Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: .

There are legit concerns actually.

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

U6 unemployment in more than 20 states is still in double digits. That is not supposed to happen in a healthy economy. And this is the reason wage growth just isn't reaching past highs even after 7 years of recovery.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 08-10-2016 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: quoted post deleted

Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Data are your friends

"In the week ending August 6, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 266,000, a decrease of 1,000 from the previous week's revised level."

Old 08-11-2016, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
A Tight U.S. Job Market is Putting Slack Employers at Risk - Bloomberg

Quit rate is back to levels in 2007 also.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:54 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Job openings mean nothing. I could create a fake business and post openings for 10 million jobs requiring 20 years experience and PHDs. The job openings that exist, if they are real, are not tailored to our economy. The job opening survey is one of the most worthless pieces that the BLS releases each month.
I'm certainly plenty of people are posting fake job openings to juice the numbers

Old 08-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm certainly plenty of people are posting fake job openings to juice the numbers
Fake or completely unable-to-be-filled job openings are a massive chunk of it. We all know today that jobs for people with less than 5 years of experience have all but vanished and companies mostly post openings for positions that they will never find a qualified candidate for. This is why that data piece from the BLS means nothing. Any one of us can post a job opening. Doesn't mean crap about the quality of our economy.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Fake or completely unable-to-be-filled job openings are a massive chunk of it. We all know today that jobs for people with less than 5 years of experience have all but vanished and companies mostly post openings for positions that they will never find a qualified candidate for. This is why that data piece from the BLS means nothing. Any one of us can post a job opening. Doesn't mean crap about the quality of our economy.
I'd be curious if you can quantify and source any of these claims, because it sure sounds like someone pulling facts out of thin air. For example:

- what percentage of job openings are fake?
- what percentage of job opening cannot be filled?
- what percentage of job openings require more than five years experience?
- what percentage of job openings that companies post do they never find a qualified candidate for?

Surely have you know the answer to all of the above questions since you so easily claim such absolutes like "massive chunk" and assure us that "we all know" these things. I for one didn't know any of what you're saying and am quite skeptical. If you're basing all this on anecdotal personal experience I'd share that my experience hasn't been the same. The companies I work for eventually found qualifies candidates, regularly hired people with less than five years experience.

Further I'd be curious what nefarious motives are behind companies taking the time and money to post fake job openings. Companies I work for didn't do it, what would be the point?

Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
The problem is that the BLS maintains a list of business establishments it surveys. Just creating a business of any kind, fake or real, is not going to show up on the JOLTS survey.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
More and more of these sales job unfortunately are commission only so that doesn't qualify as a real job to me or they pay you a draw for 1 month and then commission only.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'd be curious if you can quantify and source any of these claims, because it sure sounds like someone pulling facts out of thin air. For example:

- what percentage of job openings are fake?
- what percentage of job opening cannot be filled?
- what percentage of job openings require more than five years experience?
- what percentage of job openings that companies post do they never find a qualified candidate for?

Surely have you know the answer to all of the above questions since you so easily claim such absolutes like "massive chunk" and assure us that "we all know" these things. I for one didn't know any of what you're saying and am quite skeptical. If you're basing all this on anecdotal personal experience I'd share that my experience hasn't been the same. The companies I work for eventually found qualifies candidates, regularly hired people with less than five years experience.

Further I'd be curious what nefarious motives are behind companies taking the time and money to post fake job openings. Companies I work for didn't do it, what would be the point?
A massive number of the job openings being posted are fake, commission only, or requiring such extravagant experience that they will never get filled. Our far too high U6 unemployment rate is testimony to that the jobs being posted are not tailored to the needs of our economy, therefor this BLS data is worthless and proves nothing about the state of our economy.

How much experience did your company hire with? Three? My company won't touch a candidate without at least three years of relevant experience. And for jobs that pay $15.00 an hour and can be learned in a month. Its downright funny because I have seen teams be short staffed for over a year now and all management does is whine that no one qualified is applying when we have had plenty of people more than capable of doing these jobs applying.

People talk about the job openings survey as if it entails anything. It means crap. Jobs posted does not mean jobs filled.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
More and more of these sales job unfortunately are commission only so that doesn't qualify as a real job to me or they pay you a draw for 1 month and then commission only.
When I graduated college back in 2011 those commission only sales jobs were the only thing hiring. I got tricked into interviews with those scammers at least twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics