are closing because people don't want to work for minimum wages because they can fake a disability, get on the government dole, and do better financially than working!

That being said, they may rent for the rest of their lives, but that is also what NPR reported yesterday, the renting.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,019 times
Another observation about the economy of people, is that more obesity is prevalent and disabilities are recognized for obesity!

Put those people to work, cut back the food stamps and they would probably not be on disability!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics