Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 PM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

What would you guys think on what would happen to our economy?
Personally, more crime (obviously)

but what would happen to our job markets? What about extra people signing up for school and flooding majors?

opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Kind of a whimsical "what if" question, but I will bite...

First of all, if the US has 1B people the rest of the world probably has 20B. World population is now around 7B, so that is a huge increase. I would worry more about the global population than I would about the fraction of that that the US has.

We have already shown an inability to meet the resource demands of 7B people, at least not without significant environmental problems, so I would imagine things will be pretty grim. I am talking about energy needs, water, arable land, food, and housing. With global warming a potentially significant problem, there will likely be mass migrations of people out of areas that become inhabitable due to scorching temperatures or rising sea. Migrations are always destabilizing so we can expect some political chaos to go along with that. Current geopolitical tension over oil will be replaced with geopolitical tension over water which is already more expensive than oil in some places and unlike oil, is something we cannot live without.

In other words, I am not worried at all about the job situation when the US has 1B people. I am more worried whether humanity had outgrown this planet. People will not be worried about jobs, they will be worried about survival.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Kind of a whimsical "what if" question, but I will bite...

First of all, if the US has 1B people the rest of the world probably has 20B. World population is now around 7B, so that is a huge increase. I would worry more about the global population than I would about the fraction of that that the US has.

We have already shown an inability to meet the resource demands of 7B people, at least not without significant environmental problems, so I would imagine things will be pretty grim. I am talking about energy needs, water, arable land, food, and housing. With global warming a potentially significant problem, there will likely be mass migrations of people out of areas that become inhabitable due to scorching temperatures or rising sea. Migrations are always destabilizing so we can expect some political chaos to go along with that. Current geopolitical tension over oil will be replaced with geopolitical tension over water which is already more expensive than oil in some places and unlike oil, is something we cannot live without.

In other words, I am not worried at all about the job situation when the US has 1B people. I am more worried whether humanity had outgrown this planet. People will not be worried about jobs, they will be worried about survival.
indeed you do have a point. Actually read an article about can we truly sustain 7B people as of now? They estimated by 2025 things are going to get ugly. Makes me wonder how would we shop for food and/or water?
I mean will we enter walmart and see a bunch of empty shelves? What would even be the prices of food?

Sure seems like a long time from now and would it even happen in our lifetime? it is pretty scary to think about though. I mean its not like we can just go out and hunt our food anymore - so where would we get it from if the markets just cant keep up

I am actually starting to see some of it now...I enter walmart and some parts of the shelves are always empty...food is obviously getting more expensive because the amount of people buying. i go through the vegetable section and I see a lot of it being sold out. 1/2 the times I cant find green peppers or some other veggie

Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
It's not going to happen any time soon, so why think about it?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We have already shown an inability to meet the resource demands of 7B people, at least not without significant environmental problems, so I would imagine things will be pretty grim. .
It's not inability. It's lack of will:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY7f1t9y9a0

Old 03-29-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's not going to happen any time soon, so why think about it?
because I am curious about it. Whats wrong thinking about it? I know it wont happen in my lifetime and probably not yours. Next generation? Probably so.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:46 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Well my house will certainly be worth more, unless development catches up.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
well my house will certainly be worth more, unless development catches up.
:d

Old 03-29-2016, 06:08 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Without immigration, the United States would already be seeing the population contraction Northern Europe, Japan, and South Korea are seeing. The United States already has such a glut of unskilled and semi skilled labor that the immigration that has so far prevented population contraction will end. The US will grow to about 450 million people and then start contracting in the 2nd half of the 21st century.

The US is big enough that it can handle the 30% population growth. It will cause growing pains in parts of the country. Water is going to be a huge issue in the west. Epic traffic jams are pretty much going to force big investment in public transportation in sun belt cities. I don't see much changing. There will be continued wealth and income stratification from automation. We will have 100 million largely unemployable adults. That will have big political implications.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
What would you guys think on what would happen to our economy?
Personally, more crime (obviously)

but what would happen to our job markets? What about extra people signing up for school and flooding majors?

opinions?
If the us had 1 billion, how many would the world have? 20 billion?

We'd be SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics