Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times

Advertisements

Forbes is recently coming up with good articles

It's about Boeing or actually Airbus!

Forbes Welcome

Also WTO is a joke!!!

Europeans are protecting their companies while our idiots are yelling "free" trade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:35 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

Forbes Welcome

Also WTO is a joke!!!

Europeans are protecting their companies while our idiots are yelling "free" trade

You shouldn't believe everything what you find on the internet. America protects it's manufacturers much more than Europe does. Just look at the buy American clause for public orders. We don't have this in Europe.

The author says himself that Boeing contributes to his think tank. He claims that jets from Boeing are better than the jets from Airbus. I really doubt that. I guess the jets are equal. I also doubt his claim that jets from Airbus are cheaper than those from Boeing.
The reason why Boeing has maybe some issues at the moment is the overrated US-Dollar. At the current exchange rate it will be difficult for the U.S. to stay competitive. Normally hourly labor costs in manufacturing are lower in the U.S. than in France or Germany. And much lower energy prices are also an advantage for the U.S. In the last years Boeing has delivered constantly more jets than Airbus.
Last year Boeing had a profit margin of 5.4%. It was 4.2% for Airbus. The whining of Boeing can probably explained with greed.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
You shouldn't believe everything what you find on the internet. America protects it's manufacturers much more than Europe does. Just look at the buy American clause for public orders. We don't have this in Europe.

The author says himself that Boeing contributes to his think tank. He claims that jets from Boeing are better than the jets from Airbus. I really doubt that. I guess the jets are equal. I also doubt his claim that jets from Airbus are cheaper than those from Boeing.
The reason why Boeing has maybe some issues at the moment is the overrated US-Dollar. At the current exchange rate it will be difficult for the U.S. to stay competitive. Normally hourly labor costs in manufacturing are lower in the U.S. than in France or Germany. And much lower energy prices are also an advantage for the U.S. In the last years Boeing has delivered constantly more jets than Airbus.
Last year Boeing had a profit margin of 5.4%. It was 4.2% for Airbus. The whining of Boeing can probably explained with greed.
I think you have but unofficially

And i don't agree on labor costs.

Europe is probably cheaper now.

Boeing of course delivers more jets cause they have more capacity.

Boeing employs 2X and maybe even more workers than Airbus.

I don't know Airbus' profit margin, where'd you get it??

Besides i don't know a single European airline buying lots of Boeings but our airlines are buying A320s in droves

And i mean France is cheap right??

Old 04-04-2016, 11:49 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:

Forbes Welcome

Also WTO is a joke!!!

Like Lukas said, we DO protect our industries; not with tariff but in other ways.

USA is the 2nd largest exporters in the world. If we stop free trade and started restricting imports, other countries will do the same to us. Again, we are the 2nd largest exporters in the world, we are only going to hurt ourselves starting trade wars.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:24 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
I think you have but unofficially

And i don't agree on labor costs.

Europe is probably cheaper now.

Boeing of course delivers more jets cause they have more capacity.

Boeing employs 2X and maybe even more workers than Airbus.

I don't know Airbus' profit margin, where'd you get it??

Besides i don't know a single European airline buying lots of Boeings but our airlines are buying A320s in droves

And i mean France is cheap right??

Here are data about the hourly labor costs in manufacturing:

https://www.conference-board.org/ilc...x.cfm?id=28269

In 2013 hourly labor costs in Germany were 35% higher than the ones in the U.S. Hourly labor costs in France were 18% higher. The exchange rate was 1 Euro = 1.33 USD. The exchange rate now is about 1 Euro = 1.11 USD. That means that labor costs in Germany are still 13% higher than in the U.S. Labor costs in France are now 2% lower.

The Airbus Group has about 139,000 employees. About half of them in the passenger aircraft business). Boeing has about 166,000 employees. But Boeing has a bigger defence business. The main reason why Airbus is struggling to build more jets is that the production facilities are spread all over Europe and huge jet parts have to be transported between them.

The distribution of Airbus employees (only the passenger aircraft business):

France: 38%
Germany: 38%
UK: 12%
Spain: 12%

Ryanair (big budget airline from Ireland) solely uses jets from Boeing
British Airways: 46% Boeing / 54% Airbus
Air France: 31% Boeing / 69% Airbus
Lufthansa: 16% Boeing / 79% Airbus
American Airlines: 48% Boeing / 40% Airbus
Delta Airlines: 58% Boeing / 20% Airbus

You can google for profit margins by searching for e.g. "Boeing income statement". American corporations have mostly higher profit margins than European ones.

I work for a company that developes and manufactures electrical traction equipment for buses and trams. We equip trolley buses for Seattle and San Francisco with electric drive systems. But to satisfy these buy American provisions we have to produce the equipment in the U.S. We don't have a production facility in the U.S. We have to rent a facility in the U.S. and send production workers to the U.S. to produce some parts and assembly them in the U.S. The buses itself are produced in the U.S. by the Canadian bus manufacturer New Flyer. That all makes the trolley buses significant more expensive. That means higher costs for the transport authorities in Seattle and San Francisco.
As far as I know, it's almost impossible to export buses from Europe to the U.S. And European buses are a lot more modern than the buses from New Flyer.

The main Daimler Sprinter plant is here in Düsseldorf. About 20% of the vans are exported to the U.S. But the U.S has very high tariffs on completely assembled vans. So the completely assembled vans have to be disassembled, packed in boxes and shipped to Charleston (SC), where the vans are assembled again. It's completely absurd. Daimler will now build a van production facility in Charleston to solve the issue. That will affect about 1,000 production workers here in Düsseldorf, a sixth of the workforce.

The U.S. protects it's manufacturers in many different ways. The reason of the huge trade deficit of the U.S. is not that the U.S. imports to much. The U.S. exports not enough. Not because of high tariffs on U.S. products, but rather because many U.S. products are unsalable in Europe and other parts of the world because of design or quality issues.
For example you can export Italian or German furnitures, door handles, or faucets to the U.S. Because some Americans like European designed products. But it's impossible to sell those products with an American design in Europe. You can export expensive German made windows to the U.S. but it's impossible to export American windows to Europe.

The U.S. and the EU are negotiating TTIP. But the U.S. doesn't want to quit these stupid buy American provisions. I'm actually in favor of free trade agreements, but I'm opposed to TTIP.
The majority here in Germany think that the U.S. will pull us over the barrel in these negotiations. Europeans in general think that the U.S. would never agree to a contract that isn't favorable for the U.S.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I work for a company that developes and manufactures electrical traction equipment for buses and trams. We equip trolley buses for Seattle and San Francisco with electric drive systems. But to satisfy these buy American provisions we have to produce the equipment in the U.S. We don't have a production facility in the U.S. We have to rent a facility in the U.S. and send production workers to the U.S. to produce some parts and assembly them in the U.S. The buses itself are produced in the U.S. by the Canadian bus manufacturer New Flyer. That all makes the trolley buses significant more expensive. That means higher costs for the transport authorities in Seattle and San Francisco.
As far as I know, it's almost impossible to export buses from Europe to the U.S. And European buses are a lot more modern than the buses from New Flyer.
Wow!!!

I did not know that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics