Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:37 PM

9,634 posts, read 6,058,445 times

Advertisements

Most of those text messages could have easily been faked. Only one had s date, none had anything further linking them to anyone.

Childish tit for tat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 AM

12,021 posts, read 11,664,660 times
They often reprint research from Goldman Sachs and Bank of America/Merrill Lynch which is targeted at retail investors and history has shown that one should do the opposite of these firms most of the time (maybe all of the time for Goldman Sachs' research).

BofA Says It's Time To Sell WTI Crude With A Price Target As Low As $35; Here's Why | Zero Hedge

Old 05-10-2016, 07:39 AM

12,021 posts, read 11,664,660 times
Bloomberg outdoing Zerohedge with colorful headline:

Bank of America Strategist Warns of Imminent 'Vortex of Negative Headlines' to Send U.S. Stocks Plummeting

Bank of America Strategist Warns of Imminent 'Vortex of Negative Headlines' to Send U.S. Stocks Plummeting - Bloomberg

Old 05-10-2016, 12:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,150,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Yes, that is true, but I don't see that as a problem.

The great thing about ZeroHedge is that they tell the stories that the mainstream media does not dare to tell. Mainstream media does not want to offend politicans, or powerful special interests, Zerohedge doesn't care.

To give an example, after the deal with Turkey mainstream media applauded the deal, or said it is morally wrong. ZeroHedge said this
Turkey Blackmails Europe on Visa-Free Travel
Europe Makes "Deal With The Devil"
Erdogan "Prince Of Europe" Rejects EU Demands To Reform Terrorist Law
They are a news aggregate, there are plenty of sites like that. It's silly to think the mainstream media doesn't want to offend anyone.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:01 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,103,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
They are a news aggregate, there are plenty of sites like that. It's silly to think the mainstream media doesn't want to offend anyone.
I would prefer if you gave some names.

Why is it silly? Mainstream media is dependent on support from politicans to survive and they tend to be friends.

In the US this means mainstream media depends on Republican or Democrat politicans. In Europe it is quite common that they all belong to the same network.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Names of what? Mainstream media websites?

Quote:
Why is it silly? Mainstream media is dependent on support from politicans to survive and they tend to be friends.

In the US this means mainstream media depends on Republican or Democrat politicans. In Europe it is quite common that they all belong to the same network.
They are dependent on revenue like Zero Hedge. Zero hedge is a news aggregate that takes news, make the headlines sound more appealing to their audience and profit. How is that different than mainstream news? You simply are choosing the news sites that correspond to your political leanings.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Names of what? Mainstream media websites?
No, mainstream media who dare to insult politicians from both sides.

For instance give me some mainstream media who has criticized EU/IMF laughable GDP predictions, and who predicted that the asylum quotas would fail.

Quote:
They are dependent on revenue like Zero Hedge. Zero hedge is a news aggregate that takes news, make the headlines sound more appealing to their audience and profit. How is that different than mainstream news? You simply are choosing the news sites that correspond to your political leanings.
They all have their purpose, I listen to both Zerohedge and mainstream media. Zerohedge is not my political leaning, and I often disagree with them.

I like to read Zerohedge when mainstream media is afraid to criticize politicians, because they are in bed with them.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
No, mainstream media who dare to insult politicians from both sides.

For instance give me some mainstream media who has criticized EU/IMF laughable GDP predictions, and who predicted that the asylum quotas would fail.
Why is that your criteria?

It sounds like you main beef is that mainstream news isn't as partisan to your political leanings.

Quote:
They all have their purpose, I listen to both Zerohedge and mainstream media. Zerohedge is not my political leaning, and I often disagree with them.

I like to read Zerohedge when mainstream media is afraid to criticize politicians, because they are in bed with them.
Sounds like you enjoy people agreeing with you. I prefer to read news from all sides.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,507,068 times
Quote:

The mainstream media is dependent on advertisers, not politicians. FOX News is massively profitable because advertisers know it attracts eyeballs of old people with disposable income. FOX News doesn't care what any politician thinks. They care that their programming riles up old people who aren't very bright. It's a great place to sell Buicks, laxatives, erectile dysfunction drugs, and blood pressure, cholesterol, and anti-aging snake oil.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Why is that your criteria?

It sounds like you main beef is that mainstream news isn't as partisan to your political leanings.

Sounds like you enjoy people agreeing with you. I prefer to read news from all sides.
It is just an example of a case where mainstream media stayed silent. You said there were plenty of examples, I would like to get a list, so that you can prove your point and I get more media to read.

I do appreciate different views, but only if they take other views into account. Most media doesn't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The mainstream media is dependent on advertisers, not politicians. FOX News is massively profitable because advertisers know it attracts eyeballs of old people with disposable income. FOX News doesn't care what any politician thinks. They care that their programming riles up old people who aren't very bright. It's a great place to sell Buicks, laxatives, erectile dysfunction drugs, and blood pressure, cholesterol, and anti-aging snake oil.
Fox news certainly care about republican politicans.

It is true they get revenue from advertisers, but your relationship with politicans can affect how many are willing to advertise for you.

The same companies also lobby politicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics