Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 04:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In LA and SF it will be here sooner . LA will be 2020
Same thing, college grads are not going to be paid the prevailing minimum wage, that's just silly
Quote:
Furniture , appliances and clothing aren't worth much used . Might not be worth moving those . They could be sold and that money could be used for moving . Obviously it's not going to be easy but it seems worth the sacrifice if you can get out of crazy high cost area . Also a truck rental etc could be put on a credit card .
You don't know much about being poor, that's for sure. How do you replace the furniture and stuff after you get rid of it because it's 'not worth much used' Not sure if you are aware of this, but most poor people don't have credit cards, or if they do it would not have a sufficient balance to pay moving expenses plus the deposit on a new apartment. And what makes you think they could land a job as soon as they moved, they could be out of work for weeks, did that occur to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
There are people giving away furniture on Craigslist all the time , also appliances

I guess you could always come up with excuses though

Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Moving to low cost places is not all it is built up to be sure it costs less but wages tend to be less to I know this because I live in one of these areas. If all poor people move to areas that have low cost of living there will not be enough jobs for all of them and the expensive places they moved from will not have enough people to work those jobs. Automation is happening no matter what the min wage is because robots cost less then paying people and automation is gonna take more then just low wage jobs it will also take higher paying jobs.

There are other factors in play too. Some folks have stayed because of family. If you're raising your own, having parents to look after them for free is $$ saved there. If your children are in the middle of an academic year, it can be detrimental to leave during so. If one person in the family or of a couple is working, moving without a job lined up can mean 2 people are now jobless in a new town.

Quote:
Also a truck rental etc could be put on a credit card .
If you put something on a credit card and can't pay it back soon, the interest alone will kill you.

Quote:
There are people giving away furniture on Craigslist all the time , also appliances

I guess you could always come up with excuses though
In large cities... yes. Suburban areas... yes. But you'd need to find folks who are willing to give away stuff in low cost areas. The burden of proof should be on you to point out Craigslist ads that are giving away furniture in an area with sufficient jobs, but low enough cost of living. We'll pretend the furniture that's being offered for free is worth it. I've heard of "horror stories" about people trying to pawn off stuff on Craigslist that really should've been trash.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You don't know much about being poor, that's for sure. How do you replace the furniture and stuff after you get rid of it because it's 'not worth much used'
When I move I sell furniture and appliances, and buy used ones when I find a new place to live. It isn't that tricky.

A poor person can still save money. I'll be as frugal as I need to be to live beneath my means, and I've lived on as little as $3k/yr. No subsidies, BTW.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
When I move I sell furniture and appliances, and buy used ones when I find a new place to live. It isn't that tricky.

A poor person can still save money. I'll be as frugal as I need to be to live beneath my means, and I've lived on as little as $3k/yr. No subsidies, BTW.
Yeah I just don't buy this " too poor to move" argument . Poor people move all the time , just like middle class and rich people move .

Old 05-03-2016, 01:20 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
No, poor people most certainly do not move as often. See the following site for some basic entry level ideas on why that is true in most cases vs the higher earners not residing in economically disadvantaged areas.

https://thewholesky.wordpress.com/20...where-cheaper/

Quote:
Yeah I just don't buy this " too poor to move" argument . Poor people move all the time , just like middle class and rich people move .

Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I know lots of people who are working for MW or at best slightly above. They fit the national pattern as they are young, white, and working part time. This includes a lot of kids who are trying to earn money while in school. Some work fast food, some are in "internships", some do work-study as part of college assistance.
When I was 14, I made the minimum wage as well. At the time it was $4.25 an hour. I was happy to have an opportunity to have a job, it paid better than babysitting had and the hours were more stable and was way easier than farm work had been. It let me get a factory job where the work was quite hard, but who in their right mind was going to pass up $6.45 an hour?

I left my little town and moved to Chicago for University. There was an "internship/job" advertised at a firm that paid $8.00 an hour. I thought for sure my classmates would grab it, but were apparently turned off by the, must have the ability to lift 40 lbs. It would be my first office job. A fiery lady interviewed me, looked at my resume, that was certainly uncharacteristic, and said....

"You really worked in a factory?"

"Yes, I made truck bumpers".

"I guess you'll show up every day. You will show up every day, right?"

"Of course, how else would I get paid?"

She looked at the stupid naive fool in front of her and must have needed to decide if I was that naive or purposefully obtuse.... and said, in a sharp staccato voice,

"Fine, but you remember one thing, my name is x Mendez, and I'm a hot blooded Latina that doesn't take any crap from anyone. You have any questions?

"Thank you. That sounds great. One question, what's a Latina?"

"Aye Dios Mio! I will see you tomorrow after your class. Go now before I change my mind!"

Confused, I apologized and left in a hurry.

There were three of us that started, by the end of the first month only I was left. x was concerned because we were entering busy season without the requisite staff. I said I'd take their hours as I needed to pay for school. By the time I left that place my senior year, I was up to $14.55 an hour, and rather proud of myself. When my first busy season hit, it wasn't a problem. I'd already adapted.

Too be sure, I'm not sure when I slept in college. Going back through the social security records and redetermining the number of hours I was putting in about 1600-1700 a year, graduated in 4 with 2 majors and minor while still partying as much as I could. There's a good case for saying that was too much, but that's the beauty of being young and dumb. It didn't kill me, maybe lowered my GPA a bit, but there's certainly no evidence that would show me I would have used my idle hands wisely.

I think those first jobs were motivation, go muck a barn or lift searing brackets fresh out of the furnace. Realize you're getting paid nothing for it. Realize there's a better way....

Anyway, I'm all for raising the minimum wage, but I do hope it doesn't close off those avenues for people. By making MW then, I don't make anywhere near it now.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:45 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I think those first jobs were motivation, go muck a barn or lift searing brackets fresh out of the furnace. Realize you're getting paid nothing for it. Realize there's a better way....
Those jobs are temporary for people who have better options. A lot of people don't. People who aren't very smart, good looking, or have winning personalities. Normal people.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
No, poor people most certainly do not move as often. See the following site for some basic entry level ideas on why that is true in most cases vs the higher earners not residing in economically disadvantaged areas.

https://thewholesky.wordpress.com/20...where-cheaper/
Huh... Alright! I got some of the reasons in my previous post!

Old 05-03-2016, 11:08 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Those jobs are temporary for people who have better options. A lot of people don't. People who aren't very smart, good looking, or have winning personalities. Normal people.
You know, you're right. I guess my best blessing was being too stupid to realize how dumb I was. Had I known the odds, I'd have given up to despair long before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics