Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times

Advertisements

Don't even think about it folks

Quote:
It was not enough, and as the FT reports today, what until now was merely a terrible start to the year has turned absolutely brutal for Odey's European fund, which is now down nearly a third, or 31%, in the first four months of the year, wiping out almost half a decade of trading profits in his flagship hedge fund in less than four months. His more popular EOC MAC Macro Fund did not do much better, and plunged a whopping 24.4% in the month, one of its worst monthly performances in history, pushing the YTD total to -26.8% which is shaping up to be the worst year for Odey since its inception year of 1994.

A Terrible Start To 2016 Turns Absolutely Brutal For Odey Who Refuses To Stop "Fighting The Fed" | Zero Hedge

I think shorters are totally crazy!!

There are literally hired guns paid to kill shorters.

And plunge protection team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Betting against the FED's printing press is a loosing proposition. But the article is poignant, it talks of the falling margins the banks are facing from QE. You want inflation and higher interest rates? Up the minimum wage far enough to push prices. The banks need something to loan against. New wages are what we can get. With over capacity you get over production. With over production you get falling prices, and that kills the banks.

We need inflation. Lots of it. Target 10% or 20% annual inflation. With that we can have very high interest rates and restore profitability to the banks.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Betting against the FED's printing press is a loosing proposition. But the article is poignant, it talks of the falling margins the banks are facing from QE. You want inflation and higher interest rates? Up the minimum wage far enough to push prices. The banks need something to loan against. New wages are what we can get. With over capacity you get over production. With over production you get falling prices, and that kills the banks.

We need inflation. Lots of it. Target 10% or 20% annual inflation. With that we can have very high interest rates and restore profitability to the banks.
They are taking care of that as well but not with MW.

They decided to prop up commodities to create inflation.

No wonder commodities are in a bull market.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:46 PM

167 posts, read 164,988 times
meh, perma-longs are right until they are wrong. And when they are wrong, it gets ugly...FAST.

Personally, I dont play the market, I invest in sound funds/stocks and diversify, but the way the fed is printing money and keeping interest rates this low artificially is UNPRECEDENTED. Do you think it will last forever? The same people saying "dont fight the fed. I've been right for 6 years!!" were the same ones claiming real estate never "went down", except when it did they lost their a&& and then some.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
meh, perma-longs are right until they are wrong. And when they are wrong, it gets ugly...FAST.

Personally, I dont play the market, I invest in sound funds/stocks and diversify, but the way the fed is printing money and keeping interest rates this low artificially is UNPRECEDENTED. Do you think it will last forever? The same people saying "dont fight the fed. I've been right for 6 years!!" were the same ones claiming real estate never "went down", except when it did they lost their a&& and then some.
I think low rates will continue for a long time.

Probably for another decade

Old 04-22-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I think low rates will continue for a long time.

Probably for another decade
What will you do when low rates arent able to prop-up bad economies anymore?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Check Bernanke's blog.

Ben Bernanke's Blog | Brookings Institution

Basically negative rates, targeted longer-term rates and helicopter money.

This guy is a genius!

I'm a huge fan of his blog

Old 04-22-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Check Bernanke's blog.

Ben Bernanke's Blog | Brookings Institution

Basically negative rates, targeted longer-term rates and helicopter money.

This guy is a genius!

I'm a huge fan of his blog
Guys like you with posts like this ensure me that it is just like last time and If im patient will make a killing picking up the pieces.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:06 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Quote:
Negative interest rates.

Or, basically, a complete economic meltdown.

Our economy has been slowly twirling around the porcelain throne for quite some time. Negative rates will cause Nemo to finally make his way down to the sewer system.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:53 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Japan is upping their minimum wage % each year. Up our to $15hr and then a % each year after and that would get us growth.

Also getting US minimum wage to apply to a labor performed for the US market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics