Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

......... In many small towns across the US, there are no jobs except at fast food joints or convenience stores.

Moreover, just because somebody has few or limited skills does not mean that he or she should be exploited or that the US or state governments should allow that exploitation. ...........
It is absolutely true that in some rural communities....or even small/mid sized cities.....there are poor job opportunities. There is absolutely nothing new about this. Getting an education and/or moving to areas with good jobs are sacrifices many of us make to improve our lives. I don't see the reason that those of us you have made the effort should help support those who don't.

I also do not understand this notion that low skilled workers are being exploited. Most of us are paid based on the demand for our skills and abilities. The low skilled workers are paid more due to minimum wage requirements. I fail to see how doubling that pay helps society. All we do is further encourage those who are not willing to work hard. I would rather see the money go to help support those who are interested in more education and training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:47 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It is absolutely true that in some rural communities....or even small/mid sized cities.....there are poor job opportunities. There is absolutely nothing new about this. Getting an education and/or moving to areas with good jobs are sacrifices many of us make to improve our lives. I don't see the reason that those of us you have made the effort should help support those who don't.

I also do not understand this notion that low skilled workers are being exploited. Most of us are paid based on the demand for our skills and abilities. The low skilled workers are paid more due to minimum wage requirements. I fail to see how doubling that pay helps society. All we do is further encourage those who are not willing to work hard. I would rather see the money go to help support those who are interested in more education and training.
Sure but if a bunch of people get an education there are not enough high paying jobs for everyone and if a bunch of people move to area with good jobs there will not be jobs for all of them. When companies are making millions even billions of dollars and the worker is not seeing increases that is exploitation. No people are based on anything the employer wants to pay that is at or above min wage. Saying education and training is the solution shows you do not know how the economy works.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:25 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
I fail to see how doubling that pay helps society. All we do is further encourage those who are not willing to work hard. I would rather see the money go to help support those who are interested in more education and training.
Whoa... doubling it?! That's crazy talk. No way is there going to be a $15/hr Federal MW anytime soon.

And education and training are not a solution for a large % of the population who simply don't have the talent to compete for the jobs that are in demand. No amount of schooling will fix it.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Sure but if a bunch of people get an education there are not enough high paying jobs for everyone and if a bunch of people move to area with good jobs there will not be jobs for all of them. When companies are making millions even billions of dollars and the worker is not seeing increases that is exploitation. No people are based on anything the employer wants to pay that is at or above min wage. Saying education and training is the solution shows you do not know how the economy works.
I can list a whole bunch of well paying jobs that are going to be in very high demand over the next several decades. Those on this forum who love to whine and moan could do better if they spent even a little time looking forward to the good jobs and careers that are opening. I know their are and will be a lot of jobs available for those with the right skills. Contrary to some beliefs many of those jobs do not require some sort of special intellect or an IQ that is off the charts. I do believe it is true that many of the good jobs in the future will require a college education. We have moved a long way in that direction already.

Companies pay salaries based largely on supply and demand. Companies do not just arbitrarily decide to pay their employees more or less based on profits although some do have incentive programs. I fail to see how someone is exploited when they are offered a job. If the job is underpaid, then don't take it. If the prospective employee cannot find something better, then they are clearly not being underpaid or exploited.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
When companies are making millions even billions of dollars and the worker is not seeing increases that is exploitation.
This is right up there with your claim that owners of a company not giving raises when they have profits is stealing. Apparently you don't understand the definition of either verb steal or exploit.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I can list a whole bunch of well paying jobs that are going to be in very high demand over the next several decades. Those on this forum who love to whine and moan could do better if they spent even a little time looking forward to the good jobs and careers that are opening. I know their are and will be a lot of jobs available for those with the right skills. Contrary to some beliefs many of those jobs do not require some sort of special intellect or an IQ that is off the charts. I do believe it is true that many of the good jobs in the future will require a college education. We have moved a long way in that direction already.

Companies pay salaries based largely on supply and demand. Companies do not just arbitrarily decide to pay their employees more or less based on profits although some do have incentive programs. I fail to see how someone is exploited when they are offered a job. If the job is underpaid, then don't take it. If the prospective employee cannot find something better, then they are clearly not being underpaid or exploited.
Really with automation I think there is gonna be a lot less jobs available. Even if what you say is true there is gonna be more jobs but not enough for everyone to move up to and there should not be because these companies with entry level jobs still need people to work there. No companies pay based on what they want over min wage show me a list or chart of what the supply and demand for jobs are there is none. If you can not find a better job that does not mean you are not being underpaid it means that there are just not better jobs out there. You are really ignorant on how the business and economy works.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is right up there with your claim that owners of a company not giving raises when they have profits is stealing. Apparently you don't understand the definition of either verb steal or exploit.
How is a employer making more and more profit and giving it to themselves but not the employees who helped them make that money not stealing? You falsely assume that most of the money a company makes is
theirs. Tell people working for pennies in other countries that them making more is stealing.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
How is a employer making more and more profit and giving it to themselves but not the employees who helped them make that money not stealing? You falsely assume that most of the money a company makes is
theirs. Tell people working for pennies in other countries that them making more is stealing.
What a strange idea. All the money that a company makes belongs to them and they are required to pay taxes on that money. The money that is paid to employees is largely based on supply and demand of labor. If companies attempt to underpay then they will have difficulty hiring and retaining good employees. Some do that anyway. Any one who does not want to work for what they pay should go elsewhere.

Companies don't just make money and pass it out to the employees. Companies have stockholders who bought stock in order to make money on dividends and the growth in stock value. There are only a few companies that are employee owned. Usually they got that way because they were going to go out of business unless the employees supported the company.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
.... If you can not find a better job that does not mean you are not being underpaid it means that there are just not better jobs out there. ....
Actually that is exactly the point. If you cannot find a better job that means the knowledge and skills you have are not in demand...at least where you live. You can work to get the skills that are in demand and you can move to where there are jobs.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:22 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Quote:
Actually that is exactly the point. If you cannot find a better job that means the knowledge and skills you have are not in demand...at least where you live. You can work to get the skills that are in demand and you can move to where there are jobs.
It's like mainframe jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics