Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If ownership of raw land is good enough, then we might have to stipulate how much is needed to qualify.
Own A Piece Of America - Unique Gifts and Personalized Gift Ideas
Chinese Buy American Dream by the Inch - NYTimes.com

Actually, I read that there were actually minimum property requirements for voting; you had to own more than "some" property to qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 12:22 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually, I read that there were actually minimum property requirements for voting; you had to own more than "some" property to qualify.
I would of course want to know how 'some' is defined to allow one to vote.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And, downhill from there.
A popular meme. But is it accurate? Is it really that women can vote and have more self-determination and growing wage parity with men that is the reason so many men have misogynist feelings or is it that a small wealth class has all but frozen all wage and wealth growth in what is still being called the Middle Class at 1970's levels? I don't know, I'm just wondering.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Nothing makes me angrier than men who belittle women voters and their contribution to the political process.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Which landlord does not charge rent that covers property taxes, utilties if included in the rent, insurance and maintaince.
As a landlord I do as well as interest etc. Sometimes you do not get all your expenses covered by the rent but in essence the renter still does have to pay the property tax.

And renters do use the legal system, pay for national defence, are affected by all parts of the economy. When my parents sold their house and moved into an apartment due to my father's health why should they lose the right to vote? Why should the vote of someone who owns a small house in a inexpensive area count as much as someone who owns a ten million dollar estate or someone who owns many apartment buildings?

Unless the goal is to keep young people , the poor and many seniors from being full citizens what would be the reason to take away the vote? Or is it just a matter of shifting the complex blame for the economy onto those who have the least affect on said economy? I have been a property owner since 1977 except for two years and both my wife and I worked those two years so why would we be not considered full citizens because we moved to an area for work that we knew we would not be in for very long?

If such an idea was to go ahead then sure have just property taxes cover all levels of govenment spending but do not tax rental property so tenants do not have to pay any taxes if they cannot vote. See how well that goes over with homeowners.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:14 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Why don't we have two branches of Congress - a House of Commons and a House of Taxpayers. Every adult citizen who is not a felon could vote for the House of Commons, which would be responsible for ordinary criminal and civil law, defense, foreign relations, and so forth. To vote for the House of Taxpayers you would have to pay some Federal income tax (not Social Security) or property tax. The House of Taxpayers would be responsible for all tax and appropriations bills.

Taxes and government spending would go *way* down.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Which landlord does not charge rent that covers property taxes, utilties if included in the rent, insurance and maintaince.
As a landlord I do as well as interest etc. Sometimes you do not get all your expenses covered by the rent but in essence the renter still does have to pay the property tax.

And renters do use the legal system, pay for national defence, are affected by all parts of the economy. When my parents sold their house and moved into an apartment due to my father's health why should they lose the right to vote? Why should the vote of someone who owns a small house in a inexpensive area count as much as someone who owns a ten million dollar estate or someone who owns many apartment buildings?

Unless the goal is to keep young people , the poor and many seniors from being full citizens what would be the reason to take away the vote? Or is it just a matter of shifting the complex blame for the economy onto those who have the least affect on said economy? I have been a property owner since 1977 except for two years and both my wife and I worked those two years so why would we be not considered full citizens because we moved to an area for work that we knew we would not be in for very long?

If such an idea was to go ahead then sure have just property taxes cover all levels of govenment spending but do not tax rental property so tenants do not have to pay any taxes if they cannot vote. See how well that goes over with homeowners.
People who live in Section 8 housing don't pay rent that covers the owners property taxes.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:14 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
People who live in Section 8 housing don't pay rent that covers the owners property taxes.
Since Section 8 housing is subsidized and not free housing, they do in fact pay taxes from their rents. Only people living in publicly-owned housing, which is a very small percentage of the poor, don't pay a share of their rent towards taxes.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:02 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Only white male adult property-owners have the right to vote.

Last religious prerequisite for voting is eliminated.

Property ownership and tax requirements eliminated by 1850. Almost all adult white males could vote.

Connecticut adopts the nation's first literacy test for voting. Massachusetts follows suit in 1857. The tests were implemented to discriminate against Irish-Catholic immigrants.

The 15th Amendment is passed. It gives former slaves the right to vote and protects the voting rights of adult male citizens of any race.

Womens suffrage.
18 year old vote vote.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Well....that is the process this Nation was founded upon.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics