Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 02:30 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I worked in a electronics manufacturing plant with 25,000 to 30,000 and it was highly automated, with another 15,000 in a plant a few miles away with slightly differing products. Thousands of engineers, top R&D super brilliant product people, thousands of the latest top automation systems, real top notch state of the art US manufacturing with hardly an equal. They moved 98% of it to Brazil and Malaysia though because they believed that saved money. Even with top automation, I can say companies are determined to put only paper jobs in US and everything else outside the US.

In other countries they can make people work 100 hours a week, spill lead and contamination right into the river and grounds of the plant, drop all the air purification, safety systems all eliminated, etc, etc.

I grew up in an area with a lot of tech manufacturing and it was the same, they were quite decent places to work and highly competitive. This went on through the nineties, and a little beyond, it was devastating to see it end. Those companies had so many shift workers that restaurants stayed open all night for them. As much as people want to think of factory workers as mouth breathers, there were a lot of smart people employed in manufacturing and many of these tech companies had high standards that had to be met.

It was a really good time economically, the small city didn't sleep because of these companies and anyone who wanted a job could find one. Now the city rolls up early, the only 24 hr restaurants are where hookers and drug dealers hang out in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 04:24 PM

537 posts, read 597,951 times
If robotics reach a point where they are more easily able to replace humans, then manufacturing might come back to the US. but even then, perhaps it's cheaper to operate out of China.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:42 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The 1,200 out produce the 50k of yesteryear.
In that case shouldn't the company be able to provide the same amount or more of the following quantities as GE did?

Inventory taxes paid to the state government.

Income taxes paid to the federal, state, and local governments.

The employees share of income taxes once paid by 48,800 local employees to the federal, state and local governments, since they are saving the expense of those 48,800 employees.

Property taxes wholly paid by those 48,800 employees for the local school districts, fire districts, city infrastructure maintenance and upgrades, etc.

Medical expenses for 48,800 families since, again, they are saving the expense of 48,800 employees.

Instead of supporting the local economy BETTER with all that 'productivity increase', they have UNILATERALLY chosen the mantra that "Maximising shareholder value" is their only and best purpose for existing, and to hell with all of the other stakeholders. All the gated communities and private security won't keep the wolves from the door when the public pulls it's eyes away from organized sports, pacifying religions, and manufactured reality television celebrities and decides to take back their country. Ask Czar Nicholas II how things worked out.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 03-22-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 04:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is always a price to pay for ignorance . getting a good job isn't only about being educated , it is about being creative .

it is about learning to do the things people can't or won't do for themselves . our septic guy when we had the house in PA . had an elementary school education and owned an amazingly profitable business .

those who want to succeed will find a way - the rest just find an excuse
Dirty, Disgusting and Dangerous will always have a niche market.

The one man independent roto-rotor guy was clearing a 150k here 10 years ago... he was a working fool and dependable... if I needed him anytime night or day he would give me a time and show up...

A few times he had his son with him and I asked if he was expanding... he said no... he didn't want his son to follow in his footsteps with only a High School Education... he wanted his son to be somebody and this is a quote.

Jim had a very nice home in a nice Walnut Creek neighborhood and his van was spotless... the availability for cell phones transformed his business... basically a one man no employee business on wheels.

I also met a guy the repairs flag pole... even on the top of High Rise buildings... makes a lot of money... no employees... his father was a lumber jack and that is how he got started... except scaling heights in San Francisco is way more profitable than cutting trees and Ashland Oregon.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
wage inflation has shrunk labor costs in china to within 5% of the usa . my company is looking in to mexico for fabrication .

manufacturing here is out because certain processes are just to costly to do here and meet epa regulations .

epa costs are a bigger factor then labor costs .

in fact glock can't manufacture here because they can't do the tenifer finish on their guns here in the states . they only can assemble here .
Locally we had a lot of small plating shops... there were dozens... some did specialty jewelry type work and others did anything that could fit into the tank...

I would take coffee cans of Model A bolts to have them Cad Plated for $15 a can.

Not a single one of those shops exist today... all gone for good.

Apple had manufacturing in the SF Bay Area and one of the reason they moved offshore was because plating was becoming cost prohibitive...

Old 03-22-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
junk is junk and as they say the poor man pays twice . they buy low end stuff and end up having to replace it sooner . either it does not work as planned or it fails .
I do buy a few things at Harbor Freight... the price for their chain makes it almost free... like 20 cents on the dollar...

Sure I can find a good deal on American made chain but then the freight kicks in and doubles the price.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:07 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
All the gated communities and private security won't keep the wolves from the door when the public pulls it's eyes away from organized sports, pacifying religions, and manufactured reality television celebrities and decides to take back their country. Ask Czar Nicholas II how things worked out.
Have you seen any indication of this? Trends are heading in the opposite direction. More plugged in, not less. There is no will for revolution there.

They've already been sticking it to us for 40 years, but how many are even aware of this? The propaganda has been very effective at keeping everyone confused and divided. I bet 50% of the population would fight on the side of the oligarchs! If anyone had the will to fight. Any potential threat will be swiftly nullified using the new "terrorist" laws.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
In that case shouldn't the company be able to provide the same amount or more of the following quantities as GE did?

Inventory taxes paid to the state government.

Income taxes paid to the federal, state, and local governments.

The employees share of income taxes once paid by 48,800 local employees to the federal, state and local governments, since they are saving the expense of those 48,800 employees.

Property taxes wholly paid by those 48,800 employees for the local school districts, fire districts, city infrastructure maintenance and upgrades, etc.

Medical expenses for 48,800 families since, again, they are saving the expense of 48,800 employees.

NO.

Maxmize shareholder value and that benefits society. Wealth gets reinvested.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:37 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I do buy a few things at Harbor Freight... the price for their chain makes it almost free... like 20 cents on the dollar...

Sure I can find a good deal on American made chain but then the freight kicks in and doubles the price.

Just because the Harbor Freight tools are inexpensive does not mean they are junk. Because the tools are so cheap, I have sets of tools in my RV, in my garage and in the basement. All of these tools are made in China and of decent quality. They are every bit as good as my 20, 30, and 40+ year old tools from Sears.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Fallacy alert.

The fact that much of the rest of the world needed to rebuild after the war was not a benefit to the US economy. It isn't as though we profited from it somehow.
Thanks for alerting us that your post was a fallacy.

The US companies benefited tremendously while the rest of the world was rebuilding because they had no competition. You don't think Apple would benefit if tomorrow all of Samsung's factories were blown up and production halted for years? What do you think the millions of people who would have been buying Samsung phones next year do, buy an iphone or do without?

But that benefit swung the other direction once the rest of the world was rebuilt because now they had modern efficient factories while we had aging decrepit factories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics