Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 08:53 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Theme of the thread: Stupid, stupid people! I am so smart.

Mick

Pretty much the theme of C-D

If you don't drive a $5K used car, you are an idiot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:14 AM

772 posts, read 913,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Jamie Dimon just sounded the alarm on auto loans

Not mentioned in the article, but the average loan for a new vehicle is now 68 months as well. 66 months for used vehicles.

Sounds like a lot of people make a lot of bad decisions to me. I dont see a ton of new Mercedes and BMWs on the road, must be a lot of subprime borrowers making up the market here. Does not seem very healthy.

The cost of me missing one day of work is over $200 gross. I don't looks at my $420 / month car payment as being dumb with money ..

I look at buying that 1$200 Honda Accord, to save money foolish.. twice in the first 4 months it cost me to miss work.. the first time the battery was dead, second time the starter failed .. yippie it was paid for, but it cost me over $400 in lost wages ..

there's a balance to be found here.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:42 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
The cost of me missing one day of work is over $200 gross. I don't looks at my $420 / month car payment as being dumb with money ..

I look at buying that 1$200 Honda Accord, to save money foolish.. twice in the first 4 months it cost me to miss work.. the first time the battery was dead, second time the starter failed .. yippie it was paid for, but it cost me over $400 in lost wages ..

Yup. And for some of us the consequences of missing work or even being late are much more dire.

For a guy in the military, who can be called in on a moments notice, being late even once could cost him $50,000 (half pay for two months, and a reduction in rank that results in depressed total career earnings) and his freedom for two months.

Doesn't mean he needs a GT350 that he can afford insurance on after the car note is paid, but seeing as a car is all these young guys have, it's not unreasonable for them to have a nice car (and all their basic food, basic entertainment, and basic housing are covered).

For a doctor they could lose months of work if they are following a patient through their pregnancy and have car trouble when delivery time occurs, or things could go sideways and they could be unable to respond due to car failure (not much time to wait for an uber, and you can't live at the hospital whenever you have a soon to be mother in the delivery window).

And then the wage of a doctor, miss a morning and your panel will be pissed, or your ER will be stacked, or your surgery board will be shot, and you might just be out hundreds for being a few hours late.

Again, no need for a Lexus 600 series, a reliable accord will do the trick, but if you like driving you'll not be content even with the very impressive manual accord coupe V6, and it's only money, how much do you need in retirement?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How do I invest at 1% when I have to pay back the zero percent loan?

Now I have a paid off vehicle, and can invest all that money that Id be using to pay off that loan. Win win.
You put it in a 1% interest online savings account and withdraw your payment every month. At the end of the loan you have earned interest on the savings and paid none on the loan. You win.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Exactly.

I don't have firm data on this but I would say the price of SUVs and light trucks have gone up way faster than the rate of inflation.

Back in 2000, dad bought a baseline S-10 for $9,995 - straight drive, manual everything, no AC even. Today, the lowest possible price of a Coloardo is $20,100.
Trucks and SUV's definitely.

Cars can still be had cheap - Nissan Versa for about $14K.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,598 times
Quote:

If you are on Salary none of that matters.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:08 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Yup. And for some of us the consequences of missing work or even being late are much more dire.

For a guy in the military, who can be called in on a moments notice, being late even once could cost him $50,000 (half pay for two months, and a reduction in rank that results in depressed total career earnings) and his freedom for two months.

Doesn't mean he needs a GT350 that he can afford insurance on after the car note is paid, but seeing as a car is all these young guys have, it's not unreasonable for them to have a nice car (and all their basic food, basic entertainment, and basic housing are covered).

For a doctor they could lose months of work if they are following a patient through their pregnancy and have car trouble when delivery time occurs, or things could go sideways and they could be unable to respond due to car failure (not much time to wait for an uber, and you can't live at the hospital whenever you have a soon to be mother in the delivery window).

And then the wage of a doctor, miss a morning and your panel will be pissed, or your ER will be stacked, or your surgery board will be shot, and you might just be out hundreds for being a few hours late.

Again, no need for a Lexus 600 series, a reliable accord will do the trick, but if you like driving you'll not be content even with the very impressive manual accord coupe V6, and it's only money, how much do you need in retirement?

All those negative consequences come from being late or missing a day?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Then how does anyone have children? If they are sick you are out $200?!?!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

Don't doctors have families? Does everyone get mad if the kid is sick?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,279 times
Kind of sucks when $25,000-$30,000 doesn't get you much anymore. And if you have a couple "new car" payments, then you are almost paying an extra mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics