Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

The U.S. placed a +266% tariff on Chinese imports of cold roll steel. This is because China "overproduces" things, making them cheaper on the global market.

I make things out of materials like cold roll steel. I then sell these things for a profit. This is how I make my living, pay for my food/shelter, save money to invest for retirement, pay taxes, etc.

How does a 266% tariff help me, or anyone like me? How does this help any workers, besides the very few still employed in steel mills around the country?

By and large, the only people this will protect are the people at the very top who depend on dividends and profits from corporations like US steel. Steel workers will continue to see employment opportunities vanish, as technology displaces them. We will all pay for this with exorbitantly high prices, making us less competitive and miserable. Our gubmint at work.

Can anyone explain how such a tariff will make America more competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Stop whining and go buy cheap local cold roll steel.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
No. This is a free country. I can purchase my steel from where ever I choose. Producers do not have to be coerced into fattening the coffers of a bunch of greedy, whinny, self serving CEO's than cannot compete worth a damn. Nor can I be forced to enrich the already outrageously rich, coddled and well protected investor/non producer class.

This tariff is a blatant violation of the free market, and motivates me to shop around even more for savings.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No. This is a free country. I can purchase my steel from where ever I choose. Producers do not have to be coerced into fattening the coffers of a bunch of greedy, whinny, self serving CEO's than cannot compete worth a damn. Nor can I be forced to enrich the already outrageously rich, coddled and well protected investor/non producer class.

This tariff is a blatant violation of the free market, and motivates me to shop around even more for savings.
Excuse me andywire but you sound awfully naive.

I am assuming you are a business owner.

So seriously you couldn't see this coming??

Trade wars are written on the wall.

China is producing like 50% to 60% of steel in the world.

So how can anybody compete with that

Can you compete with your Chinese counterparts??

Also steel production is a national security issue.

I'm glad government finally took a step

You should look for other options.

I'm sorry it'll hurt your business but hopefully you'll recover.

China is a big problem.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Excuse me andywire but you sound awfully naive.

I am assuming you are a business owner.

So seriously you couldn't see this coming??

Trade wars are written on the wall.

China is producing like 50% to 60% of steel in the world.

So how can anybody compete with that

Can you compete with your Chinese counterparts??

Also steel production is a national security issue.

I'm glad government finally took a step

You should look for other options.

I'm sorry it'll hurt your business but hopefully you'll recover.

China is a big problem.
Who created China and made them what they are today? U.S. trade policy, as written by gubmint and big biz. This is their problem to deal with. Make them deal with it directly. Don't let them throw this problem on the backs of small biz, the U.S. consumer, and ultimately, 95% of Americans/the "little people". America needs to be more competitive. Not less.

Trade wars are pointless, unnecessary, and only harm global markets in the long run. Everyone will pay more, and the rich will get richer while the gubmint collects a new tax. Demand will suffer however, and it could be just the ticket to another recession. Have fun paying more for everything you buy, while earning less and having less economic freedom.

U.S. steel production capacity is always needed. There are ways to protect that production capacity. Harming everyone else is not one of them. This will only serve short term objectives, at the expense of future potential growth and competitive advantage.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:29 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
If you want completely free markets, then you're going to have steel from the cheapest place possible, no matter whether we're competitive or not.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you want completely free markets, then you're going to have steel from the cheapest place possible, no matter whether we're competitive or not.
Incorrect. What if my local market experiences a shortage? In such a case, the cost and source of the commodity/good becomes less a concern.

If demand wasn't in the toilet, cheap steel would be easily absorbed into the market, and much of it would be sold and resold for a profit.

The fake recovery, the violation of free markets and the fragile state of the global economy are the problems. Not the "free market".

Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's "cold rolled" steel. Not cold roll. I should have corrected my original post.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 AM

I think you guys are putting your faith in wrong places.

Free trade has never been "free".

But i agree, we created China.

I have no rejection to it.

I always said this.

It was a stupid idea.

NAFTA, WTO, PNTR with China and Korean free trade...etc.

But i still recommend you find other ways and means.

Cause this will continue for a while.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:17 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Unfortunately there is little 'free' trade as agreements made by governments are heavily influenced by special interests on all sides. So imbalances become obvious and then in the name of 'fair' trade more agreements are made.

Although there will be issues maybe the best answer is true free trade where no restrictions on trade are imposed anywhere. But as we all know bureaucrats spend more time taking care of themselves, supporters, and friends than all citizens so don't expect real reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics