Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 09:09 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times

Advertisements

Since 2010 California's population has been growing about 1% per year. People aren't fleeing it, but it is not growing like it used to in the 60s through 80s. Really from WWII to 2000, it was growing like crazy. It makes sense, a state can only grow so much.

Now it's Texas and Colorado - by far the highest growth states these days, followed by Florida, Washington and Arizona, then the southeastern seaboard, VA, NC, SC, GA.

The only state that has lost population in the last 5 years is West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 AM

679 posts, read 812,034 times
I would say initially those making more than the minimum wage wouldn't change. They should feel slighted, but corporate America's job is not to provide everyone the living they feel entitled to.

The long term effect is wages would increase, as will costs to the consumer, wiping out any gain that the temporary increased spending power the inflated minimum wage would have given.

Automation, outsourcing, reduced hours and other consequences would increase in the long term. Higher unemployment and permanent elimination of jobs can be expected.

Be careful of what you wish for.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 PM

17,165 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
The minimum wage increase isn't going to hurt Walmart and other giants. It's going to hurt small business. Maybe if these losers making minimum wage would apply themselves and start a business of their own they'd see how screwed up it is for a government (made up of parasites leeching off hard-working people) to mandate that someone must pay some mouthbreather a certain wage instead of allowing the two involved parties to come to their own agreement on what is and isn't worth it. Libs and their nanny state are pathetic. You want the government to wipe your a** for you too? How about nutting up and actually bettering yourself instead of expecting some parasitic psychopaths who conned their way into office to force innocent people into being your crutch in life?
I had a discussion with my wife about this. She is a small business owner. Her employee wages vary from $10-$15. She has maybe 10 or so employees. No one is going to want to work for her at minimum wage, so if MW is $15, she'll have to up her lowest paid to $17 or $18. So assume everyone gets a $5 increase. That's $50/hr extra she has to pay; $2,000/week, and $104,000 annually. Her business would tank in NO TIME. Same goes for pretty much any other small business out there.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM

399 posts, read 406,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Interesting that government jobs are the last ones that provide a pension. It's almost as if they're the only organization that cares about their employees vs the private sector that would pay you 1 dollar an hour if they were given the chance. The private sector is sociopathic.
Oh, I'd offer pension, full benefits, free medical, free dental, free schooling for your kids, paid vacations, free breakfast and lunch daily, and an office barista to make you any coffee drink you desire if I were in the business of fleecing hard-working Americans of their hard-earned money. Unfortunately, I actually have to EARN my money. I have to offer a good or service at a reasonable price and make the most of the resources I have. I can't just push my boot on the throats of hard-working people a little harder and squeeze out more dollars for my lazy behind.

Government workers are parasites with no accountability and no purpose other than to milk the working man. You want the nanny state to treat you like a mentally retarded child then go to Cuba, North Korea, or any other glowing example of communism. If, on the other hand, you're not a pathetic sack who needs his hand held by big brother then nut up and take care of yourself. No one owes you a pension.

Spend less, make more, Save, make better decisions, learn to invest, grow the eff up.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:31 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Interesting that government jobs are the last ones that provide a pension. It's almost as if they're the only organization that cares about their employees vs the private sector that would pay you 1 dollar an hour if they were given the chance. The private sector is sociopathic.
No, they get to spend other people's money. That's not compassion. It's really easy to keep giving when it doesn't affect you at all. And if you run short, you just raise taxes.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I had a discussion with my wife about this. She is a small business owner. Her employee wages vary from $10-$15. She has maybe 10 or so employees. No one is going to want to work for her at minimum wage, so if MW is $15, she'll have to up her lowest paid to $17 or $18. So assume everyone gets a $5 increase. That's $50/hr extra she has to pay; $2,000/week, and $104,000 annually. Her business would tank in NO TIME. Same goes for pretty much any other small business out there.
But at least she'll sleep with a warm fuzzy feeling in her heart knowing that the druggie down the street can now afford to buy twice as many drugs with their 20-hour-a-week minimum-wage burger-flipping job. Hooray for losers everywhere!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
The minimum wage increase isn't going to hurt Walmart and other giants. It's going to hurt small business.
The non-starters on this thread can't even wrap their brains around the fact that only 3% of businesses are publicly-traded corporations. Never mind that most don't understand the difference between public and private corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs and GPs.

Quote:
I had a discussion with my wife about this. She is a small business owner. Her employee wages vary from $10-$15. She has maybe 10 or so employees. No one is going to want to work for her at minimum wage, so if MW is $15, she'll have to up her lowest paid to $17 or $18.
Of course they'll work for $15/hour if minimum wage is $15/hour.

Revised data for California shows 17,840,194 employed against a labor force of 18,947,218 for January 2016, so I guess we'll see what happens.[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Is this business exporting to other countries? What is the demographic that buys her products and services?

In reality she could very well experience higher profits, not less.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
In reality she could very well experience higher profits, not less.
And you base that on what, other than just lib fairy tale fantasy?

Old 03-30-2016, 05:12 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Of course, but that isn't a bad thing. It's good to remember that the only way living standards can increase is via more productive and efficient methods.
rruff, living standards increase when a factory finds a new process which allows 10,000 employees at the widget plant to increase production from 50,000 widgets per day to 70,000 widgets per day, making the business more profitable and able to increase wages with some of that 40% increase in productivity.

Living standards do NOT increase when a factory buys $50 million dollars in machines and fires 9,000 employees, but still increases production to 70,000 widgets per day. You can say that productivity increased 1,400 percent, but you would be wrong. They may increase salaries on the remaining 1000 workers, but the surrounding area is devastated by the loss of 9,000 good jobs. Surely you must see this!

And no, there will not be an offsetting increase in employment to design, manufacture, and service the new equipment. If there was, it would make more economic sense to keep things the way they were in the beginning.

An increase in productivity by definition requires a process to provider a greater output without a greater input of either labor or materials per unit produced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics