Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I dispute that. Government is the source of property rights and government can prevent property owners from selling you property you can afford, and then shrug because you own no property for government to 'protect'. I certainly do not have any right to purchase a tiny piece of land where I live and put a tiny house on it. It's no accident that the propertyless were excluded from participating in the Framing, and thus have weak property rights, if any.
Could you expand on this a bit. I never heard of Government selling me property rights or preventing me from selling a property I own. Local laws might zone a property and if if I want to sell at a higher price I may need to try and rezone it. But I can always sell for it it is zoned.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Could you expand on this a bit. I never heard of Government selling me property rights or preventing me from selling a property I own. Local laws might zone a property and if if I want to sell at a higher price I may need to try and rezone it. But I can always sell for it it is zoned.

What do you think ZONING does? If you live in any populated place, go read your local zoning code, platted subdivisions are the norm and minimum lot sizes are standard. Specifically, outside of rural areas, it's rare to find any place where a property owner can sell you a 2,500 square foot piece of land. Also, so-called "accessory dwelling units" (ADUs) aka granny flats, mother-in-law units, guest houses CANNOT be sold separately under standard zoning practices - they shall not be "segregated in ownership".

Yes you can sell a property you own. But if you own a property with an ADU - say a guest house - you can't sell just the ADU to someone who can afford the ADU but not the entire property.

You have only those property rights government allows you to have, e.g. you do not have the right to sell just your guest house. And the minimum lot size requirement usually prevents you from selling the guest house by splitting your lot into two lots - you'd need to own a double lot in order to split it into two.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:08 AM

128 posts, read 102,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The faculty at major universities continue to focus on & encourage their students in the pursuit of knowledge “for its own sake” and, simultaneously, as the educational foundation for youth preparing to occupy positions of power and influence in society as members of the Intelligentsia who will Think Great Thoughts and discuss them In Salon with other Thinkers of Great Thoughts.

This view is quaint, reactionary, and of course relies upon public funding of such private endeavors where the ROI to society's investment in The Great Thinker is unclear. It is indicative of a time many decades ago when bright young men went to Harvard or Yale to assume their rightful spot among other Intelligentsia without regard to returning economic benefit to society for the investment society made in them in the first place. Worst case (or best case, depending on your point of view) such now-educated men might pursue a career in Foreign Service or other branch of the Federal Government. It was indicative of an era where the purpose of higher education was not to prepare you for a job but rather to prepare you to be a better citizen where you would then go on to your rightful place managing the country.

The current movement is that higher education is no longer higher (only intended for the bright and promising). Indeed, many people argue higher education should become basic in that it is provided for free to all comers in the same way that primary and secondary education are both "free" and expected.
That is exactly what John Dewey and his ilk set out to do was to destroy America and the United states of America through turning the education from a preparatory environment for souls to enhance their prosperity and productivity to mere predatory psychological laboratories to turn out mindless automatons (see: The Leipzig Connection, Underground History of American Education). John Dewey is on the record specifically saying the and his ilk intended to dumb down the mathematics education in the United States of America so that it would effectively be useless.

If you ever studied the Dewey Decimal System (by a different "Dewey" rather than John Dewey) you'll see that it actually is designed to confuse and create logical separations between subjects at libraries and to prevent associations between fields of study from being obviated. Things that should be next to each other on the same shelf are often in a completely different part of the library thanks to Melvil Dewey.

Nonetheless, John Dewey and his ilk they actually set out to take over printing presses and such to redefine education and mankind: education as a lab-rat experiment for programming drones and mankind as being soul-less (animals). A rough summary: government as Aristotelian oligarchy for 1% private wealth management vs Common Wealth of Equity (Plato, the Bible, etc.).

The attack has been multi-pronged: [1] dumbing people down about money (that took control over education from the mid 1800s through the 1950s and beyond but most of the dumbing down happened by the 1930s) [2] dumbing people down about spiritual principles and business management [3] dumbing and bogging people down through pesticides and toxins and treating the symptoms as 'depression' or 'chronic fatigue disorder' or 'ADD/ADHD' or as 'peanut allergies' [4] taking control over companies that fail once the faulty business management practices are applied and gutting them of their intellectual property, trade secrets and patent and then the technology overseas.

Its amazing how many Americans fail to realize how much of the technological infrastructure of the World is founded upon publicly-funded research (grants, etc.) to public and private American universities but then the same technology is sold back to Americans at a steep premium.

The attack on the family structure (believe it or not, traditional family is a government itself but that has been hidden) divide between age groups started with age segregation of classrooms which put a barrier between older students and younger students to prevent transfer of knowledge and wisdom so the dumbing down could first begin and also it continued with the 50s/60s PSYOPs that made teenagers think of themselves as a separate species from their parents (much like feminism makes some women think of themselves as a separate species to men): same ol' same ol' -> divide and conquer. Getting teens and others to see their own destruction as 'freedom'.

Also, secular humanism is based upon the idea of an assertion of mankind being at most soulless, animal-level robots: no laws, no rules for beasts only programs and roles.

Books (most can be purchased via Amazon or the like):

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-29-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 11:18 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
That is exactly what John Dewey and his ilk set out to do was to destroy America and the United States through turning the education from a predatory environment for souls to enhance their prosperity and productivity to mere psychological laboratories to turn out mindless automatons (see: The Leipzig Connection, Underground History of American Education). If you ever studied the Dewey Decimal System you'll see that it actually is designed to confuse and create logical separations between subjects at libraries and to prevent associations between fields of study from being obviated. Things that should be next to each other on the same shelf are often in a completely different part of the library thanks to John Dewey. John Dewey is on the record specifically saying the and his ilk intended to dumb down the mathematics education in the United States of America so that it would effectively be useless.
The Dewey Decimal system was created by Melvil Dewey, a completely different person than John Dewey.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:28 AM

128 posts, read 102,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The Dewey Decimal system was created by Melvil Dewey, a completely different person than John Dewey.
TY. Was still editing. To add in support of your post: John Dewey to knowledge is not related to Melvil Dewey.

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-29-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 01:33 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,771 times
Quote:
A house you own is, at a minimum, a cost stabilizer and a HEDGE against rent inflation, which I consider crucial to low earners if they are to build wealth. Housing you rent makes landlords wealthy and keeps low earners poor forever.
You could move to where I live which is very pleasant and there's oodles and oodles of jobs available and he cost of living is very low. I've mentioned this many times, but you are too lazy to do it. No sympathy at all from me. You could buy a house here even and it's pleasant and nice. I'm sitting on my balcony right now in a brand new apartment complex that has every amenity you could ever want for a very reasonable price.

But you aren't interested in anything by pity. You don't have mine.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lets reverse that , can you name the correct choices you made . all your choices we see were one poor one after another starting with your career and lack of motivation and skills .
Which continues to this very minute.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You picked pre-law as your undergrad major and didn't do well enough to get into a law school with a free ride. You then did nothing to create any job skills that could have made you worth paying high compensation. Near as I can tell, you choose to wallow in self pity and blame the system rather than doing something about it.

For example, you're web surfing right now instead of spending the time acquiring job skills to earn more pay. Why are you doing that?
Are you saying that his 25 thousand plus posts aren't absolutely necessary?

I post here all the time and I don't even have a thousand yet. Geez.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:20 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
TY. Was still editing. To add in support of your post: John Dewey to knowledge is not related to Melvil Dewey.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:23 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
I dispute that. Government is the source of property rights and government can prevent property owners from selling you property you can afford, and then shrug because you own no property for government to 'protect'.
You not liking what property rights provide you isn't the same as not having them.

Quote:
What bad choices have I made in the past 20 years?
I'm going to take a wild guess that someone with 26k posts that hasn't taken the time to improve their job skillset to be marketable is making poor choices in prioritization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics