Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 05:00 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for some reason many folks prefer to chase ghosts then have to learn something new
Not just many folks. Most of them. And that's why AI will make them obsolete. And there is no good reason to believe there is going to be any solution for them than to die of extreme poverty. If they survive on welfare, people will complain about the taxes needed to pay for that welfare, and it will be reduced and/or eliminated, because when the vast majority of the people are on welfare, it becomes a heavy burden on the few who aren't.

The only long term solution for people to survive, after AI makes them obsolete, is to have enough good investments to survive. What are the odds most people ever will?

The masses of poor people in 3rd world countries survive by working for very low pay. But that won't be the solution in the future because those very low pay jobs will be done by robots. The whole world, including the USA, will be 3rd world countries, where the divide between the rich and poor will be more extreme than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 05:07 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
to much assuming . the industrial revolution was supposed to have the same effect on workers and it really didn't .

Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
to much assuming . the industrial revolution was supposed to have the same effect on workers and it really didn't .
Mathjak please give up.

Be negative man!!!

You are cramping the "tone" here.

Please adapt

Old 04-02-2016, 08:28 AM

sorry , i work with whatever life hands me without complaining about it on forums . it is far more productive .

Old 04-02-2016, 08:44 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
sorry , i work with whatever life hands me without complaining about it on forums . it is far more productive .
You are on the wrong forum. This is the forum for gloom and doom, for agreeing with fellow unfortunates, and for finding excuses and conspiracy theories.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Somebody has to build, repair, maintain, and install all those robots.
A fraction compared to the number of jobs permanently eliminated by technology substitution.

There once were hundreds of thousands engaged in Payroll, retail and commercial banking, check clearing and auditing of those functions that paid a middle class wage with benefits. Payroll software, Direct Deposits, electronic check clearing, ATMs and electronic banking made the majority of those jobs nearly obsolete.

I cannot recal the last time I was inside a bank.

15% of US manufacturing jobs were permanently eliminated by technology substitution between 2000-2010. I suspect an equal number will be eliminated between 2010-2020- 30% over a 20 year period.

It's a global challenge.

Either we adapt or not.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-02-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
For obvious reasons, which are now disappearing.

The thing you seem to be missing is that computer "intelligence" is becoming so sophisticated that an increasing number of people will have no competitive advantage that will justify paying them a decent wage. The odds are very good that in few decades nearly everyone will be in this category. So we can either have massive wealth redistribution, or just marginalize and eventually eliminate the worthless humans.

This is the first time in history the oligarch "royalty" will have no need for the masses. Prior to the industrial revolution they needed our labor. During the industrial revolution, they actually need for the masses to get rich! Those days are over.

Last edited by rruff; 04-02-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 10:15 AM

nothing in life ever stays as is but i can tell you after 40 years of being in the factory automation business you either evolve with the business or you are out , same as any business will leave you behind . what we use and do today are vastly different then the relay logic and micro switches we used when my carrier started

you are forever learning and evolving unless you want to end up chasing ghosts of a job. as things grow more complex and technical those at the forefront make the dough .

you want to always position yourself ahead of the curve , and that takes effort .

Old 04-02-2016, 10:35 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
you want to always position yourself ahead of the curve , and that takes effort .
At the end of it, you are still out of a job and in the same boat as everyone else. Focusing solely on outrunning the other guy until the same fate hits you doesn't seem wise.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 AM

nope , the field is still wide open . i was never out of work more than a day in 40 years . in fact the field is starving for people .

one popular poster in these forums said these jobs i speak of don't exist . so i sent him a link to the company i retired from looking for so many slots still to be filled .

needless to say he is now a believer and sent in his own resume yesterday . if it is okay with him i will even tell you who but i would not disclose who publicly without checking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics