Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 02:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how are your food costs , energy costs , medical costs and any other costs in life locked in either ?
again , renting isn't the issue , many rent their entire lives and are financially successful .

you are the problem , not the rent . you failed to earn an adequate living that supports you . that is the issue , not the rent

I live in a city where median rent increased 15 percent last year. Burger flippers can't keep up with that. Wholesale migration of poverty. My health insurance went up $2/mo (less than 2%) this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 02:51 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
your problem ! no one elses fault you earn a kiddie wage and either won't or can't work smarter for more money or work more jobs .
no one else is expected to take an income cut because you failed . they did not . we all want to earn the highest market rate we can for whatever it is we do to earn our living .

no reason anyone else has to earn less just because you do .

find a way - not an excuse

the fact you choose to pile on the excuses is your problem , no one else's . you try to pin the fact your kiddie wage fails to keep up on others because they want to earn a market income . sorry , not their doing , it is all 100% your fault .

all your solutions are to lower standards , lower others income or restrict what others do . nothing is a responsibility in your mind on your side to simply find a way to earn more money . this is something you failed to do over your lifetime , now you want others to pay a price for your failure or you constantly ask others what you are supposed to do after you committed financial suicide .. .

nothing personal , but just sayin .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-26-2016 at 03:05 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 03:06 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This is a simple fact; I was born too late to get rich working in a NYC subway token booth; all the valuable coins were gone by the time I was old enough to work that job.
Well there you go, that explains it!

Instead of making choices that will advance you in life just go after some niche job that you fantasize about getting, and if that doesn't work out just be some man-child who never accomplishes anything and blames it all on everyone else.

God Bless America.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:04 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,426,909 times
Quote:
I live in a city where median rent increased 15 percent last year. Burger flippers can't keep up with that. Wholesale migration of poverty. My health insurance went up $2/mo (less than 2%) this year.

How could the rent have increased 15% if there weren't people able to afford it? If all these units were now lying vacant because NO ONE can afford it, shouldn't the price be dropping rapidly?

So, what you're saying is you're trying to live in a highly desirable area, and get priced out of the market, because the skill that you bring isn't as highly valued as the people who ARE able to command a salary high enough to afford the rent?

freemkt indeed

Old 03-26-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In terms of accounting, she did not earn it.

Obviously she earned it in all other senses of the term. She made decisions that paid off. By making those decisions, she earned the gains.

How was it not earned from an accounting perspective? Just because income is passive income rather than being earned through a wage, doesn't mean it wasn't earned.

The person used their income producing asset to secure additional wealth. Who should be entitled to it if not them? They had all the risk. The property value could have fallen off a cliff. They have the opportunity cost of parking that money in this asset rather than another.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
As an employee, he was required daily to cash out properly; he used his own money to 'purchase' the valuable coins which he pocketed and sold. Presumably he was not prohibited from doing this as long as he did not incur cash shortages, i.e. as long as the cash he turned in was equal to the value of the tokens he sold (plus whatever cash he started the day with for making change). Note that this activity is infinitely sustainable as long as you're selling coins above face value.

Working in convenience stores, I have done the same with the occasional silver coin that came in from time to time. This guy was working in a high-volume location for decades with valuable coins passing through in great quantity.

So he committed fraud on a daily basis? You do realize what he was doing was a crime?

You missed out on the fraud train, so now you're stuck sleepwalking through life?

You've got to be kidding me. My head just blew up like those commercials with the purple "poof".

Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,523 times
After seeing some posts that feel "poor" timing has resulted in their limitations, I would say there is some truth to that. I often think about viable industries that become obsolete in which one group was able to make a solid living at until retirement and those that joined that field mid life cycle of the business find themselves in a career that fails them.

Take the coal industry for example, up until a few years ago it was a very viable business whether blue or white collar but it is obvious that coal is going by the way of the lead paint.

I see many industries being changed hence wiping out many workers due to technology advances which have accelerated to catch many off guard in their chosen career.

I know this is off topic a bit but I noticed some were stating timing issues and I am firm believing in the right place, right time occurrence just the same as wrong place, wrong time. Tough world, my suggestion no matter what industry in your in is live beneath your means, save whenever you can and continue to look for opportunities to advance.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:05 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
this has been a trend ever since i was a pro drummer in the 1970's and dee jay's came on the scene . in fact the buggy and buggy whip makers got hit real hard with the invention of the car .

Old 03-26-2016, 08:17 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,524,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How did he convince NYC to let him buy the coins?
Buy????!!!!

Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
your problem ! no one elses fault you earn a kiddie wage and either won't or can't work smarter for more money or work more jobs .
no one else is expected to take an income cut because you failed . they did not . we all want to earn the highest market rate we can for whatever it is we do to earn our living .

no reason anyone else has to earn less just because you do .

find a way - not an excuse

the fact you choose to pile on the excuses is your problem , no one else's . you try to pin the fact your kiddie wage fails to keep up on others because they want to earn a market income . sorry , not their doing , it is all 100% your fault .

all your solutions are to lower standards , lower others income or restrict what others do . nothing is a responsibility in your mind on your side to simply find a way to earn more money . this is something you failed to do over your lifetime , now you want others to pay a price for your failure or you constantly ask others what you are supposed to do after you committed financial suicide .. .

nothing personal , but just sayin .

I like to think of it as increasing economic liberty and consumer options.

Government likes to make it more difficult for people to live within their means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics