Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
250,000 jobs lost and counting. Those jobs are GONE. And the people who held them are now out of work.
You didn't answer if oil workers are union.
It seems that some areas of the profession are unionized, some are not.
(Outside of the US, almost all workers in any area of the oil industry are unionized.).

One good step would be getting rid of the unions. That would mean more flexibility when there is a downturn (pay cuts versus folks being laid off, per union contract).

The unemployment rate in Texas, the Dakotas, etc. is still around 4-5% so I assume that SOME of those laid off have found jobs??

Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That's not how it works. People who were making 100k are now making whatever unemployment pays. Companies don't reduce salaries across the board, they layoff a percentage of the work force.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Oil-Jobs-Lost-250000-And-Counting-Texas-Likely-To-See-Massive-Layoffs-Soon.html
Are they ALL on unemployment, or did some find other jobs? (the unemployment rate in Texas, the Dakotas, etc, is still low).

Old 05-20-2016, 10:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You didn't answer if oil workers are union.
It seems that some areas of the profession are unionized, some are not.
(Outside of the US, almost all workers in any area of the oil industry are unionized.).

One good step would be getting rid of the unions. That would mean more flexibility when there is a downturn (pay cuts versus folks being laid off, per union contract).

The unemployment rate in Texas, the Dakotas, etc. is still around 4-5% so I assume that SOME of those laid off have found jobs??
When someone loses their job, do they give a rats whether it was a union job or not? No, they care that they can no longer provide for their families. Do they care that the unemployment rate in their state is only 4-5%? no, they care that their unemployment rate is 100%.

If you really care about how many are unemployed in the oil business, I'm sure Google can help you.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
When someone loses their job, do they give a rats whether it was a union job or not? No, they care that they can no longer provide for their families. Do they care that the unemployment rate in their state is only 4-5%? no, they care that their unemployment rate is 100%.

If you really care about how many are unemployed in the oil business, I'm sure Google can help you.
Well, unions better start paying more attention to their workers actually having JOBS, rather than side issues. (In other words, unions better start to reform themselves...)
This is why some unions are up in arms against other unions lately........some unions actually DO still care about things like employment.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
I absolutely don't care about the national economy; I care about my neighbors.
(What percentage of people make their personal spending and financial decisions based on what's best for the national economy?? Zero??)
And that is a huge problem - the holy trinity of I, me and myself - forget the rest of them.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:44 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Well, unions better start paying more attention to their workers actually having JOBS, rather than side issues. ......

Whoa.. First the issue of union goals is mainly the issue of union management staying in business. To do that constant strife with management is the first concern. Without that strife members have little interest in the unions or the union management. This is one of the biggest reasons that unions became unpopular. Who wants to work where there is constant strife and contention between business management and employees? Businesses don't want that and neither do employees.

In the past unions did a lot to protect jobs. There were all sorts of featherbedding and union rules about exactly who could do what. Those rules were designed to provide more jobs and of course those jobs needed to be paid well or strikes were a risk. The union system guaranteed high pay and poor efficiency. It got so far out of hand that globalization cleaned up and drove US companies either out of business or making products in overseas factories.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:53 PM

204 posts, read 184,698 times
Quote:
Of course they aren't doing anything illegal, unethical, or unsavory.
I'd say climate change denial is unethical, and the massive subsidies they receive from the government sure seem unsavory to me.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
I'd say climate change denial is unethical, and the massive subsidies they receive from the government sure seem unsavory to me.
I think that pushing the climate change issue is unethical.
So I guess we're even on that one.....

Old 05-20-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And that is a huge problem - the holy trinity of I, me and myself - forget the rest of them.
Who are you talking about.... me? Or the people who don't care about the people suffering from high energy prices?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I just have to say that. I live in an area that's pretty reliant on oil products.
And while I know that prices have been climbing a little bit in recent months, I have to say how glad I am that all the "oil guys" (producers, sellers, traders, etc.) have had MUCH smaller margins over the last couple years. I love the idea that they are no longer making money hand over fist, and I love that my neighbors are keeping that money.
You're clueless on how the low oil prices has a further reaching effect than your neck of the woods. What do you think those "oil" people were doing with that money? Unless they were hiding it under their pillow it gets put back in the local, national or international economy.
That guy you're so glad is now "taking the high hard one" is about to lose his house/car/job has a huge impact. That guy going to work making 100k, supported the local bank, the realtor, the car dealer, the repair shop, the supermarket, the local doctor, the local school, the local mall, the local plumber/electrician/tv guy water guy etc.
but now he can't. And if many more like him lose their jobs then all those people HIS job supported are going to be put out of work. Hell you may be one of the people that "very bad oil man" supported.
So keep gloating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics