Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That is not true of any of the fields I worked in. Education was the starting point. OJT and experience only worked within narrow limits. Employers cannot make up for those who did not learn basic skills in school.

It sounds like your employer is just plain not serious about filling positions. I worked for a company that had numerous job classifications. For the most difficult to fill, there were standing orders to hire on the spot anyone with suitable qualifications. People were hired even if there was no immediate need or official openings. Even hiring an educated and experienced employee, we used to figure on negative productivity for the first 3 months. For the 3-6 month period the training efforts and the employee productivity were about even.

I worked in a professional field requiring college degrees. The same sort of issue arises with other jobs like the trades. Vocational schools and training can help but it can take many years of apprenticeship for an employee to develop skills in the trades. Even relatively simple jobs like driving a truck can take considerable time to master.

If your company can hire someone and get them up to speed in a month, I would consider looking at a different career.
Well it has been true of every single employer I have worked for in my adult life. I'm in my late 20s.

Here is just one example. Check out the employment forum here for the AAPC (a medical coding accreditation agency). You will find endless stories of certified candidates unable to find work because no one will hire them without many years of on the job experience. Doesn't matter how much schooling they have. Most medical coding jobs are repetitive jokes that someone with half a brain can perform as long as they know where to look in the book.

https://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/

I work in healthcare revenue cycle. I have for all 4 years of my career in this field witnessed absolutely absurd requirements and hoops for the jobs posted. Generally, any job that is not high level can be mostly learned within a month. Harder stuff is grasped by a year in. Harder stuff could be grasped sooner if teams weren't short staffed and proper training could be given. These jobs didn't used to have these hoops but somehow they came about in the past decade.

Edit: I see that you are retired and have absolutely NO IDEA what the entry level job market is like today. Spare me.

Last edited by Happiness-is-close; 09-07-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Less people are qualified for entry into the labor market than before

Five years of declining college enrollment

Regarding OJT, A lot of the entry-level people switch jobs frequently. It works both ways.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Employers caused that. During the recession and even until today they put extreme qualifications on jobs that applicants cant reach. People have unemployment gaps because employers just weren't hiring for so many years and now that employers want to hire they are getting applicants with employment gaps. Employers did this to themselves.
I agree with this point. Back in 2000 dot come crash, if you took more than a few months off, employers questioned what you've been doing. A gap of one year and they came up with excuse that you're not up to date. When I was unemployed in 1990, I had a kid, it took me 2 years to find work because there was also a recession. Nobody came up with that excuse. It's time to put a ban on this practice. We need people to work on contribute to SS and our tax base.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:21 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Edit: I see that you are retired and have absolutely NO IDEA what the entry level job market is like today. Spare me.
I know a lot more about entry level jobs than you might think. I certainly understand the coding and healthcare revenue cycle jobs.

As you pointed out, many jobs in this area are entry level and require little or no college level education and certification is often optional. As you also point out, someone with no experience could learn on the job and be up to speed in about a month. Since you have been working in the field for 4 years, I suggest you give some serious consideration to your future advancement. Having a job is great but having an "entry" doesn't mean a lot if there are no opportunities.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Old 09-08-2016, 03:05 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Sports andmisty

Okay what does that have to do the topic of this thread? You do know that fast food is not the only job that can be automated most jobs can probably including whatever job you do.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I agree with this point. Back in 2000 dot come crash, if you took more than a few months off, employers questioned what you've been doing. A gap of one year and they came up with excuse that you're not up to date. When I was unemployed in 1990, I had a kid, it took me 2 years to find work because there was also a recession. Nobody came up with that excuse. It's time to put a ban on this practice. We need people to work on contribute to SS and our tax base.
I'm a geologist and due to the oil and gas downturn there are few jobs. I got laid off a decent job two years ago. After that I did a years work as a subcontractor on a project (self-employed). I have a fair amount of savings and no debt (thank you, grants and scholarships!) and I know how to live very frugal (Sorry Main St, I'm not shopping there). So I'm ok for a while.

Now that I have a gap, and I'm close to 50 now, I assume that I'm completely unemployable. Any geology related jobs I have been underqualified for. Any other jobs won't look at me because I have a science degree and I'm overqualified. If I left my degree and science related work off my resume I'd have a 12 year gap, so I can't do that.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Job market on a personal front seems better in So Cal, lots of interest, just not a lot of good fits.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I'm a geologist and due to the oil and gas downturn there are few jobs. I got laid off a decent job two years ago.......
Now that I have a gap, and I'm close to 50 now, I assume that I'm completely unemployable. ........
There is a big shortage of teachers with science backgrounds. It is probably a lot easier than you think to get the credentials for teaching and a decent job with good retirement. If that field does not seem like something you want, there are plenty of other opportunities for careers in demand.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
I'll concur that requirements in job announcements get more and more ridiculous every year. I've brought this up at work -- that our younger selves would not qualify for our entry level jobs anymore based on the requirements.

The last position I hired for was a systems analyst. Starting pay high 50s. No one who applied met the job description. Nobody. It was written in such a way that the outgoing analyst and his predecessors were the only qualified people in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics