Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 07:45 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times

Advertisements

I was one of the gen who was expected to move out, just because, and I always regret it. My Mom begged me to stay a while longer and didnt because I bought into the whole go-out-and-be-something mantra, and now that my Mom is gone, I regret not spending more time with her. That put it in perspective for me. There are more important things in life than conforming to bizarre social norms.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
While it is an option, a lot of folks value their privacy and wouldn't want to do the roommate situation for any longer than absolutely necessary. I'm an only child and grew up in a large house in a fairly small town. I value space and privacy. Living in the congested suburbs is too much for me sometimes - I certainly don't want to come home to anyone I'm not romantically involved with.

I also believe there is value in this, especially if the people involved can sort of divide the home so they have more separate living arrangements.
The privacy issue can arise with parents as well...

Old 04-29-2016, 07:52 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I wholeheartedly applaud this mindset on all accounts, and wish for Westerners (Americans or Europeans) to adopt it. The idea behind such multi-generational group-living is partially about saving money through division of labor and economy of scale, and partially about using extended-family as a built-in social network. It's not because Junior is immature and can't do laundry without mom's help.

Every time that young-adults move out into their own apartments, every time when the elderly have to move into assisted-living, every time when childless singles nevertheless have to form a discrete household of their own, is by some measure wasteful economic activity – activity where of course there is consumption and creation of jobs – but presumably activity that's less productive than the alternative.
I very much agree with this.

I think the Millennial generation may be one that breaks from this.

It's true that older Millennials are now seeking to move out to their own homes, but I'm not sure how much of that is in conformance to the Boomer economic framework they have to operate in today (being told by society that they are supposed to move out) and how much is of their own generational desires.

We may see Millennials become parents who reject the Boomer framework and heartily encourage their own children to continue to live with them.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
While it is an option, a lot of folks value their privacy and wouldn't want to do the roommate situation for any longer than absolutely necessary. I'm an only child and grew up in a large house in a fairly small town. I value space and privacy. Living in the congested suburbs is too much for me sometimes - I certainly don't want to come home to anyone I'm not romantically involved with.

I also believe there is value in this, especially if the people involved can sort of divide the home so they have more separate living arrangements.

Completely agree. I don't see multiple roommates being an option long term for most people. But, for the young person moving to an expensive city it makes good financial sense. Especially if the city they're moving to affords the best job opportunities. And most young folks want to enjoy the vibrancy the city, the walkability that removes the need for a car and the many diversions living in a large city offers. These things may become less important to them as they marry and perhaps have kids, but a big city is FUN for the young and unattached.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
but a big city is FUN for the young and unattached.
Somehow I don't see this, if they can't even afford to live on their own, they plan to spend what extra money they have going out all the time? Want to go somewhere, or on a date? It's $100-200+. Think they can afford that if they have problems paying rent? I give myself $1k a month for fun money and I'm not even in an expensive city.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The privacy issue can arise with parents as well...
It stops bugging you after awhile. Besides why pay to have no privacy when you can have no privacy for free?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
It stops bugging you after awhile. Besides why pay to have no privacy when you can have no privacy for free?
Because as I explained before, it isn't really free, it's being a leech. If you care about your parents you don't want to sabotage their retirement while limiting your job options to commuting distance of your parents' home, which would have destroyed me long ago had I done it. I'm 29.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:25 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Because as I explained before, it isn't really free, it's being a leech. If you care about your parents you don't want to sabotage their retirement while limiting your job options to commuting distance of your parents' home, which would have destroyed me long ago had I done it. I'm 29.
My daughter--29--only moved out a couple of months ago. Too early IMO for her best economic health. It made zero difference to our retirement planning whether she continued living with us or not...we're not going to retire for another few years anyway.

And when we retire, I'm still going to want my garage workshop, my craftroom, and my home theater...so we're not moving until we're too old to maintain our house. If my daughter were still living with us and helping with expenses, that would only enhance our own economic situation.

And when we do get very old, her continuing to live in our house may enable us to live in it that much longer.

Now, clearly, it's a different situation if the child moves out to enhance his own employment chances, but that's not what's being discussed in this thread.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 04-29-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Somehow I don't see this, if they can't even afford to live on their own, they plan to spend what extra money they have going out all the time? Want to go somewhere, or on a date? It's $100-200+. Think they can afford that if they have problems paying rent? I give myself $1k a month for fun money and I'm not even in an expensive city.

Why do you assume people who live with roommates are somehow living on the edge of poverty? If you spend $800 a month to live alone in a low COL area or $800 to live with roommates in a high COL area, you're still spending $800. With the higher salaries in places like Boston and NYC and the public transportation that removes the need and expense of a car, many young people living in those places are doing quite well. My daughter, while she was living with 3 roommates, had the extra money to pay out of pocket for her masters, put 15% of her income into her 401K and fly off to more birthday/wedding celebrations than I can count.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 AM

102,206 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Off the grid?

(singing)
I want my 110v AC...
AC isn't needed in much of the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics