Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
*thumps head on desk*

Counterfeit pennies and dimes. What WILL they think of next?

FYI, most people get counterfeit money from tellers because if a teller is found with say, a counterfeit 20 in her cash drawer, it will be a loss on her record.

*thumps head on desk over and over*

Tell you what, next time you're in the grocery store, ask the clerk how happy they are to take rolls of coin to pay for a grocery purchase. Also, see my answer below.

First of all, I'm a grown woman.

Secondly, are you seriously telling me you would stand quietly and patiently in line while a grocery clerk cashier spent 5 minutes counting out $2 in pennies? I doubt it. I think you'd be the first one complaining about it.

Third, please read the title of this thread. It said "Interesting Time at the Bank this Afternoon". Where did I ask for any sympathy? I'm simply surprised that a little courtesy isn't present in this day and age.

And let me correct your word usage. It's: Thou art victim, hear thee roar (if roar is a verb) or hear thy roar (if roar is a noun). If you're going to make fun of someone, at least get it right.
You said it cost a " bit more than a dollar." So starting with ten dimes...what, a few pennies? Keep banging your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Third, please read the title of this thread. It said "Interesting Time at the Bank this Afternoon". Where did I ask for any sympathy? I'm simply surprised that a little courtesy isn't present in this day and age.
Banks not willing to make change for a non account holder, is not being dis-courteous. Due to current rules on cash put to them by the government they don't do any cash transaction of any type regardless of the amount or who it is. The rules they operate their bank under have to be uniform, regardless of size, period. It is not courteous or dis-courteous that is important, it has to be a hard and fast rule. It does not matter, if it is under a dollar, or over $100,000 that is involved.

I knew a real estate broker starting on his return from WWII, that did a lot of commercial property transactions with 2 brothers. They would show up at a restaurant where they would sign the papers, and always paid with a paper bag filled with cash, counted out to the exact cent of the amount on the closing papers to come from his client. Today he could not do this as the government would consider it was money laundering.

Banks all over the country are moving to only do business with customers, and only willing to exchange cash for cash, or accept it for any other reason from account holders. Frankly this is exactly what regulators are working to enforce as a means on cracking down on money laundering. To comply, the banks are not willing to even exchange a dollar bill for 4 quarters, or vice-versa unless you have an account. The big banks due to the amount of business they do, are just the first ones to change the rules. Smaller banks and Credit Unions will be right behind them.

Quit blaming the banks, put the blame where it belongs, on the federal government.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^Please don't blame the Government.
Blame, the Law Makers. The Government is only following the directives of the Law.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
*thumps head on desk*

Counterfeit pennies and dimes. What WILL they think of next?

FYI, most people get counterfeit money from tellers because if a teller is found with say, a counterfeit 20 in her cash drawer, it will be a loss on her record.

Actually, someone DID produce large number of counterfeit nickels in the 1950s. It is said he made counterfeit nickels dated 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947, and 1953.

It was the 1944 counterfeits that tripped him up.

During World War II, scarce copper was diverted from coins to war production, hence the well-known 1943 steel cents. Copper was also removed from the five-cent coin - normally 75% copper - and replaced with a silver alloy. The plan for these 'wartime nickels' was to remove them from circulation after the war ended, and to melt them down for their silver.

To facilitate their eventual removal from circulation, a large mint mark was placed prominently on the reverse; so 1944 nickels are distinguishable by this oversize mint mark as well as by the discernible hue of their silver alloy.

The counterfeiter was apparently unaware of this, and made all his fakes without silver and without the oversize mint mark.

Henning Counterfeit Nickel
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting time at the bank this afternoon-obv1944p.jpg   Interesting time at the bank this afternoon-rev1944p.jpg  

Old 03-31-2016, 04:51 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
First of all, I'm a grown woman.
Apologies, I tend to assume male with gender agnostic usernames and I shouldn't.

Quote:
Secondly, are you seriously telling me you would stand quietly and patiently in line while a grocery clerk cashier spent 5 minutes counting out $2 in pennies? I doubt it. I think you'd be the first one complaining about it.
You'd be wrong, I'm not going to complain about someone paying in the manner they see fit with legal tender. Plus given my current living situation I've developed more patience for day-to-day processes like that than you'll ever know.

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-31-2016 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: bickering

Old 03-31-2016, 07:20 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
What I'm talking about here - read my lips - is ten dimes. Ten. Which anyone could have counted 30 times over in the time it's taken you to read what I've just posted. Again, I MIGHT have become a customer. Now I definitely WON'T be. If you are a business owner, which would you prefer?
The other day I brought in fifteen dollars in loose change and asked for bills. They took down my account number so that if I shorted them they could deduct the shortfall from my account. What are they going to do if I have no account? Chase me down the street?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The other day I brought in fifteen dollars in loose change and asked for bills. They took down my account number so that if I shorted them they could deduct the shortfall from my account. What are they going to do if I have no account? Chase me down the street?

That's why it's called Chase.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:39 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Maybe this is an east coast/west coast thing. I also only know of one branch in my area that has any sort of significant barrier between the tellers and the customers, and I know most east coast branches have bars or bullet resistant glass.
I've lived a few different places on the east coast, and I'm not familiar with that at all. I guess you mean in large cities?

Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
You said it cost a " bit more than a dollar." So starting with ten dimes...what, a few pennies? Keep banging your head.
LOL I needed a bottle of ketchup and soy sauce. For some reason I found myself with a bunch of chicken for the end of the month and a bunch of Asian recipes, which usually take soy sauce and ketchup. Let's see you buy that with a dollar. What I ended up doing was getting a bottle of soy sauce for $1.99 and a can of tomatoes for a dollar and making my own ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Apologies, I tend to assume male with gender agnostic usernames and I shouldn't.
I wish they would allow us some letters next to our names that would let people know whether we're male or female, or gay or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's why it's called Chase.
OK, that was a good one. You win the internets this week.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Yes sir. My tenant is out of town on vacation, so they had a friend try to make a cash deposit. They were turned away. Chase said it is to protect their customers. Actually, it is a burden. His friend told them he works for another bank and pulled out his ID and all that but still no good. WT_ ?
If Chase has the means to identify counterfeit money from account holders why can't they do the same with non-customers if they provide an IDs?
It's just another instance of over-regulation, and stupidity, in the banking industry.
I think only the Clintons could do a cash deposit as a non-customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics