Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So... the Social Security System can be made solvent once again by either:
An immediate and permanent increase for the payroll tax from 12.4% to 16.5% (which is an increase of about 33%) 25 56.82%
An immediate and permanent cut to monthly checks for all current and future recipients by about 23.4% 10 22.73%
Just put our heads in the sand 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Short answer is because we Americans pay taxes on most *all* income.

Long answer is that the taxation of SS benefits acts as sort of a means test; that is those who receive large/max amounts per month *and* have significant other income in some instances will see their benefits taxed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think it is precisely a means test.
It is a means test.

If your income exceeds a certain amount, then you pay taxes on your Social Security benefits.

The taxes paid do not go to the General Fund, rather they go straight back to SSA where they are paid out as benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:53 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The taxes paid do not go to the General Fund, rather they go straight back to SSA where they are paid out as benefits.
I never heard that. Do you have any specific references to it? I haven't yet taken SS, but so far I send in only one check to the Treasury, which in essence is the general fund.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:53 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I never heard that. Do you have any specific references to it? I haven't yet taken SS, but so far I send in only one check to the Treasury, which in essence is the general fund.

Obviously you don't cut a check to SS or Medicare, but the funds paid to the Treasury Department for FICA taxes are sent to the various trust funds:
Where Your Medicare and Social Security Taxes Go

Payroll Taxes: Where They Actually Go | Investopedia

Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Obviously you don't cut a check to SS or Medicare, but the funds paid to the Treasury Department for FICA taxes are sent to the various trust funds:
Where Your Medicare and Social Security Taxes Go

Payroll Taxes: Where They Actually Go | Investopedia
I hear you, but in function it is not so simple. Because of co-mingling of funds with the Treasury and Treasury debt, so in essence associated with the general fund.

"In other words, the surplus money collected by Social Security helps pay for the rest of the government."

https://www.nasi.org/learn/socialsec...where-taxes-go

Old 05-04-2016, 07:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Which should we do?
None of the above.

instead we
a) Remove the cap on wage income, to expose all wages to SS taxes
b) Expose cap gains and dividends to the SS tax

These will increase both the inflows and outflows to the SS system, but the end result is more net revenue, because high-earners are net contributors to the system.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but they also get out more in benefits .
Regardless of the politics of "what Social Security is supposed to be about," the reality is that SS is redistributive.

High earners contribute more to the system than they take out.

Low earners contribute less to the system than they take out.

So if you want to shore up the SS system, the answer is to expose higher-income individual's incomes to the FICA tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics