Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times

Advertisements

I'm not even reading the OP comments, or the comments after that. There is no one who can convince me that tariffs wouldn't help equalize the playing field in the world of international manufacturing and trade. Bull crap. The whole NAFTA changed the way things are built in the world, and our economy has become so financially oriented now, we are losing our ability to make THINGS.

I don't want to live in a place where all we do is sell each other insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course many have had stagnant incomes or worse these past few decades. But far from all. If you were a former upper Midwest manufacturing employee, and if you didn't find other work or move to a more vibrant area, you are in bad shape. But many sectors have thrived, despite global competition. Energies, services of innumerable kinds, pharma, medicine HC in general. About anything that cannot be easily off shored.

Global competition, advancing technologies, further mechanization have all bee hard on many manufacturing sectors.

Sure we can subsidize those manufacturing sectors that have the right money, connections, lobbies and votes. if we do it with tariffs that would be a focused tax on our consumers.

The idea that we can somehow reduce the value of our USD to some controllable figure is balderdash. Look at QE. Something like $4T of new money and the USD is stronger today. $4T of helo drops? Good luck trying to sell that!
That's funny. Have you tried importing medicine from Canada lately? There is no international competition in pharma or medicine. If it's not manufactured in the US you can't buy it here. Pharma doesn't have to deal with free trade. It doesn't exist in that industry. The "service sector" means toilet cleaning. They are low wage, menial jobs that nobody else wants to do. As for energies, I have a friend who was a geologist for Halliburton. She lost her job last year to the international oil glut. The oil companies, of course, are still collecting billions in corporate welfare. The whole energy sector lives and dies on government subsidies.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:36 PM

29,807 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I'm not even reading the OP comments, or the comments after that. There is no one who can convince me that tariffs wouldn't help equalize the playing field in the world of international manufacturing and trade. Bull crap. The whole NAFTA changed the way things are built in the world, and our economy has become so financially oriented now, we are losing our ability to make THINGS.

I don't want to live in a place where all we do is sell each other insurance.
So design/engineer your own products. This way, you can have control over how material is sourced and who performs the necessary labor. Personally, I don't see many Americans lining up to do factory labor. Americans seem to prefer those insurance peddling jobs. So who are you to dictate what type of professions they must pursue?

By the way, I never mentioned NAFTA, and have never favored it. It's time to admit, the damage is done. The more we violate the free market, the more it will end up hurting us.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:51 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's funny. Have you tried importing medicine from Canada lately? There is no international competition in pharma or medicine. If it's not manufactured in the US you can't buy it here. Pharma doesn't have to deal with free trade. It doesn't exist in that industry. The "service sector" means toilet cleaning. They are low wage, menial jobs that nobody else wants to do. As for energies, I have a friend who was a geologist for Halliburton. She lost her job last year to the international oil glut. The oil companies, of course, are still collecting billions in corporate welfare. The whole energy sector lives and dies on government subsidies.
Lots of medication is manufactured overseas, a lot in India now, and then shipped to us. And energy is kinda important, I doubt our society would look the same if the true cost of energy was entirely passed onto consumers.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So design/engineer your own products. This way, you can have control over how material is sourced and who performs the necessary labor. Personally, I don't see many Americans lining up to do factory labor. Americans seem to prefer those insurance peddling jobs. So who are you to dictate what type of professions they must pursue?

By the way, I never mentioned NAFTA, and have never favored it. It's time to admit, the damage is done. The more we violate the free market, the more it will end up hurting us.
The more we rely on the free market, the more globalization will occur.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Medicine meaning the HC sector in general. Huge and growing services sector, with so much content that cannot be off shored. Energies recently pooped out, but from the opposite side of sector growth, very unusual

Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
OP, your comments on free markets are hilarious and scary at the same time. Carry on with the race to the bottom.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:01 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:

Holy cow. You live in Detroit the only thing people are lining up for there is a welfare check or a Greyhound ticket.

You tout free markets. In a truly free market a chinese competitor would already have moved in next door and put you in one of the two aforementioned lines.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
There is no such thing as a Free Market. Big Business knows how to eliminate any risk associated with the FREE part of the market and enjoys the profits from the rigging. NAFTA was just another way of extracting more money from most of the people so the few that own the market can make ever more.

We desperately need countervailing tariffs to remove the price advantages due to labor, pollution or subsidy costs.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
No. This is a free country. I can purchase my steel from where ever I choose. Producers do not have to be coerced into fattening the coffers of a bunch of greedy, whinny, self serving CEO's than cannot compete worth a damn. Nor can I be forced to enrich the already outrageously rich, coddled and well protected investor/non producer class.

This tariff is a blatant violation of the free market, and motivates me to shop around even more for savings.

sorry mate the USA has not had free markets in a hundred years.

Perhaps the only reason you are noticing is because it has been shoved in your face. There are examples of government backed monopolies , cartels etc all around you. Just try buying a home, getting your haircut, getting cable.... none are free or open.

about time you figured that out.

Oh and the Chinese steel is subbed by china thus not free or open so why the hell should we allow them to export steel below cost just to corner the market and keep those massive coal burning filth furnaces spewing acid rain on our west coast.

Surely I should be free to breath clean air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics