Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 02:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Are you saying that someone who invests their money in something and sees its value increase over time didn't earn it?
In terms of accounting, she did not earn it.

Obviously she earned it in all other senses of the term. She made decisions that paid off. By making those decisions, she earned the gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 02:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Focus on "Need"

Need is all encompassing...

Think of it like this... if you can't cover your needs you are indeed poor.

Contrary to the stereotype of the poor, I try to look and plan ahead for future needs. (There's a difference between thinking about future needs and being able to prepare adequately for them.)

So I disagree with Dickens as well.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:28 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was a casualty of the times.
Why do I get the feeling "it wasn't my fault that I didn't succeed" is a well worn theme with you?

If you want to figure out why you've achieved about as much as a high school graduate, look here first. This attitude gets you nowhere, nor does obsessing over the value of an ex-girlfriends house.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Focus on "Need"

Need is all encompassing...

Think of it like this... if you can't cover your needs you are indeed poor.

Renting is where - in the absence of rent control or stabilization - you cannot control your future (housing financial) needs.

As I like to put it,

10 years ago I couldn't afford to buy, which is why today I can't afford to rent.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Why do I get the feeling "it wasn't my fault that I didn't succeed" is a well worn theme with you?

If you want to figure out why you've achieved about as much as a high school graduate, look here first. This attitude gets you nowhere, nor does obsessing over the value of an ex-girlfriends house.

This is a simple fact; I was born too late to get rich working in a NYC subway token booth; all the valuable coins were gone by the time I was old enough to work that job.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
of course he doesn't think they are working for a living .

he forgets some use their hands ,others their minds and still some their money to do what they do for a living .

the same way someone takes the risk taking a student loan like he did and it didn't pan out ,investors do that with their capital .

so by his logic if i bought a business and had others work it i would not be working .

Old 03-26-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
This is a simple fact; I was born too late to get rich working in a NYC subway token booth; all the valuable coins were gone by the time I was old enough to work that job.
what excuse number is born to late ?

Old 03-26-2016, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Renting is where - in the absence of rent control or stabilization - you cannot control your future (housing financial) needs.

As I like to put it,

10 years ago I couldn't afford to buy, which is why today I can't afford to rent.
how are your food costs , energy costs , medical costs and any other costs in life locked in either ?
again , renting isn't the issue , many rent their entire lives and are financially successful .

you are the problem , not the rent . you failed to earn an adequate living that supports you . that is the issue , not the rent

Old 03-26-2016, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
of course he doesn't think they are working for a living .

he forgets some use their hands ,others their minds and still some their money to do what they do for a living .

the same way someone takes the risk taking a student loan like he did and it didn't pan out ,investors do that with their capital .

so by his logic if i bought a business and had others work it i would not be working .

"So what do you do for a living?"

"I own a business."

"That's nice, but what do you do?"

Some people use their feet; I had one job where I operated a foot pedal.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:45 AM

for 40 years , at the end of the day despite some of the engineering stuff i did i bought a box and sold a box as an electrical wholesaler . i did very well selling those boxes others created .
as an investor i let my money work for me as well . i took the risk i would lose it or the risk i gave up other opportunity's by buying what i did and i expected to be compensated for taking that risk .

i want that compensation to be the max i can get , the same as all of us want as pay from our jobs .

the same way you couldn't care less about your boss's personal expenses the reality is as a landlord i couldn't care less about yours . you want to use my money invested in my property , you will pay for that privilege and pay as much as the market will let me earn .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics